John McGinn

Although in agreement with Shull yesterday about not squandering this windfall, we really should be modestly adding to this season's budget. 

We know there are goings on behind the scenes and these are seemingly moving at a snail's pace, but with the knowledge that this money is now coming, we should be looking at one or two players of absolute proven quality to solidify the squad. I'm in no way advocating blowing it but hopefully we can invest wisely and get a couple of exciting players through the door.

Folk are talking about releasing some funds for the manager on the back of this windfall.

How much are we talking here? £100K? £200K?

The niggling issue for me is that AS has already spunked £75K on a player who is currently sat on the bench, and looks a bit off a regular place in the starting 11.

That said, we undoubtedly need to strengthen, and a wee boost to the budget could make a big difference.

Tough call, and thankfully not one I have to make.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Folk are talking about releasing some funds for the manager on the back of this windfall.

How much are we talking here? £100K? £200K?

The niggling issue for me is that AS has already spunked £75K on a player who is currently sat on the bench, and looks a bit off a regular place in the starting 11.

That said, we undoubtedly need to strengthen, and a wee boost to the budget could make a big difference.

Tough call, and thankfully not one I have to make.

Agreed. Don't really know how much is enough, but sticking say £100k in a budget for wages over a season will potentially cover a couple of decent players.

Maybe it's just the lack of activity in a week that promised a lot of comings and goings that's got me twitchy, though. :lol: 

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm in no way advocating blowing it but hopefully we can invest wisely and get a couple of exciting players through the door.

Easier said than done... 

Ayr Utd have just turned down £150K for the guy generating excitement in Scottish football at the moment. Should we be offering that kind of fee for someone?

No doubt the money will help Stubbs, but at the same time, any club or player we deal with will want a bit of the McGinn money. We don't want to pay over the odds.

I think a chunk of the money should go towards the current team but most I'd invest in the academy and stadium.

17 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Just caps off a great 18 months for us! 

Wonder what will be done with the cash... W7 as safe standing for the start of 19/20?

This is the danger - more money than we’ve ever had and no idea how to spend it.  

Safe standing is a waste of money. 

Let the arguments commence. 

4 minutes ago, Maboza said:

This is the danger - more money than we’ve ever had and no idea how to spend it.  

Safe standing is a waste of money. 

Let the arguments commence. 

Thankfully we have a successful businessman at the helm and not one of us. I'm pretty sure the cash won't be wasted.

On safe-standing, this was the Chairman 3 months ago:

"We have also started down the road of introducing some form of safe standing area in W7. We have had discussions with Celtic, safe seating suppliers, and held preliminary talks with both the SPFL and our local council. This will not be something that happens next season but it is something we are looking at very seriously and will continue to investigate."

Personally, all for it, and I think the McGinn money will probably accelerate the process. The matchday and fan experience is hugely important to the board. 

Would be interesting to see the response though if SMISA members were consulted....

Guest TPAFKATS
Thankfully we have a successful businessman at the helm and not one of us. I'm pretty sure the cash won't be wasted.
We also have a chief exec who's a mad dreamer and splurged the cash when he was manager [emoji33]

16 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

On safe-standing, this was the Chairman 3 months ago:

"We have also started down the road of introducing some form of safe standing area in W7. We have had discussions with Celtic, safe seating suppliers, and held preliminary talks with both the SPFL and our local council. This will not be something that happens next season but it is something we are looking at very seriously and will continue to investigate."

Personally, all for it, and I think the McGinn money will probably accelerate the process. The matchday and fan experience is hugely important to the board. 

Would be interesting to see the response though if SMISA members were consulted....

It’s a vanity project. 

The W7 guys are standing anyway and a bit of common sense management is seeing the club, stewards and police turn a blind eye. 

Why anyone would want to spend money on something like that is beyond me. We’re a small club and funds should either be invested in the product on the park or in another way that will see a profit return on an investment. 

The W7 guys aren’t going to stop going to games if we don’t put in safe standing. 

It’s money down the drain if we do it. 

Unfortunately, as you’ve highlighted, our chairman may well buy into this vanity project to replicate our Glasgow neighbours and chase a bit of PR. 

I certainly don’t think it’s where our priorities should be. 

