Sell On Clauses

Drew

A few wee questions....

How do these things generally work?

Does the clause only apply to the club that bought the player in the first instance (in terms of McGinn, that would obviously be Hibs)? So we would receive an agreed percentage of what Hibs get as a fee should they sell him?

Are there any circumstances whereby the clause follows the player as he moves to other clubs throughout his career? Would that be enforceable (so to speak)?

Finally, I take we would get hee haw if no fee is applicable - ie: if the player's contract has expired when he moves on?

Ta much.

Edited by Drew

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

A few wee questions....

How do these things generally work?

Does the clause only apply to the club that bought the player in the first instance (in terms of McGinn, that would obviously be Hibs)? So we would receive an agreed percentage of what Hibs get as a fee should they sell him?

Are there any circumstances whereby the clause follows the player as he moves to other clubs on throughout his career? Would that be enforceable (so to speak)?

Finally, I take we would get hee haw if no fee is applicable - ie: if the player's contract has expired when he moves on?

Ta much.

No set way, you can pretty much contract whatever you want, though there are some set rules for young and homw grown players.

The other thing you can also do is Sell your sell on clause, so say St Mirren wanted to raise money now, they could sell McGinns clause back to hibs for an advance on the cash that would be due at a sale

16 minutes ago, Slash said:

Sell on clause would only apply once. Hamilton did really well with sales of McArthur and McCarthey.

I thought Hamilton continued to profit from McCarthy and McArthur from transfer deals after they left Wigan , likewise I THINK Barnsley profited considerably from John Stones going from Everton to Man City

4 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I thought Hamilton continued to profit from McCarthy and McArthur from transfer deals after they left Wigan , likewise I THINK Barnsley profited considerably from John Stones going from Everton to Man City

Aye, I had thought there were a few instances of the clause following the player beyond his first new club.

17 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

In McGinns case , the more I think about it , if for example McGinn is sold for £2million and Hibs insist on an additional %10 of the sell on fee , then we would be entitled to the to %3.3 of a future  sell on fee

To clarify , as well as the %33 of that McGinn is sold on for , if Hibs put in a sell on clause into the price , then I think we should be entitled of %33 of that

The only way Hibs will sell him for less than £100k would be for one of the following:-

• if the contract was about to run out
  • he did something incredibly stupid/illegal and they wanted him off the books quickly
  • they were getting players in an exchange deal
  • or they were selling on more than 1 player to the other club and could manipulate the element pricing to avoid sell on (did we not do something similar with Eddie Malone / Stephen O'Donnell?)

26 minutes ago, shull said:

McGinn might let his Contract run down. 

Yeah he might, but Hibs wouldn't let him.

McGinn would be offered a new deal by Hibs when he has 18 months left. If he declined that offer they would sell him.

The board got caned for letting McGinn go "on the cheap" but it could yet turn out to be a fantastic deal for us.

If they are promoted and he establishes himself as a Scotland international, neither of which are at all impossible, he could be a £3m player easily.

Yeah he might, but Hibs wouldn't let him.
McGinn would be offered a new deal by Hibs when he has 18 months left. If he declined that offer they would sell him.
The board got caned for letting McGinn go "on the cheap" but it could yet turn out to be a fantastic deal for us.
If they are promoted and he establishes himself as a Scotland international, neither of which are at all impossible, he could be a £3m player easily.

Wasn't that our plan? We offered him a new deal in Lennons final season. He didn't sign it. No bids came in for the remaining 18 months of his contract and he left when it was up.

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Wasn't that our plan? We offered him a new deal in Lennons final season. He didn't sign it. No bids came in for the remaining 18 months of his contract and he left when it was up.

There were bids for the player, if you remember Sheffield Utd came in with a bid said to be around £100K in 2014. It was rejected out of hand.

Our sitution and that which the player finds himself in now are slightly different.

He's now had an international cap, and has been in a few Scotland squads. Hibs are, like it or not, a much bigger club than we are.

History has shown that Hibs get good money for their best players when they go. It's in all our interests to hope they do the same with John McGinn.

I'd actually be very surprised if they haven't tried to take advantage of our critical situation and offered to buy out his sell-on clause.

There were bids for the player, if you remember Sheffield Utd came in with a bid said to be around £100K in 2014. It was rejected out of hand.
Our sitution and that which the player finds himself in now are slightly different.
He's now had an international cap, and has been in a few Scotland squads. Hibs are, like it or not, a much bigger club than we are.
History has shown that Hibs get good money for their best players when they go. It's in all our interests to hope they do the same with John McGinn.
I'd actually be very surprised if they haven't tried to take advantage of our critical situation and offered to buy out his sell-on clause.

Should have said acceptable bids. In the summer McGinn will be halfway through his four year contract.

He will then be offered a new one by Hibs. Judging by previous form and his ambition, I expect he will refuse to sign the new deal.
Then Hibs will be in the same situation as we were. Either sell him on the cheap or let him run his deal out. At the same time hope that another club will come in with big bucks.

McGinn has been - and still is - available for big money throughout his five year career. No club has paid it yet, I can't see them suddenly wanting to pay it next year. He's not getting any younger.

58 minutes ago, madball said:

The only way Hibs will sell him for less than £100k would be for one of the following:-

• or they were selling on more than 1 player to the other club and could manipulate the element pricing to avoid sell on (did we not do something similar with Eddie Malone / Stephen O'Donnell?)

That was the first thing I thought of although the circumstances are different. That was at Clyde's insistence as, IIRC, the Saintees were due 50% of Malone's transfer fee and Clyde sold the pair to Saints for £30k...£28K for O'Donnell and £2k for Malone.

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Barnsley sold Stones to Everton who sold him on to City.Barnsley only got one sell on fee.

I actually thought Barnsley got £7million from the deal ( %15 of any future transfer fee )

I think Barnsley would only have that deal with the club they contracted with. Future signing clubs wouldn't be party to that contract condition and wouldn't be bound by it.

So in this case Everton would have to cough up but City wont have to pay anything to Barnsley - only Everton (if they have put a similar clause in for themselves)