SMiSA Update January 2017

Kendo

22 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Yeah great idea, throw three rows worth of your loyal season ticket supporters out their seat. That'll work. I sit near the back by choice if that choice was no longer available to me then yes it would be tough. Tough on the club because I wouldn't ever renew a season ticket ever again. What would be the point. I'd pick and choose my games.

Really?

Our Group of three were literally first online when the Season Tickets were first sold for the new Ground.  We selected online our three seats in the middle of the back row in W4.  They were our seats.  Only to find out, just before the Season started that our well-respected (by some) CEO at the time chose to move us down 3 rows to give seats to fans who were not at all happy with the seats they were left with.  It was their choice to buy later.

Don't get me wrong, the seats we occupy have a decent view, but not the excellent view we chose.  The 'Latecomers' could have been given the ones we now occupy and we could have had the seats we originally chose, but I suppose it's a case of 'who you know'.  However, we never thought once about not renewing our STs and neither should you.

From the off, the  STs for new ground should have been unallocated seating IMO.  This 'divine right' attitude of some is just selfish and has led to the shite atmosphere in the ground.

9 minutes ago, Vambo57 said:

From the off, the  STs for new ground should have been unallocated seating IMO.  This 'divine right' attitude of some is just selfish and has led to the shite atmosphere in the ground.

I've read that a few times on the forum, but in all honesty if you took away the guarantee of where you are sitting you may as well just stop selling season tickets.

Most folk don't buy a season ticket to save money. I'd wager that a lot of fans actually LOSE out by buying in advance because they'll miss games they've already paid for.

They buy the seat up front and that means they are guaranteed to be sitting close to friends, family or maybe they have a great view. I don't think that's selfish at all, in fact season ticket holders are critical to clubs like us as they provide guaranteed revenue regardless of how the team is performing.

Season Ticket holders should be applauded, not derided!

I'd also say the stadium gets a lot of bad press for it's "shite atmosphere" when in actual fact the shite atmosphere has been caused by what is happening on the pitch. Anyone who was at the 4-0 v Celtic, the 2-1 v Rangers or even as recently as last midweek's 2-0 win against Hibs has experienced excellent atmosphere in that stadium. It is fed directly by what happens on the park.

Love Street was devoid of atmosphere at times too, and anyone who says different is a wee fibber, or is under 10 years of age.

20 minutes ago, div said:

I've read that a few times on the forum, but in all honesty if you took away the guarantee of where you are sitting you may as well just stop selling season tickets.

Most folk don't buy a season ticket to save money. I'd wager that a lot of fans actually LOSE out by buying in advance because they'll miss games they've already paid for.

They buy the seat up front and that means they are guaranteed to be sitting close to friends, family or maybe they have a great view. I don't think that's selfish at all, in fact season ticket holders are critical to clubs like us as they provide guaranteed revenue regardless of how the team is performing.

Season Ticket holders should be applauded, not derided!

You've missed the point Div.  I am not deriding ST Holders.  I think every Fan should have an ST (if they can afford it) just not for a specific seat.  WE were thrown out of our original seat choice, but never thought about NOT renewing. 

Before Love St became all seated, where did the ST holders stand?... I'll tell you... wherever they could nearest their favorite spot!  Mainly in The North Bank, nobody ever complained then that they couldn;t get their seat.or 'spot' and it made for a great atmosphere (as you know).  Unallocated seating allows friends and family to congregate wherever they like, whenever they like.  Okay, it may not be exactly be at there favourite position, but so what?  Most away games I've been to, most fans sit wherever they like, not in their named seat and it makes for a much better atmosphere away.  No?

Seating, specifically allocated seating killed the atmosphere overnight.

Edited by Vambo57
... and don't get me started on Val Doonican

On 15/02/2017 at 11:37 PM, faraway saint said:

Another what, Dickson? :rolleyes:

Someone who generated more discussion that will probably ever be seen about SMISA?

Now it seems a "couple of likes" and positive comments is pleasing. :lol:

Dont confuse quantity for quality.

It really beggars belief that you need to be told this.

Dicko chose to leave.

Get over it.

10 hours ago, notabuddie said:

Why not SMISA money went on the disabled platform which no disrespect only a select few will use so why not a standing area in the west stand.. Surely the supporters /members money could be spent on the general support?

