John McGinn

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Keep the faith. End of the transfer window, some lower end EPL clubs will have missed out on all their targets. J.McGinn will have been 10th on their list but is now next choice. They put in a stupidly high offer, off he goes to West Ham or Huddersfield or Southampton, here comes the money.

Am I right in thinking that the transfer window in England closes on 9 August?  If so,  then this will rumble on till at least then.  In the absence of any bids from England then Celtic would have a stronger hand. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I have the date wrong. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You turn with the wind. 

One minute you're all over Stubbs, the next, and based on what others are saying, you're following the ever growing crowd :lol:

Maybe ,  difference is I go to games you go to her haw you read the forum picking up a load of all keech then posting it on the forum.  Don't expect you to pick up what's going on your as dim as the dark side of the moon. Too much of a compliment for stayaway saint. 

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If any McGinn windfall is not earmarked for signing players, then it’s probably just as well.

I sense this one is going to come down to brinkmanship on the parts of Celtic and Hibs, with the deal being done either late in the window or ultimately not at all.

I think Hibs are playing a very dangerous game. Whilst Celtic have obviously shown they are keen to tie him up during this window, you get the feeling they are always just one rejected bid away from telling Hibs to ram it.

Hibs getting nothing for McGinn would constitute a bit of a disaster scenario for them. Celtic not getting John McGinn until January (or to some extent even not at all) would not be a disaster for them. 

Whilst I fully expect McGinn to be sold to Celtic before this window closes, there is also the outside chance that they could strike a Morgan type deal - a lower transfer fee with a loan back until the end of the season.

I wouldn't imagine that this would suit Celtic, as they obviously have plans to include the player having already bid up to £2M.  If at all, it is more likely to materialise in January if things aren't resolved by the end of next month.

If this scenario did come to pass, it is possible that Saints would be the biggest losers.

It's also worth bearing in mind that McGinn is arguably Hibs best player, so while they might lose out financially if he doesn't move elsewhere, they will retain his services. Whether that would offset the financial gain (minus our cut) is difficult to judge.

There's still a chance an English club will come in for him this window or the next one. I think this is the main reason Celtic are trying to get him now ( although they don't seem willing to pay what Hibs are asking). If J McGinn carries on his form from last season for club and country,  surely there will be more interest ?

7 minutes ago, munoz said:

There's still a chance an English club will come in for him this window or the next one. I think this is the main reason Celtic are trying to get him now ( although they don't seem willing to pay what Hibs are asking). If J McGinn carries on his form from last season for club and country,  surely there will be more interest ?

Get the impression John wants the Celtic move going by Lennon' s  comment. 

Get the impression John wants the Celtic move going by Lennon' s  comment. 

John’s wanted to go to Celtic for 5 years, as May or May not have been mentioned, he’s from a Celtic family. They were first linked with him back in 2013.

Celtic could have had him at any point since, they could have had him for compensation in 2014. Could have him tomorrow if they paid up.

Hibs will need to replace him, though. If it gets too late in the window, they'll run out of options - and that's when it doesn't make sense for them to sell.

Or, they'll come in for Magennis with a stupid lowball offer that makes no sense to anyone, but which we somehow end up accepting.

44 minutes ago, munoz said:

The transfer window in England closes on 9th August. It's clear John favours Celtic but EPL wages would be much, much higher. Interesting times. 

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

The transfer window in England closes on 9th August. It's clear John favours Celtic but EPL wages would be much, much higher. Interesting times. 

And Hibs getting a higher transfer fee if he moves down south .Looking doubtful but still a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

Hibs will need to replace him, though. If it gets too late in the window, they'll run out of options - and that's when it doesn't make sense for them to sell.

Or, they'll come in for Magennis with a stupid lowball offer that makes no sense to anyone, but which we somehow end up accepting.

Would say Mallan is the replacement? 

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Would say Mallan is the replacement? 

Pretty sure that Mallan was seen as the replacement for McGeouch. 

Worth remembering that they've also lost Scott Allan's services - for now at least anyway - so they'd definitely want midfielders in if they were to punt McGinn. 

14 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If any McGinn windfall is not earmarked for signing players, then it’s probably just as well.

I sense this one is going to come down to brinkmanship on the parts of Celtic and Hibs, with the deal being done either late in the window or ultimately not at all.

I think Hibs are playing a very dangerous game. Whilst Celtic have obviously shown they are keen to tie him up during this window, you get the feeling they are always just one rejected bid away from telling Hibs to ram it.

Hibs getting nothing for McGinn would constitute a bit of a disaster scenario for them. Celtic not getting John McGinn until January (or to some extent even not at all) would not be a disaster for them. 

I don't think letting him run out his contract would be a disaster at all for Hibs.

They need to assess whats more valuable to them. £2m minus a third or 1 more season out their best player. 

I would imagine they would rate both options at a similar value hence rejecting the £2m bid. They are not a tiny club..£1.3 million in the bank isnt going to completely change things for them.

13 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Maybe ,  difference is I go to games you go to her haw you read the forum picking up a load of all keech then posting it on the forum.  Don't expect you to pick up what's going on your as dim as the dark side of the moon. Too much of a compliment for stayaway saint. 

Aye?

Thanks. :lol:

If you are not concerned you should be. Stubbs told us 4 to 5 players. The latest interview with Stubbs now says2 players, hopefully he says. Our budget is the problem as it has been in the past .  Three on trial proves we can't get who he wanted  add in the players Stubbs wants out who can't get clubs and you end up with a financial problem to sign players. Stubbs first huge mistake was telling these players they have no future at the club because we are going to need them. 

As I said I’ll wait till the league starts then make my mind up [emoji6]

You turn with the wind. 
One minute you're all over Stubbs, the next, and based on what others are saying, you're following the ever growing crowd :lol:

Yep & I’ve to be concerned just because there’s a few band wagon jumpers getting there bit in because that’s the way they work on this forum.