John McGinn

11 minutes ago, Soctty said:

They're taking a punt at this point, based on speculative articles - undisclosed means just that. No reason this site would have the information this quickly. I will come out, in the accounts of the various clubs but not yet.

i trust they are usually fairly accurate, never know could have been the agent that disclosed it. But your right a more accurate accounting will be shown at the various AGM's from both clubs 

3 hours ago, magnus said:
12 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

What difference does it make if they haven’t disclosed the fee involved to you personally? emoji23.png

I think disclosure of the fee is important. For a start, we are a fan ownership club. Secondly, it facilitates informed debate on investment and in particuĺar just how important the Academy is to SMFC and finally it's part of the "entertainment" package that is modern day football. 

I think disclosure of the fee is important.  Why? these are other clubs doing business who wish to keep the figures private, those who need to know will know, other than that it is none of St Mirrens or your business.

we are a fan ownership club.  At this moment in time; not strictly factual.

it facilitates informed debate on investment and in particuĺar just how important the Academy is to SMFC   Rubbish, all it actually does is see everyone come up with their own particular hobbyhorses about how they think it should be spent; that my friend is not debate. In fact the owner will ultimately decide how best to invest it and given that he is a successful businessman it makes a lot more sense than your suggestion

it's part of the "entertainment" package that is modern day football.  Really?  entertainment!  Did you enjoy it when the christians got fed to the lions?

1 minute ago, buddied94 said:

i trust they are usually fairly accurate, never know could have been the agent that disclosed it. But your right a more accurate accounting will be shown at the various AGM's from both clubs 

From what I've heard we're netting over a million, and I did see one or two journos tweeting it as £1.2 million. All speculation though, just as transfermarkt have done.

1 minute ago, jaybee said:

I think disclosure of the fee is important.  Why? these are other clubs doing business who wish to keep the figures private, those who need to know will know, other than that it is none of St Mirrens or your business.

it facilitates informed debate on investment and in particuĺar just how important the Academy is to SMFC   Rubbish, all it actually does is see everyone come up with their own particular hobbyhorses about how they think it should be spent; that my friend is not debate. In fact the owner will ultimately decide how best to invest it and given that he is a successful businessman it makes a lot more sense than your suggestion

it's part of the "entertainment" package that is modern day football.  Really?  entertainment!  Did you enjoy it when the christians got fed to the lions?

It is absolutely St Mirren's business, and they will be informed - as will the SPFL - due to their sell  on clause. You're spot on that we are not a fan owned club at this point, and even when we are these sorts of things will be kept in house as we will still be a business.

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Why squandered?

We spend 75k on a very highly rated kid and some on here complain that he is either not in team or a match winner already. 933K for Saints is massive, the biggest cash injection we have ever had, we don't need to spend on Ground,

Wrong, the stadium is now 10 years old and investment is long overdue in things that should have been in the original plan, such as rain water harvest to reduce rates, improved facilities in the north and west stands to make them more flexible spaces and decent conference spaces.

we don't need training facilities,

Wrong, the facilities are good but not brilliant.  Basically temporary modular buildings.  And we always need £50k in the bank just for the pitch,  Ask AS if he thinks the facilities are that of a top six premiership side.

its just security, and ensuring we stay in the Top League....

I think its very promising so I cant be one of the fans you say will squander cash. Anyway what do they know?

other posters are suggesting that the way to increase turnover is to take the capacity to 10k when we have never sold all of the existing seats for any match in 10 years.

This thread is a  good  example of why mass-owenship by fans is bad for any club.  Saints fans are great at deciding how other peole's money should be spent.

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:
8 minutes ago, jaybee said:

It is absolutely St Mirren's business, and they will be informed - as will the SPFL - due to their sell  on clause. You're spot on that we are not a fan owned club at this point, and even when we are these sorts of things will be kept in house as we will still be a business.

Sorry, what I meant to say was St Mirren's business but not for public debate :wub:

9 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

other posters are suggesting that the way to increase turnover is to take the capacity to 10k when we have never sold all of the existing seats for any match in 10 years.

This thread is a  good  example of why mass-owenship by fans is bad for any club.  Saints fans are great at deciding how other peole's money should be spent.

My main point is to invest to increase revenue possibility in the long term.  Our stadium is presently a constraint in being able to compete even with other mid premier teams including St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Dundee- so I think it is valid to consider if and when we do something about it.   Your point about our 10 year history is a fair one but we have recently had some acrimony about we dal with old firm support- and I would rather our ambition not be constrained by the experience of the last 10 years. 

PS- if you don’t like people expressing their views you might stay away from discussion boards.

