John McGinn

What amazes me is that we have had McLean, Mcginn, Mallan, Morgan and McAllister and yet have received under 1 m for the lot. Piss poor to be fair. Yes give me the contract stats of hey wouldn’t sign again etc etc but other clubs have banked Millions whilst we have basically produced some excellent talent for very little financial reward

3 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

What amazes me is that we have had McLean, Mcginn, Mallan, Morgan and McAllister and yet have received under 1 m for the lot. Piss poor to be fair. Yes give me the contract stats of hey wouldn’t sign again etc etc but other clubs have banked Millions whilst we have basically produced some excellent talent for very little financial reward

In recent times, what club in Scotland has banked millions?

struggling to think, other than Armstrong recently.

Guest TPAFKATS
Hamilton, hibs and Dundee United?

8 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Do you not think we could have done a wee bit better out of these guys?

Potentially, but most were also nearing the end or at the end of their contract. We can get all romantic about players signing a new contract to maximise the return for the club, but it’s never going to happen.

McAllister was bought purely on potential. Unfortunately, the lad has hardly played since moving. Could argue that deal has turned out to be a belter! 

Just now, TPAFKATS said:
12 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Hamilton, hibs and Dundee United?

On who though? McCarthy moved from Hamilton in 2009...Andreu perhaps? But I  still think that was a sympathy purchase from Neil :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Hambud said:

He has history of digging his heals in and not really giving too hoots about teams that have played a big part in his development.
Fair play that single mindedness probably makes him the player he is.

If we had played our cards right we would have sold him the year before his contract ended (with add ons) as his final year and unceremoniousl exit left a bit of a sour taste.

:D

He has a history of????

He’s only played for 2 clubs and he hasn’t even left one of them yet!!

:lol:

4 hours ago, Hambud said:

He has history of digging his heals in and not really giving too hoots about teams that have played a big part in his development.

If we had played our cards right we would have sold him the year before his contract ended (with add ons) as his final year and unceremoniousl exit left a bit of a sour 

I just love the way you feel you can just spout this nonsense without having to back any of it up. :lol:

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Potentially, but most were also nearing the end or at the end of their contract. We can get all romantic about players signing a new contract to maximise the return for the club, but it’s never going to happen.

Obviously the ship had already sailed by that point but we don't just wake up one day and realise they are at the end of their contract. This has resulted in a lack of vision and and a poor long term strategy to get a return on investment on these players.

Letting contracts run down because we dont want to risk giving young promising players a longer deal is a poor idea and will have cost us a significant amount of money.

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

McAllister was bought purely on potential. Unfortunately, the lad has hardly played since moving. Could argue that deal has turned out to be a belter! 

McAllister is still young and could have a decent future. That being said, playing in the English 23s every week is shit for development compared to playing SPL/Scots Championship week in week out. His best chance for development would have been to remain, but most 18 year olds wouldn't have rejected that move.

How much did we get for McAllister?

6 hours ago, Hambud said:

If we had played our cards right we would have sold him the year before his contract ended (with add ons) as his final year and unceremoniousl exit left a bit of a sour taste.

Except no one tabled a bid for McGinn while he had 1 year left on his contract with us. Even when he was available for only his development fee, Hibs were the only club interested in paying that, otherwise he was off to Major League Soccer in the USofA.

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

Obviously the ship had already sailed by that point but we don't just wake up one day and realise they are at the end of their contract. This has resulted in a lack of vision and and a poor long term strategy to get a return on investment on these players.

Letting contracts run down because we dont want to risk giving young promising players a longer deal is a poor idea and will have cost us a significant amount of money.

