Mallan to Barnsley???

st jock

10 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

He undoubtedly has potential and has obviously shown enough in terms of free kicks, goal scoring, technique etc, to interest a Championship club. He's not big enough or strong enough to play central midfield in England, but they might try to develop him into a right sided midfielder and try to improve his crossing.

Even at £150-200-300k, it's a fairly low risk gamble for a club in the Championship. The fact that a club in England's second tier are interested him shows that they think he is decent enough and has the potential to develop into a player at that standard.

He's likely to be another player that we'll remember far more fondly once he's away, just like Kenny McLean.      

As you say, he has tons of potential and is a low risk buy for a Championsip club. Once he goes down there and has the benefit of better coaching, personal fitness and conditioning coaches and playing at a higher level, I think he could be turned into a Scotland international.

Look at Ryan Fraser who never played that many games with Aberdeen but had potential, he spent a few years with Bournemouth and has now broke into the 1st team and looks fantastic.

1 hour ago, Edinbuddie said:

but they might try to develop him into a right sided midfielder and try to improve his crossing.    

That's a decent shout. His short passing and close control aren't anywhere near that level either, for a player playing down the middle. Compare him to the likes of Gowser and it's not even close. He could make a decent wide player though if he works on his deliveries.

7 minutes ago, HSS said:

£150k is the price being mentioned in the papers.I would take that plus a 33% sell on.

Aye, better to take it now and let Ross strengthen, than haggle until the 11th hour and then punt him for a few extra washers (or risk the offer being taken off the table altogether). If ever the club needed a few bob to bring players in it is now.

Edited by Drew

It's frustrating to see the fees other clubs get but to be fair McCarthy, McArthur and Snodgrass have gone on to prove they are class players and certainly better than anyone we've produced in the same period. Hopefully McGinn goes on to win a big move and we rake in a large sum through the sell on clause. Also have high hopes for some of the young lads currently in the first team.

32 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

I've said it before. How do clubs like Hamilton and Livingston manage to get substantial payments for players and we always seem to get peanuts in comparison?

Probably because their fan forums praise them and talk them up, rather than slag and undervalue them... constantly...

If I was looking to buy a player, I would certainly be looking in fans Forums with interest...

2 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

That's a decent shout. His short passing and close control aren't anywhere near that level either, for a player playing down the middle. Compare him to the likes of Gowser and it's not even close. He could make a decent wide player though if he works on his deliveries.

Don't think he's quick enough to be a proper wide player. But if any Barnsley scouts are reading this.. he's the white Usain Bolt B)

24 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Apparently it was the Daily Record on twitter claiming the fee is 150k 

They have previous for making up shit like this when they want a story. Nobody knows how much Barnsley have offered except our board members. 

I would hope we can get a bigger fee with add on's and a sell on clause. 

and me :rolleyes: :P

Probably because their fan forums praise them and talk them up, rather than slag and undervalue them... constantly...
If I was looking to buy a player, I would certainly be looking in fans Forums with interest...

This, but you would also look at a club/team progress with said players in the team.

Hamilton went from mid table 2nd tier to mid table 1st tier with the two james'.

We went from 8th or 9th top tier to bottom 2nd tier with Mallan in the team.

We did progress with McGin slightly but then didn't sell him and we dropped again.

I think it also depends on the contracts these guys are on. I remember McCarthey signing a long term contract at Hamilton before his move in a bid to earn them good money. For some reason most of our youngsters are dying to get away from us.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

This, but you would also look at a club/team progress with said players in the team.

Hamilton went from mid table 2nd tier to mid table 1st tier with the two james'.

We went from 8th or 9th top tier to bottom 2nd tier with Mallan in the team.

We did progress with McGin slightly but then didn't sell him and we dropped again.

I think it also depends on the contracts these guys are on. I remember McCarthey signing a long term contract at Hamilton before his move in a bid to earn them good money. For some reason most of our youngsters are dying to get away from us.

Oh I wonder why that could be .mmm let me think .

Fair enough lower level but Mallan had proved he can cope in the premier league.  It is v disappointing that we never get the cash we deserve but Falkirk scam 1m from Norwich City for a young player 18 months ago. Hamilton do well and Motherwell got 500k for Irwin. 

Stephen Kingsley and Jay Fulton have both been in the Swansea first team this season. Not sure how much Falkirk got for them but suspect it was nowhere near the going rate for a Premiership player. Would agree it is galling though when you see guys like Fyvie and Andreu go for big money then do nothing

I've said it before. How do clubs like Hamilton and Livingston manage to get substantial payments for players and we always seem to get peanuts in comparison?

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps Hamilton or Livingston's fans don't spend 90 minutes shouting abuse at their more talented players.