1 minute ago, Paisleyporridge said:

My main point is to invest to increase revenue possibility in the long term.  Our stadium is presently a constraint in being able to compete even with other mid premier teams including St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Dundee- so I think it is valid to consider if and when we do something about it.   Your point about our 10 year history is a fair one but we have recently had some acrimony about we dal with old firm support- and I would rather our ambition not be constrained by the experience of the last 10 years. 

PS- if you don’t like people expressing their views you might stay away from discussion boards.

Who the hell are you to tell me how i should respond to posts.  You cearly didn't like me exercising my right to post.  Your PS is sanctimonious pish.

Your idea was daft and deserves to be highlighted as such-take it like a man rather than resorting to claims of suppression of free speech.

Anyway, posts like your's make me feel that wee bit smarter every time I read one, so I'll keep reading the forum, thanks very much.

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Who the hell are you to tell me how i should respond to posts.  You cearly didn't like me exercising my right to post.  Your PS is sanctimonious pish.

Your idea was daft and deserves to be highlighted as such-take it like a man rather than resorting to claims of suppression of free speech.

Anyway, posts like your's make me feel that wee bit smarter every time I read one, so I'll keep reading the forum, thanks very much.

For the sake of sanity I leave you the last word- and let it ring.

3 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

History can often be a guide but in this case the period involved covered a low point in Scottish Football at National and Club level. I have put forward the argument that Scottish Football is on the up and Stats for Attendances at our ground have shown sharp rises year on year with.a further rise predicted for the current season. Some dismiss the former and seek to discredit the latter by using the argument that our support has peaked. I don't buy these . My advice remains the same. Buy a season ticket to ensure that you can get a seat at all of thee league games or chance missing put on watching our new "history " being created. Expand seating? Not yet. Make buying a season ticket as easy as possible. Yes.

32 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Climb down off your pedestal.......

We are not a Top 6 club and haven't been for over 30 years.......

Our club is in a very enviable position compared to virtually all similar sized clubs.

You have delusions of grandeur mate

Mass ownership is our chosen future, if you don't like away and support another team  that will rely on sugar daddys and crooks ......    

21 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

My main point is to invest to increase revenue possibility in the long term.  Our stadium is presently a constraint in being able to compete even with other mid premier teams including St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Dundee

I agree with that . Build it and they will come !

10 minutes ago, billyg said:

I agree with that . Build it and they will come !

We have built it and they are coming in increasing numbers. Let's fill our own sections week on week and there is then a valid argument for expansion into the corners but with space that can be let below the seats. 

The club is arguably in a prime spot, as close as it is to Paisley International Airport and the M8.  There must be scope to increase revenue on this basis.

It should not be beyond the wit and wisdom of the current BoD to come up with ways in which to exploit this more effectively. If they don't have the necessary wherewithal, bring in a consultant with experience and a proven track record in this area.

Safe standing doesn't do it for me. It is an expensive gimmick at this moment in time. Additional seating (unless in the form of some type of executive boxes or the likes) is also pretty pointless.

Office and conference space would probably be more lucrative, but I am clueless when it comes to these things, so you can file this along with all other posts by clueless blawhards full of grand ideas.

31 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

I guess the club will assess all the options.  But we are at an unusual moment in time, where we can invest in something tangible, enduring and potentially revenue enhancing. Let’s do something that ticks all those boxes while we can. 

There will be a range of ways of investing this money and the priority is to focus on those with the highest probability of generating a worthwhile return. Adding seats is unlikely to show a return at any time in the next 10 years so IMO this isn't viable right now.

The absolute highest priority is the deeply unsexy but necessary maintenance of anything around the ground or training site which has been neglected. Then any board with a modicum of financial discipline will want to create a rainy day reserve of money, invested in stocks and shares appropriately to continue growing in terms of an annual revenue and capital growth. After that, perhaps a small bit of extra budget for Alan and the rest should go on revenue generating schemes. These don't need to be retail based. Just sticking the entire amount of £1m-ish in an investment trust could give the club £50k to £100k a year in returns.

Edited by oaksoft

45 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Our club is in a very enviable position compared to virtually all similar sized clubs.

Mass ownership is our chosen future, if you don't like away and support another team  that will rely on sugar daddys and crooks ......    

Quite how you get deiusions of grandeur from me saying it's daft to spend a windfall on more seats is beyond me.

Mass ownership though- I think it is our future downfall and that is down pureley to the expectations of fans who think they know the answer to what are not currently problems.

