John McGinn

It's not for the few. The guys in W7 have improved the atmosphere at the stadium and consequently everyone's matchday experience. They've no doubt contributed to our success on the park too. Why not build on that as well as widen the matchday experience for our fans? Give people the opportunity to stand if they want?
Incidentally, Brian Caldwell and Shrewsbury opened their safe standing section at the weekend. Accommodates 555 fans and cost the club £65K to install; they have it up the back of a stand behind the goals.

Brian, ironically, was against introducing a safe standing section when he was chief exec at SMP

Nobody on here knows how good TF is at his job, but obviously our businessman chairman is happy. Just because he tells the media we'll be in the champions league in 2 years doesn't mean he can't negotiate a contract, just means he knows his audience.

38 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Stubbs has done nothing to suggest he should get anywhere close to being allowed access to £300k. 

The £75k already spent was our biggest transfer since the early 90’s. 

We should be gently loosening the purse strings in terms of the player wages budget. Similar to when we upped the ante by signing Dargo, Howard, Mason and Haining. That sort of sensible commitment set us up to stay in the top league for neatly a decade and getting to latter stages of cup competitions on a few occasions. 

ETA: 

You raise a good point with the mention of Fitzpatrick. He’s a great guy and should be in and around the club in an ambassadorial role but he’s not a Chief Exec like Brian Caldwell. 

I’d be more than happy for cash to go towards a solid appointment on that front. 

I suspect that Gordon might be quite happy being heavily involved in the decision making and general running of the club though, so doesn’t see the need for an expensive CEO which is why Tony fits the bill as a figurehead to appease the fans. 

True but the issue is that all 4 were PCAs and that business was done exceptionally early. We're on the wrong side of pre-season to be working that market now unfortunately.

Unless we're intent on going with decent loanees this season (which I suppose I've no issue with although it does seem like a waste to spunk extra funds on loan players), then any decent players who are left are either going to be carrying a fee or have their clubs willing to mutually terminate for heehaw to allow them to join us.

Or of course still without a club but there are painfully few out of contract players that aren't bargain basement or injury riddled duds at this stage.

Edited by djchapsticks

We should be gently loosening the purse strings in terms of the player wages budget. Similar to when we upped the ante by signing Dargo, Howard, Mason and Haining. That sort of sensible commitment set us up to stay in the top league for neatly a decade and getting to latter stages of cup competitions on a few occasions. 

In what way were the purse strings loosened?

The club had no borrowing facility. All expenditure had to be matched by budgeted income.

Presuming there were no conditions in the SMISA-GLS deal covering scenarios like this?

SMISA are raising £600K (through £10/month from 1300 fans) to buy out Gordon and take ownership of the club. Due to happen in 2026 but, with this sum of money coming in, SMFC could give the money to SMISA who pay off Gordon Scott.

Gordon has his debt repaid earlier and SMISA get the club now!

Well done John McGinn, You maybe wanted to play for Celtic but obviously not right now. As someone said get it roon you Sellic you can’t always get what you want you robbing b*stards.
I heard there was a lot of unhappy supporters at darkheed last not just because of the result. HAPPY DAYS FOR SAINTS ££££

23 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Presuming there were no conditions in the SMISA-GLS deal covering scenarios like this?

SMISA are raising £600K (through £10/month from 1300 fans) to buy out Gordon and take ownership of the club. Due to happen in 2026 but, with this sum of money coming in, SMFC could give the money to SMISA who pay off Gordon Scott.

No, no and no

Lets enjoy this little windfall and hope that it brings us some quality on the park as well as other improvements in and around the club.

Keep that crazy nonsense for your inside voice.  Let us hope that Smisa run out of steam and the "impending doom" of squabbling Smisa ownership never comes to bear  upon our great club.  Let us not be the turkey who votes for Christmas.

9 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

What difference does it make if they haven’t disclosed the fee involved to you personally? emoji23.png

I think disclosure of the fee is important. For a start, we are a fan ownership club. Secondly, it facilitates informed debate on investment and in particuĺar just how important the Academy is to SMFC and finally it's part of the "entertainment" package that is modern day football. 

17 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Coz am a control freak. That awrite?

2 minutes ago, magnus said:

I think disclosure of the fee is important. For a start, we are a fan ownership club. Secondly, it facilitates informed debate on investment and in particuĺar just how important the Academy is to SMFC and finally it's part of the "entertainment" package that is modern day football. 

Aye....and what Magnus says tae...

50 minutes ago, guinness said:

How does VAT effect this? If the fee is £3M  is that inclusive of VAT in which case our share will be somewhat smaller than we imagine.

As they are both Ltd companies and turnover above the threshold I wouldn't imagine that the figure is included in the valuation......vat just transfers in and out and netts off in most of these types of transactions.

Edited by WeeBud

I don’t get how this would work.

Why would SMFC give the money to SMISA?

If the money was to be taken out the club, then wouldn’t it have to be divvied up amongst the current shareholders?

It couldn’t just be handed over to a third party surely?

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

As they are both Ltd companies and turnover above the threshold I wouldn't imagine that the figure is included in the valuation......vat just transfers in and out and netts off in most of these types of transactions.

Aye, there is VAT on football transfers. Not sure which figure will be used, but imagine it will be the gross figure, including VAT. Siimilarly any fee we pay would have VAT included, which we can reclaim on our own VAT return. Transfers in and out of another country are not subject to VAT, only domestice transfers, in general.

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

So the majority shareholder of SMFC should sanction money being paid from the company he owns the majority of shares in, to SMISA to pay to himself?

The money belongs to the club, and will be used in the best interests of the club imo, which means Gordon Scott will get his money at the same time he would have got it - when SMISA subscriptions have raised the amount of money agreed to buy his shares. This looks like happening earlier than 2026, with GLS remaining involved with the club in some capacity. The money raised by the McGinn sell on clause will be used to fund projects that benefit the club, such as additional wages for players, stadium development, training ground work or youth academy funding, or anything else which the board see fit.

Just my opinion of course...

3 hours ago, magnus said:

You think that Aston Villa & Hibs should disclose the fee so that Saints fans can argue over how the money should be squandered?

13 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

You think that Aston Villa & Hibs should disclose the fee so that Saints fans can argue over how the money should be squandered?

Why squandered?

We spend 75k on a very highly rated kid and some on here complain that he is either not in team or a match winner already. 933K for Saints is massive, the biggest cash injection we have ever had, we don't need to spend on Ground, we don't need training facilities, its just security, and ensuring we stay in the Top League....

I think its very promising so I cant be one of the fans you say will squander cash. Anyway what do they know?

8 minutes ago, buddied94 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-mcginn/transfers/spieler/193116/transfer_id/2216344

looks like the fee was around 2.8 mil giving us around 900k 

They're taking a punt at this point, based on speculative articles - undisclosed means just that. No reason this site would have the information this quickly. I will come out, in the accounts of the various clubs but not yet.

Fundamentally, this money should be spent to enhance the possibility of the club generating revenue in the future. It would be thrilling to see a couple of marquee signings but they could fail and the benefit in any event be short lived.  Let’s go for stadium improvement say to 10 k capacity- even if only enabling works to move the floodlights from the corners  and pave the way for temporary or permanent seating.