John McGinn

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

What a cracking player I can't speake highly enough of John we are so lucky to have him a natural leader and a future St Mirren manager. I hope the day he has to stop playing we keep him and help get his coaching badges while making him part of the back team a kind of apprenticeship an investment for the future. 

Okay, I'm confused:huh:

You would imagine that hibs would maybe want to discuss a loan back option (similar to morgan), rather than lose him for nothing if there is no movement from down south over the next week. Will be interesting to see how it pans out but would be surprised if Hibs let him run out his contract without coming to some arrangement. 

8 minutes ago, truesaint said:

You would imagine that hibs would maybe want to discuss a loan back option (similar to morgan), rather than lose him for nothing if there is no movement from down south over the next week. Will be interesting to see how it pans out but would be surprised if Hibs let him run out his contract without coming to some arrangement. 

You would imagine that Hibs need to get real. They could do with money to buy a new defense - Whats it now last 4 games 5-5,6-1,6-4, 3-2  F 20 A 12. Managed to lose a 3-0 lead to be 5-3 down , managed to go 2-0 down in 6 mins to the wee diddy team they beat.  

Take the 2.5 m and stop playing hard ball or they and we will lose

1 hour ago, truesaint said:

No way Hibs will let a potential £2m go down the drain. I still think he will go but the longer they hold onto him the less they will eventually accept as they get nervous about him leaving for nothing. Also, if John's head is turned will Hibs get the best out of him?

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

No way Hibs will let a potential £2m go down the drain. I still think he will go but the longer they hold onto him the less they will eventually accept as they get nervous about him leaving for nothing. Also, if John's head is turned will Hibs get the best out of him?

I agree, plus if McGinn is not part of their plans hadn't they better have a Plan A to bolster their midfield, as that will be two mainstays gone. Just hope our Captain Fantastic is not on their radar

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

Did Lennon not tell John that "he wasn't even the best player in his house". I'm sure he made a discreet enquiry last close season.

As mentioned before , I had a long conversation with Lewis Stevenson in Majorca last year. Lennon is a big fan of SMcG  and Stevenson himself called him a great player !

31 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I can see Stephen  finishing his career at St Mirren.  Only way i could see him thinking about leaving is if we were relegated. He's our captain and hero worshiped by the fans.

I’m not normally a soppy sentimentalist, but on this occasion I think you may be right. At the very least, I think it would take a lot more than a few extra bob flung at him by a club like Hibs for him to leave us.

As for Hibs/John, as I said before, if the comments about him only wanting to play for Celtic are true, then I think Hibs may have shot their bolt. If I were Celtic I’d retract my 2.5m offer, wait until deadline day, offer a much reduced but still sizeable new offer (say 1.5m) and let Hibs take it or leave it.  Safe in the knowledge that if Hibs knock them back, then they can just wait till January and get him for nowt. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

The main issue is that McGinn isn't really needed by Celtic right now, and they can quite easily wait to get him on a free, it'd take an incredible season from him to properly get interest from any English teams that'd be of similar standard and potential wages/bonuses.

I liked McGinn when he was with us, but he didn't strike me as particularly technically gifted, especially compared to Mallan or McLean nor athletic, but he made up for it with loads of dig, that's only going to get you so far. I reckon he'd be lost against the majority of midfielders down south where being physical against them isn't enough to get close to them.