Edited by Maboza

No chance of McGinn money being put towards safe standing. That’s a project for another day. If, and I say if, we get something in the region of 1.2 million, £250 of that should immediately go towards new spectacles for a miserable auld cnut in the South stand, with the rest spunked on non-league teenagers and packets of cheese monster munch for the Panda Club.

Edited by pozbaird

Tony is a great guy and needs to be part of the club. Negotiate deals  ? For me a professional should be doing negotiating deals. Stubbs has proved with Hibs he can sign good players would like him to have 300,000 to play with . Regarding Heaton give the lad time there is a great player in there once he is comfortable with his surroundings he will be a cracking player for us , some take longer than others to settle. 

Just now, pozbaird said:

No chance of McGinn money being put towards safe standing. That’s a project for another day. If, and I say if, we get something in the region of 1.2 million, £250 of that should immediately go towards new spectacles for a miserable auld cnut in the South stand, wih the rest spunked on non-league teenagers and cheese monster munch.

Dont be so f**kin stupid. :angry:

Pickled onion monster munch all the way !! :jerrry

26 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

So we sink money into a matchday experience for the few?   As has already been stated, it’s not where our priorities should be. 

How about cushioned seats for us older fans, and maybe some heated big slippers for those chilly winter days?

Edited by rabuddies
Last minute thought

2 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

So we sink money into a matchday experience for the few?   As has already been stated, it’s not where our priorities should be. 

It's not for the few. The guys in W7 have improved the atmosphere at the stadium and consequently everyone's matchday experience. They've no doubt contributed to our success on the park too. Why not build on that as well as widen the matchday experience for our fans? Give people the opportunity to stand if they want?

Incidentally, Brian Caldwell and Shrewsbury opened their safe standing section at the weekend. Accommodates 555 fans and cost the club £65K to install; they have it up the back of a stand behind the goals.

20 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Tony is a great guy and needs to be part of the club. Negotiate deals  ? For me a professional should be doing negotiating deals. Stubbs has proved with Hibs he can sign good players would like him to have 300,000 to play with . Regarding Heaton give the lad time there is a great player in there once he is comfortable with his surroundings he will be a cracking player for us , some take longer than others to settle. 

Stubbs has done nothing to suggest he should get anywhere close to being allowed access to £300k. 

The £75k already spent was our biggest transfer since the early 90’s. 

We should be gently loosening the purse strings in terms of the player wages budget. Similar to when we upped the ante by signing Dargo, Howard, Mason and Haining. That sort of sensible commitment set us up to stay in the top league for neatly a decade and getting to latter stages of cup competitions on a few occasions. 

ETA: 

You raise a good point with the mention of Fitzpatrick. He’s a great guy and should be in and around the club in an ambassadorial role but he’s not a Chief Exec like Brian Caldwell. 

I’d be more than happy for cash to go towards a solid appointment on that front. 

I suspect that Gordon might be quite happy being heavily involved in the decision making and general running of the club though, so doesn’t see the need for an expensive CEO which is why Tony fits the bill as a figurehead to appease the fans. 

Edited by Maboza

4 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Stubbs has done nothing to suggest he should get anywhere close to being allowed access to £300k. 

The £75k already spent was our biggest transfer since the early 90’s. 

We should be gently loosening the purse strings in terms of the player wages budget. Similar to when we upped the ante by signing Dargo, Howard, Mason and Haining. That sort of sensible commitment set us up to stay in the top league for neatly a decade and getting to latter stages of cup competitions on a few occasions. 

you need to give the man time.......surely?

I believe our chairman has already stated that any player income will primarily be used to improve income streams. Makes sense to me. St Johnstone who have a much smaller support generate more income than we do. That should be addressed which will improve the squad indefinitely instead of just one or two seasons. By all means use a little just now if necessary to get a signing over the line but for goodness sake do not spunk most of it on players. Signing more marketing people would be useful.

6 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Nothing, except getting us through the LC group stages and chalking up an opening day 3 points. True, as yet, he hasn't delivered aquaducts, education or roads.

7 minutes ago, saintargyll said:

you need to give the man time.......surely?

Happy to give him time. 

I’m right behind him and have been urging others to give him a break over recent weeks. 

I just think we need to be modest with the money until we see how things are developing under him.