Back the manager and the team!

Is that not just a coincidence? What about the many games when the fans are loud and right behind the team yet they play badly and lose.

We are so low in confidence at this moment in time that it's not going to help all the time but when it's close and we're playing with a degree of confidence I believe it does help.

4 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

It certainly won't do any harm. And to contradict myself, I was thinking the other day that the club/SMISA should be subsidising buses to get more of us at the upcoming, crucial away games.

I think it's way too early for that idea.

IF we get ourselves into a position going into the last 2/3 games and we can still stay up then it could be a great idea, if there's any SMISA money left.

Playing well, scoring goals, not conceding, winning games - all take degrees of skill, luck and bottle.

Giving the team vocal support takes none of that. Should be done in every match without prompting.

Now, more than ever, supporters need to support - vocally. The team need us.

By all means be positive, it's a nicer way to lead your life after all. But 2000 fans are not going to make a significant difference to results.
This is down to the players and the management. Both in terms of the mess and getting us out of it.

I think if we started to lose our boo boys of scottish football status, it would be a start. Players breed confidence on backing from the stands.

4 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think if we started to lose our boo boys of scottish football status, it would be a start. Players breed confidence on backing from the stands.

Surely there is a place for boo boys in Scottish football. There are two main reasons for going to a game which are to enjoy the game or enjoy the occasion.  Sure you expect to do both but your ability to enjoy and understand the nuances of the game depends on your knowledge of the rules tactics, skills, history, players and a host of other factors which affect the result.

Everyone has different levels of knowledge of these factors and generally those who have played the game at competitive levels have a better understanding of the intricacies of the game which allow them to enjoy certain aspects of the game more than less knowledgeable fans.

Your ability to enjoy the occasion is not hampered your knowledge of the game. For some people whilst not an ancillary to the occasion, the game is only part of the occasion. Meeting your mates for a beer before and after is as important as the match. The atmosphere on the terracing can be more exciting than the game. The feeling of being part of something can be more important than the thing itself. To them the team performance is not the main indicator of how good their day out was but simply adds or detracts from their enjoyment of the occasion.

Not as many people play the game now as when I was young and a sport that is struggling to improve attendances needs to attract fans. Look at Darts the PDC embraced the boo boys who were there for the occasion, gave them a place and ‘Stand up if you like darts’ means bigger attendances, bigger names and more prize money.

Now I’m not saying we should accommodate the likes of the Green Brigade but not everyone is a purist and Ideas of how to motivate players differ between supporters. There is a place for boo boys. Whilst a sin bin may work in here it might not work for fans on match days. If they are not offensive, on many occasions sadly the boo boys are more entertaining than the team performance.

4 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

Surely there is a place for boo boys in Scottish football. There are two main reasons for going to a game which are to enjoy the game or enjoy the occasion.  Sure you expect to do both but your ability to enjoy and understand the nuances of the game depends on your knowledge of the rules tactics, skills, history, players and a host of other factors which affect the result.

Everyone has different levels of knowledge of these factors and generally those who have played the game at competitive levels have a better understanding of the intricacies of the game which allow them to enjoy certain aspects of the game more than less knowledgeable fans.

Your ability to enjoy the occasion is not hampered your knowledge of the game. For some people whilst not an ancillary to the occasion, the game is only part of the occasion. Meeting your mates for a beer before and after is as important as the match. The atmosphere on the terracing can be more exciting than the game. The feeling of being part of something can be more important than the thing itself. To them the team performance is not the main indicator of how good their day out was but simply adds or detracts from their enjoyment of the occasion.

Not as many people play the game now as when I was young and a sport that is struggling to improve attendances needs to attract fans. Look at Darts the PDC embraced the boo boys who were there for the occasion, gave them a place and ‘Stand up if you like darts’ means bigger attendances, bigger names and more prize money.

Now I’m not saying we should accommodate the likes of the Green Brigade but not everyone is a purist and Ideas of how to motivate players differ between supporters. There is a place for boo boys. Whilst a sin bin may work in here it might not work for fans on match days. If they are not offensive, on many occasions sadly the boo boys are more entertaining than the team performance.

53 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

In darts, the booing is about creating cabaret/pantomime atmosphere and is a bit of fun.

You can't say the same thing about football. I can't see any way of agreeing with boo boys having a place at football.
In fact, the entire anger management thing (it's absolutely not passion IMO) I just don't get at all. We are not just talking about booing either. The guy Jack went into the crowd to talk to last week is a prime example. In 2016, with hundreds of different ways to spend your time and money who really wants to pay £20 to spend 90 listening to some guy bellowing all manner of abuse at players, refs and managers simply because he can't handle his team playing badly?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

In darts, the booing is about creating cabaret/pantomime atmosphere and is a bit of fun.

You can't say the same thing about football. I can't see any way of agreeing with boo boys having a place at football.
In fact, the entire anger management thing (it's absolutely not passion IMO) I just don't get at all. We are not just talking about booing either. The guy Jack went into the crowd to talk to last week is a prime example. In 2016, with hundreds of different ways to spend your time and money who really wants to pay £20 to spend 90 listening to some guy bellowing all manner of abuse at players, refs and managers simply because he can't handle his team playing badly?

