John McGinn

10 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Wish some English team would come in under the radar and buy him for 4 million! That would be our best result of the season!

COYS

I don't imagine that John McGinn wants to go anywhere other than Celtic. 

It would be the only reason that I can see no English Championship clubs bidding. 

Unfortunately this probably means that unless Hibs strike a deal then we'll be getting sweet FA when he moves on a PCA. 

I still reckon Hibs would accept £2.5M, and can see Celtic offering this plus Allan and/or Christie.

For all we've been talking about how we would benefit from a deal going through, hasn't the Chairman already said that the money we receive would be used for club capital infrastructure as opposed to given to the manager for squad investment?

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

I still reckon Hibs would accept £2.5M, and can see Celtic offering this plus Allan and/or Christie.

For all we've been talking about how we would benefit from a deal going through, hasn't the Chairman already said that the money we receive would be used for club capital infrastructure as opposed to given to the manager for squad investment?

Wouldn't you if you saw the other investments ?

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Yep, seems a bit strange. 

We shouldn't be in a position of needing transfer money to bolster our squad. That's not the way that St.Mirren operate.  

We've been waiting a long time for a windfall like this so I would hope that the noises made about it being used for capital infrastructure is more likely to be the case rather than the other talk of Stubbs getting a kitty. 

Allan Stubbs will obviously plead his case for some of that cash for transfer fees or wages - that's his job I guess to ask for as much resources as possible to build the best squad possible using his expertise.

I'd reckon, however, that  viewing of the £75k defender and other signings should raise a big enough question mark to stop GLS from releasing any additional funds above and beyond our planned budget. I guess it comes down to what expectations have been set between Chairman and Manager. 

6 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I go no matter how bad we are. that's what being a St Mirren fan is about. Doesn't stop me commenting on the quality of the team or manager.

This. 

This is a fans forum after all.

Surely if the team/manager/performance merits criticism then this is the place to do it.  There is a massive difference with passing an opinion  on something to some on here who are constantly slagging off everything St.Mirren or conversely ,those who dont allow any criticism and brand those who do as knickerwetters.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Stubbs himself has stated that the McGinn money does not feature in his plans and GLS has said it won't be used for player recruitment but to invest in additional income streams. So let's get the most for McGinn but certainly most if not all of it will not be used to sign players.

3 hours ago, Maboza said:

Yep, seems a bit strange. 

We shouldn't be in a position of needing transfer money to bolster our squad. That's not the way that St.Mirren operate.  

We've been waiting a long time for a windfall like this so I would hope that the noises made about it being used for capital infrastructure is more likely to be the case rather than the other talk of Stubbs getting a kitty. 

Allan Stubbs will obviously plead his case for some of that cash for transfer fees or wages - that's his job I guess to ask for as much resources as possible to build the best squad possible using his expertise.

I'd reckon, however, that  viewing of the £75k defender and other signings should raise a big enough question mark to stop GLS from releasing any additional funds above and beyond our planned budget. I guess it comes down to what expectations have been set between Chairman and Manager. 

I  expect that the board are fully aware of Stubbs's plans. Short, medium and long term.  All this would have been thoroughly discussed before hand. And I also believe that Stubbs knows his playing budget and it has hee haw to do with the McGinn money. I think patience is the key word here, something that us fans aren't blessed with in abundance. 

2 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

I  expect that the board are fully aware of Stubbs's plans. Short, medium and long term.  All this would have been thoroughly discussed before hand. And I also believe that Stubbs knows his playing budget and it has hee haw to do with the McGinn money. I think patience is the key word here, something that us fans aren't blessed with in abundance. 

Why would Stubbs go on national TV and say we have 4 to 5 players coming in over the next 4 to 5 days nearly two weeks ago only for none to be signed ? Patience kinda goes out the window after that statement with alarm bells starting to  be wrung. If we can't afford Stubbs list what are we going to do pluck players out who don't have clubs and hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Wouldn't you if you saw the other investments ?

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

Stubbs himself has stated that the McGinn money does not feature in his plans and GLS has said it won't be used for player recruitment but to invest in additional income streams. So let's get the most for McGinn but certainly most if not all of it will not be used to sign players.

I don't have a problem with the John McGinn money not being splurged on short term players. The best way to invest for me would be in the Academy and get the conveyor belt of talent going again. It's great watching our own break through and do well.

22 minutes ago, magnus said:

I don't have a problem with the John McGinn money not being splurged on short term players. The best way to invest for me would be in the Academy and get the conveyor belt of talent going again. It's great watching our own break through and do well.

So we can sell them for peanuts after a year or two. 

I do agree though,  producing our own crop of players is more favourable and will save us money in the long-term. 

9 minutes ago, munoz said:

So we can sell them for peanuts after a year or two. 

I do agree though,  producing our own crop of players is more favourable and will save us money in the long-term. 

Maybe spend a wee bit on a good contracts lawyer as well to stop us getting shafted.

This. 

This is a fans forum after all.

Surely if the team/manager/performance merits criticism then this is the place to do it.  There is a massive difference with passing an opinion  on something to some on here who are constantly slagging off everything St.Mirren or conversely ,those who dont allow any criticism and brand those who do as knickerwetters.

We’ve not even started a league game & some knickers are soaking right thorough already. Played well against Kilmarnock, should of hammered Spartans in the second half, had more than enough chances. Ok rotten on sat but at least wait a few weeks see how it pans out. This forum is just constant doom & gloom with some & they just can’t wait to get their bit in.

2 minutes ago, ged62 said:

We’ve not even started a league game & some knickers are soaking right thorough already. Played well against Kilmarnock, should of hammered Spartans in the second half, had more than enough chances. Ok rotten on sat but at least wait a few weeks see how it pans out. This forum is just constant doom & gloom with some & they just can’t wait to get their bit in.

Spare a thought for us eternally conflicted  happy clapping knicker wetters.

11 minutes ago, ged62 said:

We’ve not even started a league game & some knickers are soaking right thorough already. Played well against Kilmarnock, should have hammered Spartans in the second half, had more than enough chances. Ok rotten on Saturday but at least wait a few weeks and see how it pans out. This forum is just a constant doom & gloom with some & they just can’t wait to get their bit in.

If you are not concerned you should be. Stubbs told us 4 to 5 players. The latest interview with Stubbs now says2 players, hopefully he says. Our budget is the problem as it has been in the past .  Three on trial proves we can't get who he wanted  add in the players Stubbs wants out who can't get clubs and you end up with a financial problem to sign players. Stubbs first huge mistake was telling these players they have no future at the club because we are going to need them. 

13 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you are not concerned you should be. Stubbs told us 4 to 5 players. The latest interview with Stubbs now says2 players, hopefully he says. Our budget is the problem as it has been in the past .  Three on trial proves we can't get who he wanted  add in the players Stubbs wants out who can't get clubs and you end up with a financial problem to sign players. Stubbs first huge mistake was telling these players they have no future at the club because we are going to need them. 

I hope people will stop commending him for being "ruthless" and "demanding high standards" now every time he gets rid of a player.

Any clown can come in and rip a team apart. Doesnt mean they are making the right decision or have high standards.