John McGinn

1 minute ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Herald reporting Celtic have matched Aston Villa fee and salary-23,000 a week. Apparently straight choice for mcginn now.

Brendan near to tears over this. Celtic matching rather than bettering the Villa offer looks desperate. Go to Villa John. Either way, well done Hibs for standing up to that shower at Parkhead.

It's just a bit disappointing that Villa didn't just come along and completely blow Celtic out of the water. Show them up for the small time penny pinching bassturts that they are.

I suppose in reality it doesn't work like that though. Villa know what Celtic have offered in the past, so why would they go much higher than that. Although if they are aware of McGinn's apparent desire to play for Celtic, then maybe they should have thought they'd need make it an offer he couldn't refuse. I guess it just depends how much they want the player. 

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Problem Villa have is that they are financially fecked. I’d be concerned if he went to Villa and we never received any money if they went into administration. They have recently struggled to pay the tax man and also are struggling to repay outstanding transfer fees to other clubs. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nassef-sawiris-villa-wes-edens-14985268

35 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Herald reporting Celtic have matched Aston Villa fee and salary-23,000 a week. Apparently straight choice for mcginn now.

Hibs had insisted that Celtic had not met their valuation of the player with their trio of offers but the Parkhead side returned with a deal that was in keeping with the Leith club’s estimation this week.

28 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Problem Villa have is that they are financially fecked. I’d be concerned if he went to Villa and we never received any money if they went into administration. They have recently struggled to pay the tax man and also are struggling to repay outstanding transfer fees to other clubs. 

25 minutes ago, David Mc said:

I was going to say, after the game on Monday night Steve Bruce and the commentators were going on about Villa having new owners and it being exciting times??

16 hours ago, foxbar_bud said:

If he goes ill be happy to ask Gordon at the AGM.

Its the profit from his next sale, with is say £3.8m if he's sold for £4m. Hibs sell on would be for any profit that Villa made.

There's no way its a never ending trail whilst John McGinn keeps being sold on.

of course it is, it's the way transfers work. If any money filters through to Hibs as profit for John McGinn then we get 33% of it.

Not sure why people find it so hard to believe. St Mirren and Hibs signed a deal saying Hibs will owe St Mirren 33% of any profit they make from the player, given how many ways clauses and funds move in football, why wouldn't we benefit from a sell-on? It would be part of the overall value of the transfer between Hibs and the buying club. 

By that reasoning if Villa/ Celtic wanted to pay it in instalments or on a set number of appearances, would we benefit? It all equates to the same thing. 

16 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don't think Basil is saying its a never ending trail. Only as far as sell on clauses are included. I think it unlikely that if Villa sold him they would be including a sell on clause, These clauses are very much about potential. If Villa sold him to a bigger club, I think he'd be reaching his potential and they'd be looking for cold hard cash. Therefore when they sold him they'd pay out Hibs, who would in turn pay out us. Then that would be the end of it.

Yeah that's correct. if a sell on clause isn't included then the chain stops. 

55 minutes ago, Yflab said:

New owners in charge, so they're fine financially I believe

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

And they are just about to sell midfielder Grealish to Spurs for £25m - enough to sign Stephen and Paul as well as John!

If the deal is done, then hopefully we'll be able to use some of the money to support any bids for players from England or elsewhere, just to get them over the line.

Fingers crossed that today and tomorrow are busy days for us in the transfer market.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

FFS!

That figure of £3.5m is a made up figure in your head!

McGinn will go for what he’s worth. We are getting a huge sum of money from it.

How on earth can it be disappointing?

It’s fcuking great IMO!

I'm just being greedy, FFS.

Leave me alone:(

57 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If the deal is done, then hopefully we'll be able to use some of the money to support any bids for players from England or elsewhere, just to get them over the line.

Fingers crossed that today and tomorrow are busy days for us in the transfer market.

If not today and tomorrow, then we have another 3 weeks to get busy...