The darts players don't seem to mind. In fact they encourage it because it increases their pay checks. Sitting in an empty, quiet stadium watching a substandard product is not going to inspire anyone to go to a match

1 minute ago, East Lothian Saint said:

The darts players don't seem to mind. In fact they encourage it because it increases their pay checks. Sitting in an empty, quiet stadium watching a substandard product is not going to inspire anyone to go to a match

Yes because like I said, in darts it's all part of a positive fun experience.

When it happens in football it is almost always a negative thing which adds absolutely nothing to the atmosphere.

The thing is though, the darts fans are booing at the opposing player to who they are supporting. Our crowd are booing the team that 'they are supporting'.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In the spirit of the newly created Sin Bin maybe we could have an area in the stadium where anything goes. :argue:

It might even be more entertaining than the football...............:huh:

1 minute ago, kevo_smfc said:

The thing is though, the darts fans are booing at the opposing player to who they are supporting. Our crowd are booing the team that 'they are supporting'.

I'm sure you have done  share of booing the team we're playing and some of their more unsavoury players. Should that mean eradication from scottish football too. Booing is booing and its justified allbeit not necessarily smart(if its your own team) where do we stop?

4 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

In the spirit of the newly created Sin Bin maybe we could have an area in the stadium where anything goes.

Celtic tried that with the Green Brigade. I'm not sure it was a success

Edited by East Lothian Saint
posting problems

I'm sure you have done  share of booing the team we're playing and some of their more unsavoury players. Should that mean eradication from scottish football too. Booing is booing and its justified allbeit not necessarily smart(if its your own team) where do we stop?

I think our players are aware when THEY are being booed and when the opposition are given the same treatment. I feel the atmosphere is different at away games and there is a fear factor at home. I genuinely think that.

2 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think our players are aware when THEY are being booed and when the opposition are given the same treatment. I feel the atmosphere is different at away games and there is a fear factor at home. I genuinely think that.

I don't dispute it may affect confidence but they are professional football players and if they don't believe they have the ability to play the game why do they choose it as their occupation. The best way to shut up boo boys is believe in yourself, deliver the goods and get them cheering for you.

I think the vast majority of fans go to the football looking to get behind the team, with only a few serial moaners. I don't boo the team, but there's a general, non-specific booing that takes place at certain times which I've always thought was more about frustration than anything else e.g. at half time, there will be boos if we're losing and not playing well. That obviously sounds negative, but is maybe understandable given the last 3 years. 

However, I think when fans are keen to get behind the team, but the team don't show any/enough urgency and effort, don't create any chances and don't have any/many shots on goal (like last Saturday) then that can turn pretty quickly. We can all forgive a lack of skill or luck, but when we're rooted to the bottom of the league with a 7 point gap, I find it hard forgive the players for a performance so lacking in tempo, urgency and shots on goal.

Fans have a part to play, but players need to show the basics to maintain the fans' enthusiasm.      

On 1/8/2017 at 5:20 PM, dr rotund said:

Starting this Saturday! We need to get behind the team and take a big support up to Dunfermline. We are only 7 points behind Ayr, it's not finished yet.  We can either fight and stay up or go down fighting, i can't accept a meek surrender by the players and the fans. The numerous 'i told you so' threads are not helpful and it seems at times that some fans are never happier than when we are in a crisis. I'm going to go and support my team on Saturday and i expect the players to scrap for everything.  This is not about Jack Ross or the BOD etc.. this is about our team saving our place in the championship and while we're still in the fight we must back the team.

I agree with you 100% as will the vast majority of St.Mirren fans, but surely you can understand the frustration that is shown by St.Mirren fans most weeks.

On another subject not unrelated I think Jack Ross is the right manager for us, sadly some of the players he has at his disposal are only with the buddies for whatever money they can gleam from the club as their careers are all but over. It does no good whatsoever to name those players as at certain stages of the season we will have to utilize them.  Finally Gordon Scott and SMISA are doing a good job and I wish them well in their en devours.

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I don't dispute it may affect confidence but they are professional football players and if they don't believe they have the ability to play the game why do they choose it as their occupation. The best way to shut up boo boys is believe in yourself, deliver the goods and get them cheering for you.

They are professional footballers yeah, though they are also human beings. Depends on your personality i suppose,  as id imagine you would need to be really thick skinned to zone out all of the abuse from the stands, though I think the younger players if anything would find it more difficult. An off day for a single player can have an effect on a whole teams play in my opinion. When guys like Mallan (for talking sake) are having an off game, that can impact us pretty heavily. I'm sure if your boss in work was shouting across the office at you that 'you are **** at your job, sort it oot' , it would eventually eat away at you and demoralise you. Not looking for an argument, just thinking of the psychological side of things.

8 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

They are professional footballers yeah, though they are also human beings. Depends on your personality i suppose,  as id imagine you would need to be really thick skinned to zone out all of the abuse from the stands, though I think the younger players if anything would find it more difficult. An off day for a single player can have an effect on a whole teams play in my opinion. When guys like Mallan (for talking sake) are having an off game, that can impact us pretty heavily. I'm sure if your boss in work was shouting across the office at you that 'you are **** at your job, sort it oot' , it would eventually eat away at you and demoralise you. Not looking for an argument, just thinking of the psychological side of things.

I do agree to a certain extent but the argument everyone makes for anything football related be it business, psychological, personnel or even common sense wise is that Football is a special case. If you're a paid footballer you should have the mental state required for the job and some fans just like to boo so players should learn to live with it. its their job. Banning boo boys won't make them winning players only their determination to win can do that.

Edited by East Lothian Saint
missed word