John McGinn

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

It would be a curious scenario if this (or any alternative) deal is struck on an 'undisclosed fee' basis.

Clearly, St Mirren would be entitled to have sight of the contract, but is it the case that we - the supporters of all clubs involved - might never know what the final deal consists of?

I invite comments regardless if how ill-informed.

Clubs have the right to 'undisclose' the deal unfortunately. Generally it does come out one way or another though. Can tell often by the public annual accounts. 

31 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It's 100% what happens. The deal is 33% of profit for McGinn. If Hibs benefit from future sales it's profit. 

On the basis that Bazil was 100% spot on all along about the player swap scenario, I'm gping to believe that he's right about this too.

Apart from anything else, it stands to reason. Hibs could royally shaft us otherwise, as long as they were pretty confident that McGinn would move on to bigger or better things.

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

On the basis that Bazil was 100% spot on all along about the player swap scenario, I'm gping to believe that he's right about this too.

Apart from anything else, it stands to reason. Hibs could royally shaft us otherwise, as long as they were pretty confident that McGinn would move on to bigger or better things.

This is it, it's risk and reward. We took a risk he'd be sold on and accepted a smaller up front fee, Hibs could do the same. We're still owed 33% of any profit Hibs make from John McGinn. Even if the next team and the next and the next do it, any cash profit coming to Hibs from Mcginn transfers, we're owed 33% of it. 

Great business if it comes off. 

54 minutes ago, Drew said:

I wouldn't imagine so.

We have to delude ourselves into believing that we do/will, however, as to believe otherwise would strongly suggest that we are on here wasting our time talking random shite that is apropos of absolutely nothing - and that quite simply would not do!

Stewart Gilmour confirmed when asked a while back on Twitter what the deal was. He said it was 33% sell-on from Hibs' sale of the player. Nothing mentioned beyond that.

36 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

as the final deal will never be fully revealed, we wil never know how much cash, if any, is allocated as part of any player swap deal.  It's easy to make pronouncements on how things will be when no-one will ever confirm or deny the components of the deal in public.  I don't think Hibs will be wrapped up in a conspiracy to shaft us as the likelihood is they will be looking to do business with us in the future.

clubs have a whole host of reasons as to why they don't want disclosure as the deal could be sliced and diced for tax reasons or to keep elements of the payment out of the hands of creditors.  Imagine a Hibs director made a contribution to the money we got from Hibs and they are entitled to a slice of any fee Hibs recieve, or a whole host of side companies are involved in tht way .   In that scenario, a share of profit as opposed to a share of a fee is a less good deal for us, my money is on us getting a share of the future fee and that would probably end if Hibs ever actually make a profit on him.  One would hope that Saint Mirren's standard Ts & Cs would be written to preclude that scenario developing as you NEVER know how a buying club are financing the purchase.

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

It's 100% what happens. The deal is 33% of profit for McGinn. If Hibs benefit from future sales it's profit. 

If he goes ill be happy to ask Gordon at the AGM.

Its the profit from his next sale, with is say £3.8m if he's sold for £4m. Hibs sell on would be for any profit that Villa made.

There's no way its a never ending trail whilst John McGinn keeps being sold on.

7 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Its the profit from his next sale, with is say £3.8m if he's sold for £4m. Hibs sell on would be for any profit that Villa made.

Don't think Basil is saying its a never ending trail. Only as far as sell on clauses are included. I think it unlikely that if Villa sold him they would be including a sell on clause, These clauses are very much about potential. If Villa sold him to a bigger club, I think he'd be reaching his potential and they'd be looking for cold hard cash. Therefore when they sold him they'd pay out Hibs, who would in turn pay out us. Then that would be the end of it.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, foxbar_bud said:

Sellic got a % of  Virgil van Diijk transfer from Southampton to Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, HSS said:

Same deal as Saints got from Hibs.  

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don't think Basil is saying its a never ending trail. Only as far as sell on clauses are included. I think it unlikely that if Villa sold him they would be including a sell on clause, These clauses are very much about potential. If Villa sold him to a bigger club, I think he'd be reaching his potential and they'd be looking for cold hard cash. Therefore when they sold him they'd pay out Hibs, who would in turn pay out us. Then that would be the end of it.

That's what he is implying.  I can't imagine a further sale would yield to Saints, other than the cascade system (my name for it) where a minor percentage of future monies that is payable to clubs with a  stake in the player's development.  

It's not even guaranteed that Hibs will get a sale, never mind one that gives them a sell-on

24 minutes ago, HSS said:

3 minutes ago, HSS said:

Silly me :lol:

I'm pretty sure Groningen, who sold VVD to Celtic with a sell-on clause and profited from the sale to Southampton, also received money from Celtic when VVD went to Liverpool.

44 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I'm pretty sure Groningen, who sold VVD to Celtic with a sell-on clause and profited from the sale to Southampton, also received money from Celtic when VVD went to Liverpool.

That's what I meant............:rolleyes:

That will be development fee. It usually works out to be washers (possibly not on a £75m deal mind you)

Just now, the barrhead teacher said:

Herald reporting Celtic have matched Aston Villa fee and salary-23,000 a week. Apparently straight choice for mcginn now.

Unless another English club step in or Villa up their offer.