And don't tell me who I can and can't support just because i disagree with you

Quite how you get deiusions of grandeur from me saying it's daft to spend a windfall on more seats is beyond me.

Mass ownership though- I think it is our future downfall and that is down pureley to the expectations of fans who think they know the answer to what are not currently problems.

When I post the way you are doing this morning, you are one of the first to bite my head off. :lol:

You are good at giving it but not so good at taking it.

Calm down FFS. Shrieking at fellow supporters is pretty stupid.

47 minutes ago, DougJamie said:
1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

I really hate to be defending someone I quite often disagree with, BUT I certainly don't think he has delusions of grandeur; he is in fact putting forward a point of view many people must be concerned about, as I certainly am .  I would have serious concerns if SMISA as it currently operates was in control of the club (a one way ticket to armageddon ) IMHO.  That is NOT to say a club owned by the fans can't succeed because I am sure it can and will, however there is a long road to travel before this happens and many bridges to be crossed; what we need to do is to be sure we don't burn any en-route .  And this; like your post and his is simply 'my opinion'.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

And  state of the arts training facilities, and more facilities in the stand and shock  horror our ancient 10 year old stadium.............  I never mentioned seats ....

You can think that our downfall is imminent mainly due to fans and a chairman who have a clear vision. You obviously don't possess that......

You disagree with the clubs vision, by all means carry on supporting a team whose chosen future you don't support. That's your poison, and no doubt you can come on here and moan and moan  like a few selective others ----- yyyyyaaaawwwwnn   

1 hour ago, Paisleyporridge said:

There are seats available each home game and I'm sure when the dirty sister's come calling there will be seats available in the home end. Tell me the last time Killie , St Johnstone, Motherwell sold a game out in the last decade ? I'm sure it's business space Gordon is thinking rent in particular. First the most important thing over all else is staying in the top league if we don't do that all else fails so Stubbs must get money , nothing like it all but 2 or 3 , 000 will go along way to helping the team. 

3 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I really hate to be defending someone I quite often disagree with, BUT I certainly don't think he has delusions of grandeur; he is in fact putting forward a point of view many people must be concerned about, as I certainly am .  I would have serious concerns if SMISA as it currently operates was in control of the club (a one way ticket to armageddon ) IMHO.  That is NOT to say a club owned by the fans can't succeed because I am sure it can and will, however there is a long road to travel before this happens and many bridges to be crossed; what we need to do is to be sure we don't burn any en-route .  And this; like your post and his is simply 'my opinion'.  :rolleyes:

If you would like to look back Jaybee , BOK didn't offer his opinion,  by writing in red ( denoting anger or publicity ) that I was "wrong". Therefore not debating just shutting down .

I am all for debate, but if someone hijacks my posts to make wee comments in red, I denote, that they are usually self opinionated bloated twats.

Now if Beyond our Ken wants a debate , then he can learn internet intellect  , make a point without shutting down others.  Maybe hard for him to do this, but hey there is always help available for angry people.....

Finally he states Top 6, that is beyond our budget , beyond our realistic expectations , and beyond our present squad , and certainly beyond his vision and he believes we are doomed....  certainly seems to be Beyond his Braincell Count ...... so at least his handle is on the right lines

15 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

If you would like to look back Jaybee , BOK didn't offer his opinion,  by writing in red ( denoting anger or publicity ) that I was "wrong". Therefore not debating just shutting down .

Writing in red to differentiate between my comments and your's, simply because i was typing in thebody of your text.  Is pink OK with you, or maybe green is even less inlammatory

I am all for debate, but if someone hijacks my posts to make wee comments in red, I denote, that they are usually self opinionated bloated twats.

Right back at ye!

Now if Beyond our Ken wants a debate , then he can learn internet intellect

Unlike trouble, if your are looking on a fitba forum for intellect then you came to the wrong place.

, make a point without shutting down others.  Maybe hard for him to do this, but hey there is always help available for angry people.....

I find your multiple use of full stops threatening and an obvious sign of anger, please stop 

Finally he states Top 6, that is beyond our budget , beyond our realistic expectations , and beyond our present squad , and certainly beyond his vision and he believes we are doomed....  certainly seems to be Beyond his Braincell Count ...... so at least his handle is on the right lines

And finally,   you can't call the training facilities state of the art, i was simply pointing out they won't last and need money set aside for maintenance and upgrade.  They are a far better candidate for investment than the 500-700 seats we MIGHT gain by filling in corners

Ok as you did the colours of the rainbow you have demonstrated compromise,  please show me where I mentioned more seats?. I agree with you , that's a waste of money when we cant even fill the seats we already have. See all pals again.... I don't do red  :P