Josh Todd

Hambud

11 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

As ever I admire your combativity Cap'n but I fail to see much relevance in the above waffle with regard to my original post.

We've got a p/t player coming into a f/t set-up which is a step up. That Dumbarton are currently above us in 8th place is no great argument either, long term that would likely be 18th of 19 f/t clubs and wouldn't keep the manager's job secure.

Todd's replacing Walsh who scored 4 goals in not nearly as many games before being jettisoned after the Morton defeat at the beginning of November, competing against Mallan and a couple of promising youngsters both of whom have already scored this season. While I agree he'll be in the mix straightaway (and said so in my first post) I don't think he'll be starting on Saturday (unlike Loy & Storie) if he does I'd regard it as panicking on JR's part.

Walsh's last game was at the start of November... it may have been JR's 3rd league game in charge, at that point in the season Walsh's 2 league goals were responsible for 50% of our points for the season. After that game he was never in a matchday squad, even as an unused sub again.

I'm not sure why this is being lauded as a great signing. He is on an amateur contract at Dumbarton, is a part time player, and moved to Dumbarton after 3 seasons with Annan, where presumably he was part-time. He is either a winger or attacking midfielder and has 0 goals in 27 games for Dumbarton yet folks are saying he'll obviously be better than Shankland, Walsh, and Hardie and will be better than Clarkson. I'm not a fan of Clarkson's contribution this season but fairly sure he scored the winner in our best result of the season (beating Hibs at Easter Road, as well as goals in the early ties in the League Cup group stages), Walsh had 2 league goals and 2 cup goals  in 16 appearances (a decent percentage of which were as a sub), Hardie had 3 goals in 17 appearances (again many of them as a sub) Shankland has had 24 appearances and 4 goals from cup games. Todd will have faced lower division teams in Irn Bru cup games,a d League Cup and Scottish cup and played against the same teams our 'flop' forwards have faced and has been even less effective in scoring than they were. 

When we was a full time player we probably hadn't won the League Cup... 1 game for Carlisle and 1 game for non-league Wokington.

I'm also guessing that it might be proving tricky to get the paperwork done, possibly with his amateur status... 2 days since Dumbarton announced he was going.

13 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

When we was a full time player we probably hadn't won the League Cup... 1 game for Carlisle and 1 game for non-league Wokington.

Who cares ? It's time for changing our options and praying they work out !

5 hours ago, scabbydug37 said:

Was Darren McGregor not P/T when he came to us

McGregor, McQuade, Wardlaw, a wee ginger left back Bradley? and Jon Robertson were all PT with Cowdenbeath before signing with us (let's not forget Mark Yardley either). How many were successes in making the step up to full time? McGregor and maybe Wardlaw as a squad player for 1 season... and big Yardley in the Championship 15-20 years ago.

Having had 2 or 3 knockbacks last week I think we can assume that most of the ones arriving now after Storrie are not first picks and are the plan B options.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

McGregor, McQuade, Wardlaw, a wee ginger left back Bradley? and Jon Robertson were all PT with Cowdenbeath before signing with us (let's not forget Mark Yardley either). How many were successes in making the step up to full time? McGregor and maybe Wardlaw as a squad player for 1 season... and big Yardley in the Championship 15-20 years ago.
Having had 2 or 3 knockbacks last week I think we can assume that most of the ones arriving now after Storrie are not first picks and are the plan B options.

Might be plan B but still on paper stronger signings than those so far Loy excepted if we have deals in place for players to go like Naismith but are waiting on lining up some replacements.

11 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Sorry FTOF , can't see what you can

St Mirren FC is delighted to announce the signing of Josh Todd until the end of the season.

It's on the official twitter feed pic pasted by Eric AB.

Might be your settings are preventing the item showing.

2 hours ago, David Mc said:

Now on the OS and if I read it right the club has a year's option.

Both club and player have done the right thing here.

Club: untried FT player , season finishes well, he gets a year extra & who knows what's next.

Player: wants to go FT, club survives got a full season for next year. God forbid, club goes down , he can find another FT gig......if he has performed !