John McGinn

On 6/29/2018 at 10:26 AM, pozbaird said:

There does seem to be a view that if you decide to withdraw from the scheme, then you’re a moaner who chucked it at the first sign that you weren’t getting things your own way. If that’s the way I am personally being looked at, frankly, I will not be losing one iota of sleep over it. Anyway, I thought having a seat-specific ST made me a better fan than the next guy, apparently not. There’s some in the Buy the Buds scheme way above me, by the looks of things.  :P

I'm not personally looking at anyone in any way. It was a general point based on an observation over a period of time, not designed to strike a nerve, so apologies if it did - wasn't my intention.

I suppose I just look at it in a simplistic way - money is paid each month to enable the fans to buy the club. I've no wish to know the finer details or ins and outs as I've no time for any I that, and if I did I'd try to get involved. I'm just one of the crowd.

12 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Another example of SMiSA not being particularly sharp during the takeover process, I dread to think what will happen when the "sausage roll brigade" finally takeover - with a bit of luck I’ll be dead by then!

With interest rates the way they are, that’s completely accurate. The re-costing plan to replace it as well means the benefit from the new pitch far outweighs the interest we’d gain for the next two and a half years. 

35 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

With interest rates the way they are, that’s completely accurate. The re-costing plan to replace it as well means the benefit from the new pitch far outweighs the interest we’d gain for the next two and a half years. 

Um no that’s not what I meant - at the start when you had nearly 1400 members did no-one ask GLS if additional payments from the surplus could be made to reduce the time until SMiSA owned all their target shares?

Edited by Bud the Baker

36 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Um no that’s not what I meant - at the start when you had nearly 1400 members did no-one ask GLS if additional payments from the surplus could be made to reduce the time until SMiSA owned all their target shares?

Em, I’m not sure if you fully understand what’s going on. The £50k we’ve taken from the ring-fence will be fully replenished long before we’re in a position to settle early (unless by some miracle in membership numbers we can settle in the next 30 months) 

my understanding is GLS is here for 10 years however if we have all the money before then (which is extremely likely) I think that’s when discussions are more likely to ramp up. 

Why would we make additional payments early? That makes no sense. We’re paying the money anyway, no benefit in paying it in parts to GLS when it can get a wee bit of interest or potentially other similar proposals. 

20 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Em, I’m not sure if you fully understand what’s going on. The £50k we’ve taken from the ring-fence will be fully replenished long before we’re in a position to settle early (unless by some miracle in membership numbers we can settle in the next 30 months) 

my understanding is GLS is here for 10 years however if we have all the money before then (which is extremely likely) I think that’s when discussions are more likely to ramp up. 

Why would we make additional payments early? That makes no sense. We’re paying the money anyway, no benefit in paying it in parts to GLS when it can get a wee bit of interest or potentially other similar proposals. 

I understand the Astroturf situation completely and I’m not particularly bothered about it (the way you’re implying)  also it’s irrelevant to the point I’m making which is that using the surplus money to make additional payments to GLS early would put the club in SMiSAs control earlier which is kinda what the buyout was about.

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I understand the Astroturf situation completely and I’m not particularly bothered about it also it’s irrelevant to the point I’m making which is that using the surplus money to make additional payments to GLS early would put the club in SMiSAs control earlier which is kinda what the buyout was about.

Yes but why do it early? What’s the benefit of that over waiting until we have the full money and transferring it? 

If we pay off bit by bit we won’t get anymore shares early because that’s not how the contract is worded. It’s a buyout at the end. It also wouldn’t impact the controlling stake even if we did get more shares. 

8 hours ago, Soctty said:

I'm not personally looking at anyone in any way. It was a general point based on an observation over a period of time, not designed to strike a nerve, so apologies if it did - wasn't my intention.

I suppose I just look at it in a simplistic way - money is paid each month to enable the fans to buy the club. I've no wish to know the finer details or ins and outs as I've no time for any I that, and if I did I'd try to get involved. I'm just one of the crowd.

No offence taken Scotty.

9 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Yes but why do it early? What’s the benefit of that over waiting until we have the full money and transferring it? 

If we pay off bit by bit we won’t get anymore shares early because that’s not how the contract is worded. It’s a buyout at the end. It also wouldn’t impact the controlling stake even if we did get more shares. 

SMiSA owning the club is the whole point of the exercise, so the sooner the better - surely?  

You knew you had 2-300 extra members so why was it not written into the contract that the buyout could be completed on the target being reached, I had an additional payment facility in my mortgage - it wouldn't have been impossible to work something similar into the buyout contract, but that's history. If GLS is merely a facilitator in the buyout then surely he would have no objection.

31 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

SMiSA owning the club is the whole point of the exercise, so the sooner the better - surely?  

You knew you had 2-300 extra members so why was it not written into the contract that the buyout could be completed on the target being reached, I had an additional payment facility in my mortgage - it wouldn't have been impossible to work something similar into the buyout contract, but that's history. If GLS is merely a facilitator in the buyout then surely he would have no objection.

I thought there was an option to settle early, but I'm not unduly fussed either way. Early days, and plenty more to concern ourselves with meantime.

33 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

If you’re talking about us buying the club when all the money is available in maybe 7-8 years then I’m sure that’ll be conversations SMISA and GLS will have. There is no official word that he 100% won’t sell before the 10 year period but even if he didn’t is it really a big deal? Very short term in the grand scheme. 

In regards to us making part payments sooner before we have the full money for GLS it makes no sense to do this. The difference between the deal and your mortgage is GLS isn’t charging us interest, so we may as well hold onto the money. If your mortgage was interest free would you make overpayments to it or would you put your savings in an account that made you interest? I know what the sensible one would be. 

11 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

If you’re talking about us buying the club when all the money is available in maybe 7-8 years then I’m sure that’ll be conversations SMISA and GLS will have. There is no official word that he 100% won’t sell before the 10 year period but even if he didn’t is it really a big deal? Very short term in the grand scheme. 

In regards to us making part payments sooner before we have the full money for GLS it makes no sense to do this. The difference between the deal and your mortgage is GLS isn’t charging us interest, so we may as well hold onto the money. If your mortgage was interest free would you make overpayments to it or would you put your savings in an account that made you interest? I know what the sensible one would be. 

I said "its history now" but I was alluding to the fact tat SMiSA shouldve thought about the overpayment situation at the time,

17 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

So anyway lets keep this thread on course

The World Cup is good

How do we think we will do this season

Any new signings

Bloody Hot isn't it

And more importantly,  when is J McGinn leaving Hibs and how much are we getting ?

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I said "its history now" but I was alluding to the fact tat SMiSA shouldve thought about the overpayment situation at the time,

Again, why? We couldn’t possibly of got a better deal than GLS not taking any profit from this. The only way paying early would make any financial sense is if there was more of a charge for waiting to the end... which there’s not. 

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

Gents, I will repeat myself, GS will sell to SMiSA as soon as they have the funds , could be in 4years time! Not may sell, will sell , as written in the agreement.

If SMiSA wants to say different speak up now . 

Thats not whats written into the agreement. GS can sell some of his New shares to smisa at any point now at the agreed price. However he is only obliged under the agreement to complete the sale & transfer of new share giving Smisa 50% or more of the shareholding in July 2026. He can wait till 2026 if he wishes.