Sell On Clauses

Drew

1 hour ago, sally02 said:

Won't be £500k once the taxman gets his skin!

Hopefully it wont be £1.5 milion.  If I'm Hibs I'm knocking that right back as offensive.  If McGinn played in the English Championship he'd be going for £6 Million - £8 million 

• 2 years later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:24 AM, TopCat said:

Well he's 23 this year. There's players far younger than him who've already made it at a far higher level. Including younger Scottish players. If clubs from other leagues are going to pay big money for players here they're going to do it when they're younger than John is now.

When was the last time someone paid 5 million for a Scottish outfield player from the Scottish leagues? The answer is never. The record for that is Scott Brown, who went to Celtic for £4.4 million in the still mad Scottish football economy in 2007. Ryan Gauld, who was hyped to high heaven as the next Messi, went to Portugal for £3 million when he was 19. You think McGinn can command a fee almost double that when he's 4 years older? Why?

They won't have to to sell him on the cheap, just as we didn't have to. It will be an option for them though, just as us accepting the 100k bid for Sheffield United was for us. Other clubs will know that they just need to wait another season and a half or so to get him for nothing. If Hibs were going to get big money for him they would have got it in either the last summer window or this one. I haven't even seen any big clubs linked with him in either instance? Just like no big clubs were seriously linked with him when he was with us.

As for Scotland, I don't think he should have been called up or capped. There's Scottish players playing regularly in the EPL who can't get in the squad but a player playing in the Scottish Championship can get in the team. Madness, and another reason why Strachan will be out the door sooner rather than later. That's a different debate though.

I think John is an excellent player at Scottish Championship level and he can be very good in the Scottish Premiership. He will certainly go on to have a very good career in the game and probably end up at one of the Old Firm or a League One club, like Sheffield United. £5 million though? Come on. I personally believe he will leave Hibs for less than a quarter of that. Will bump this thread when he leaves Leith and will be delighted if I'm proved wrong.

Wise words...

😂

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Wise words...

😂

🤣

My only quibble with you posting that, is that it would have been polite to wait for Top Cat, to delightedly bump it up himself, as he said he would!  :)

"I personally believe he will leave Hibs for less than a quarter of that. Will bump this thread when he leaves Leith and will be delighted if I'm proved wrong."

14 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Wise words...

😂

He's got an eye for players and managers. No denying that. 

TBF though,  JMcG did go to Villa for less than £5M, but I'm sure his next move will be at least 10 times that.