For me personally its not an either/or situation. The disabled platform is a different issue because that again imo is a statement by all our support that we dont see a disabled person when we look towards that, we see St Mirren fans getting the same opportunity, facility and consideration as all of us do. It is a great way to show we only see other saints fans, and we want all saints fans to have the same opportunity and view of the game.

10 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

Really?

Our Group of three were literally first online when the Season Tickets were first sold for the new Ground.  We selected online our three seats in the middle of the back row in W4.  They were our seats.  Only to find out, just before the Season started that our well-respected (by some) CEO at the time chose to move us down 3 rows to give seats to fans who were not at all happy with the seats they were left with.  It was their choice to buy later.

Don't get me wrong, the seats we occupy have a decent view, but not the excellent view we chose.  The 'Latecomers' could have been given the ones we now occupy and we could have had the seats we originally chose, but I suppose it's a case of 'who you know'.  However, we never thought once about not renewing our STs and neither should you.

I understand your point, I really do. However when we moved stadium we all moved to different seats and we all didn't get the seats we wanted. There were seven of us initially that couldn't get sitting together this has dwindled to four of us. We all sit together family and friends. We like the people around us and are happy where we are. Unfortunately I cannot get to every game due to personal circumstances. However I've maintained my season ticket as I like where I sit and who I sit beside. If suddenly I was told I was being moved then I wouldn't renew as all the benefits I currently enjoy would be gone. I would only buy tickets to go to the games that I can.

When it was all standing at Love Street I never had a season ticket as I didn't see any point in having one.

The problem was that there was more rows in the old ground than the new ground so there was no way of keeping everybody happy. The only people i knew that got seats pretty much the same were a large group of 1 of the supporters buses. I sit in W1 near the back and have no interest in moving so people can stand and sing. If it was ever to happen then I would be doing the same as Kendo and pay on the day but I don't see it ever happening.

16 hours ago, Kendo said:

The problem with this idea is how many 3 months pots would this use up? And if a bigger more short term issue arises while saving up for the elite status then do we have another vote or just keep saving up?

Nail pretty much on the head. Just mentioned on the other thread that we need a sustainable way to fund elite status and whatever is required - if the SMiSA cash is used for that then that'll use up the pot for the foreseeable future.

Not that fussed about a singing section either. Would like to see the money used on something to brighten up the ground be that updating/changing the HoF panels (the JD branding will need to be removed), painting stuff or putting up big photos/murals from moments in the club's history to cover up some of the grey or on the fences in the car park.

16 hours ago, notabuddie said:

Why W1? For our size of support the standing area should be above the exit for W3.. Should be simple enough to convert.

Problem with that is the folk that sit in W2 and W4 bordering on W3 they would not be able to see full pitch without then standing up

I don't know why I let that dickhead wind me up but here goes anyway.

It is ludicrous to suggest that SMiSA should offer funding for a standing area just because the membership previously voted to provide financial support for the disabled viewing platform. The plans for the viewing platform will have had almost unanimous support from the fans as it has brought the match day experience for disabled supporters into line with that of the able bodied supporters. A win for the disabled and a no-lose for anyone else. The proposed standing section is a completely different situation. This amounts to pandering to a minority at the cost of huge inconvenience to other supporters who are perfectly happy with the status quo. I don't want to be shifted from my regular spot to accommodate the standing section, nor would I want to put up with a rabble and drummers anywhere close to me. Unlike the creation of the disabled platform (with almost unanimous support) the issue of the standing area will be extremely divisive within the St Mirren support and within the SMiSA membership. I have been a SMiSA member since the group was formed but if SMiSA members choose to offer funding for this section I will cease my membership and I will not renew my season ticket.

I'd like to see on option for SMISA to fund Main Stand being altered with regards to segregation to allow for it to be used if required as either a replacement or to supplement the West Bank segregation

Ah, but you see with the disabled platform being where it is you couldn't easily house away fans close to their own side without creating even more issues.

3 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

Ah, but you see with the disabled platform being where it is you couldn't easily house away fans close to their own side without creating even more issues.

Is there not already the opposite scenario already in place at McDiarmid Park with Away Disabled support sitting in the Main Home Stand?

Safe standing would only be realistic if we utilised one (or more) of the corner areas.

I reckon the HoF boards have a definite purpose in individualising (is that a word?) what is a bland, generic identi-kit stadium. Anything that accessorises it to become more like home as opposed to a rented porta-cabin is fine by me.