The club doesn't let contracts run down for promising young players. John McGinn and Kenny McLean and Lewis Morgan all signed up for a few years and in some cases extended their contracts 2 or 3 times. Jack Baird had his contract extended under Gary Teale (May 2015) and Jack Ross (May 2017, and January 2018). Kyle Magennis has extended his contract three times since breaking into the first team in October 2016, signing an extension in December 2016 and in May 2017 and again in June 2018.  Jason Naismith signed two contract extensions in May and November 2013, Sean Kelly signed a 2-year extension a few months after his debut and was released when his contract expired.

There comes a point where young players who are being tipped to move to bigger clubs don't want to sign further extensions when they are offered them, as a transfer fee can put medium-sized clubs off or force them to wait until the player can sign a PCA or leave for a development fee.

Most of our younger players who have begun to shine after a few games in the first team have been offered improved contracts and contract extensions. One month after making his competitive debut for us John McGinn signed a new 3-year contract until the summer of 2015 when he left after his contract ran out. After two games with the first team, Kenny McLean signed a contract extension in October 2010 which kept him contracted until the summer of 2014. That summer he signed a further 2-year extension although Aberdeen signed him at the end of the January 2015 transfer window. Lewis Morgan made his debut under Tommy Craig in September 2014, and made 8 appearances that season and at the end of it signed a 2-year contract extension, and then signed a further 1-year extension when Alex Rae was manager. Stevie Mallan made his debut in November 2014 and signed a 3-year extension in January 2015.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Ultimately it would be great for us if we are able to get hold of 33% of any transfer but as things stand, barring interest from down south, Celtic are the only ones bidding. Why should they pay more than they have to for a player? Why should hibs not hold out for more or calculate that it is worth keeping him this season unless their valuation is met? They owe us nothing. It concerns me that some are building too much store on getting a slice of the transfer as the be all of what we do in the next month.

3 hours ago, paulsmfc said:

Tam McManus reporting on Twitter that there were English Championship scouts at the Hibs game raving about McGinn.

Would be great if just one club came in with a bigger offer , which would force Celtic's hand !

15 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
16 hours ago, DougJamie said:
See if Brown helps Tic get to Group Stages and we get a 600k windfall- I shall bring that back to haunt you :wink:

Guy is a fanny, but a total work engine

Celtic may well reach the group stage. Doesn't mean that brown hasn't been exposed as being past it when playing in CL and for Scotland over the past couple of years.

Behave- Guy is quality and best Scottish player we have had for last 15 years. Yes he is a dick though

If Lee Cattermole held down a gig in England’s top flight, then there’s no doubt Scott Brown could have done so too. I don’t like his demeanour on the field, but he comes over fine in interviews and seems softly spoken. He is an excellent player though.

Guest TPAFKATS
On who though? McCarthy moved from Hamilton in 2009...Andreu perhaps? But I  still think that was a sympathy purchase from Neil :rolleyes:
I thought they also got a wad of cash for McArthur? However if you weren't meaning 2009 to be recent times then I would look at the guy Hamilton sold to West ham (?), the youngster Falkirk sold to a championship club both of whom were very inexperienced and the aforementioned United who sold their talent to celtic.

43 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
13 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I thought they also got a wad of cash for McArthur? However if you weren't meaning 2009 to be recent times then I would look at the guy Hamilton sold to West ham (?), the youngster Falkirk sold to a championship club both of whom were very inexperienced and the aforementioned United who sold their talent to celtic.

Gallagher from Falkirk moved for £200k, but you might be right on Hendrie. Newspaper reports say £1m. Think McArthur went for under £1m too.

problem is that Mallan, Morgan and McAllister had pretty much only played in the Scottish Championship and therefore are judged accordingly. Mallan moved to English Championship for £200k and it didn’t work, so how can you justify asking for a higher fee?

We can bang on about transfer fees, but realistically very few non-OF move for any more than £500k. McCarthy was a large fee, but he’s went on to have a great career and he did move in 2009.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:31 PM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not if we're to believe the suggestion that he only wants to play for Celtic it won't.

I hope he gets the move he wants in August. 

Good move for him.  Good move for Hibs. Good for Celtic.