I've been a long-time supporter of certain areas of the ground being non-specific ST sections. It wouldn't need to be the entire ground, or distinct blocks - ie: it could be based on rows as opposed to block sections.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Nail pretty much on the head. Just mentioned on the other thread that we need a sustainable way to fund elite status and whatever is required - if the SMiSA cash is used for that then that'll use up the pot for the foreseeable future.

Not that fussed about a singing section either. Would like to see the money used on something to brighten up the ground be that updating/changing the HoF panels (the JD branding will need to be removed), painting stuff or putting up big photos/murals from moments in the club's history to cover up some of the grey or on the fences in the car park.

Or, simply remove the HoF panels as they provide nothing, buy pots of paint and brushes, get a team in and paint the grey breezeblock some colour or other. That's what a SMiSA committee member suggests.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know why I let that dickhead wind me up but here goes anyway.

It is ludicrous to suggest that SMiSA should offer funding for a standing area just because the membership previously voted to provide financial support for the disabled viewing platform. The plans for the viewing platform will have had almost unanimous support from the fans as it has brought the match day experience for disabled supporters into line with that of the able bodied supporters. A win for the disabled and a no-lose for anyone else. The proposed standing section is a completely different situation. This amounts to pandering to a minority at the cost of huge inconvenience to other supporters who are perfectly happy with the status quo. I don't want to be shifted from my regular spot to accommodate the standing section, nor would I want to put up with a rabble and drummers anywhere close to me. Unlike the creation of the disabled platform (with almost unanimous support) the issue of the standing area will be extremely divisive within the St Mirren support and within the SMiSA membership. I have been a SMiSA member since the group was formed but if SMiSA members choose to offer funding for this section I will cease my membership and I will not renew my season ticket.

:zipit

On 07/03/2017 at 9:52 PM, TsuMirren said:

Well, it could certainly go to a vote. You don't know how many quarterly spends it would take up though, not to mention it's a good way from being priced and you then rule out the money going on anything else for a good while.

I wouldn't want to see it put to a vote unless the survey had been run, capacity decided, requirements were understood and it was fully priced.

Kenny remember it's a prerequisite for any spend to have a full costing before it's considered to be put to a vote, safe standing is not for me but for this to be considered we would have to obtain an accurate official estimate from a proper construction company and that would include drawings and planning application etc, too expensive for a £2 pot consideration imo.

Edited by buddiecat
Superfluous wording

Kenny remember it's a prerequisite for any spend to have a full costing before it's considered to be put to a vote, so there would be a bit of debate over who pays the cost of getting an estimate, safe standing is not for me but anyone wishing this to be considered would have to supply an accurate official estimate from a proper construction company and that would include drawings and planning application etc, too expensive for a £2 pot consideration imo.

Understood Peter, just making the point for everyone else. It's cetainly not simple, not mention low on the list of priorities at the moment.

1 minute ago, TsuMirren said:

Understood Peter, just making the point for everyone else. It's cetainly not simple, not mention low on the list of priorities at the moment.

Yes it's one for the future,for any spare money left in the clubs' budget to be spent on i'd say. There are two big payments due to the previous regime from SMiSA funds, one this July and the final one in July 2018 it is vital that no more funds be spent or loaned until we pay what's due for the share purchase agreement. The £2 pot is separate from the share purchase funds of course.

On 07/03/2017 at 9:40 PM, notabuddie said:

Why not SMISA money went on the disabled platform which no disrespect only a select few will use so why not a standing area in the west stand.. Surely the supporters /members money could be spent on the general support?

The platform brings in revenue when we hire out the ground for under 21 Scotland games and Scotland ladies team games, without it we stood to lose those games to another ground that has that facility, we also need it for when we get into Europe (we got within 2 games of being potential candidates for Europe next season)

Apart from that the main reason was to give our less able supporters some much needed protection from the weather along with having a better view, able bodied people can choose a seat with a good view and weather protection if they wish, less able people had no choice but getting wet and having a poor view.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

Kenny remember it's a prerequisite for any spend to have a full costing before it's considered to be put to a vote, so there would be a bit of debate over who pays the cost of getting an estimate, safe standing is not for me but anyone wishing this to be considered would have to supply an accurate official estimate from a proper construction company and that would include drawings and planning application etc, too expensive for a £2 pot consideration imo.

Does that mean anyone suggesting a proposal for the £2 vote, regardless of what it is, would need to provide full costings for their idea?