Sell On Clauses

Drew

11 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I think Barnsley would only have that deal with the club they contracted with. Future signing clubs wouldn't be party to that contract condition and wouldn't be bound by it.

So in this case Everton would have to cough up but City wont have to pay anything to Barnsley - only Everton (if they have put a similar clause in for themselves)

See what you mean

I wonder if there are any examples of a player being sold ( with sell on clauses ) and then being sold again with sell on clauses , with the original selling team , still getting a slice of the transfer fee ?

43 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I think Barnsley would only have that deal with the club they contracted with. Future signing clubs wouldn't be party to that contract condition and wouldn't be bound by it.

So in this case Everton would have to cough up but City wont have to pay anything to Barnsley - only Everton (if they have put a similar clause in for themselves)

Thank you for explaining this to MS.

3 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I thought Hamilton continued to profit from McCarthy and McArthur from transfer deals after they left Wigan , likewise I THINK Barnsley profited considerably from John Stones going from Everton to Man City

That's the idea of a sell-on clause - you get a percentage of the next transfer fee...

Should have said acceptable bids. In the summer McGinn will be halfway through his four year contract.

He will then be offered a new one by Hibs. Judging by previous form and his ambition, I expect he will refuse to sign the new deal.
Then Hibs will be in the same situation as we were. Either sell him on the cheap or let him run his deal out. At the same time hope that another club will come in with big bucks.

McGinn has been - and still is - available for big money throughout his five year career. No club has paid it yet, I can't see them suddenly wanting to pay it next year. He's not getting any younger.

That's a remarkable post and none of it makes any sense.

Not getting any younger? He's only 22 FFS!!!!

Why would a club have to "sell a player on the cheap" who still had 2 years of his contract left??

McGinn will establish himself as a Scotland regular, Hibs will be promoted and he'll eventually get a move South for around £5m is a far more likely synopsis of what's going to happen there.

No idea why you want to be so negative about the situation with him?

Why would a club have to "sell a player on the cheap" who still had 2 years of his contract left??

McGinn will establish himself as a Scotland regular, Hibs will be promoted and he'll eventually get a move South for around £5m is a far more likely synopsis of what's going to happen there.

It seems negativity is in built with this fella at the moment.

Not a lot to be positive about.

The Team is in a shite state with little promise on show.

It's time the Sooper Dooper Fandans became realistic.

Support on the pitch, but tell the truth on here.

Our players are a lot of fecking crap.

1 minute ago, shull said:

I think you could do with a wee bit of reflection time in the cooler, mate.

What do you reckon? I think it could be therapeutic (well, it certainly would be for the rest of us).

4 minutes ago, shull said:

Has the league cup win , feel good factor finally worn off ? 

Supporting your team is for relegation battles also . 

Well he's 23 this year. There's players far younger than him who've already made it at a far higher level. Including younger Scottish players. If clubs from other leagues are going to pay big money for players here they're going to do it when they're younger than John is now.

When was the last time someone paid 5 million for a Scottish outfield player from the Scottish leagues? The answer is never. The record for that is Scott Brown, who went to Celtic for £4.4 million in the still mad Scottish football economy in 2007. Ryan Gauld, who was hyped to high heaven as the next Messi, went to Portugal for £3 million when he was 19. You think McGinn can command a fee almost double that when he's 4 years older? Why?

They won't have to to sell him on the cheap, just as we didn't have to. It will be an option for them though, just as us accepting the 100k bid for Sheffield United was for us. Other clubs will know that they just need to wait another season and a half or so to get him for nothing. If Hibs were going to get big money for him they would have got it in either the last summer window or this one. I haven't even seen any big clubs linked with him in either instance? Just like no big clubs were seriously linked with him when he was with us.

As for Scotland, I don't think he should have been called up or capped. There's Scottish players playing regularly in the EPL who can't get in the squad but a player playing in the Scottish Championship can get in the team. Madness, and another reason why Strachan will be out the door sooner rather than later. That's a different debate though.

I think John is an excellent player at Scottish Championship level and he can be very good in the Scottish Premiership. He will certainly go on to have a very good career in the game and probably end up at one of the Old Firm or a League One club, like Sheffield United. £5 million though? Come on. I personally believe he will leave Hibs for less than a quarter of that. Will bump this thread when he leaves Leith and will be delighted if I'm proved wrong.

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well he's 23 this year. There's players far younger than him who've already made it at a far higher level. Including younger Scottish players. If clubs from other leagues are going to pay big money for players here they're going to do it when they're younger than John is now.

When was the last time someone paid 5 million for a Scottish outfield player from the Scottish leagues? The answer is never. The record for that is Scott Brown, who went to Celtic for £4.4 million in the still mad Scottish football economy in 2007. Ryan Gauld, who was hyped to high heaven as the next Messi, went to Portugal for £3 million when he was 19. You think McGinn can command a fee almost double that when he's 4 years older? Why?

They won't have to to sell him on the cheap, just as we didn't have to. It will be an option for them though, just as us accepting the 100k bid for Sheffield United was for us. Other clubs will know that they just need to wait another season and a half or so to get him for nothing. If Hibs were going to get big money for him they would have got it in either the last summer window or this one. I haven't even seen any big clubs linked with him in either instance? Just like no big clubs were seriously linked with him when he was with us.

As for Scotland, I don't think he should have been called up or capped. There's Scottish players playing regularly in the EPL who can't get in the squad but a player playing in the Scottish Championship can get in the team. Madness, and another reason why Strachan will be out the door sooner rather than later. That's a different debate though.

I think John is an excellent player at Scottish Championship level and he can be very good in the Scottish Premiership. He will certainly go on to have a very good career in the game and probably end up at one of the Old Firm or a League One club, like Sheffield United. £5 million though? Come on. I personally believe he will leave Hibs for less than a quarter of that. Will bump this thread when he leaves Leith and will be delighted if I'm proved wrong.

I agree with all of this

The market for Scottish players has fallen as they regard the standard as rotten

Our clubs performances in Europe back this up

25 minutes ago, TopCat said:

As for Scotland, I don't think he should have been called up or capped. There's Scottish players playing regularly in the EPL who can't get in the squad but a player playing in the Scottish Championship can get in the team. Madness, and another reason why Strachan will be out the door sooner rather than later. That's a different debate though

So I read this right ? McGinn is an average championship player this the man you say should not play for Scotland yet he got man of the match for his full international cap. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

So I read this right ? McGinn is an average championship player this the man you say should not play for Scotland yet he got man of the match for his full international cap. 

' I think John is an excellent player at Scottish Championship level '

I know you like to twist my words, but getting me saying that he is an average Championship player from that line is a brass neck even for you :lol:

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

' I think John is an excellent player at Scottish Championship level '

I know you like to twist my words, but getting me saying that he is an average Championship player from that line is a brass neck even for you :lol:

Ok can you tell me how he got man of the match for Scotland? 

Ok can you tell me how he got man of the match for Scotland? 

Because he played well in a friendly against Denmark? I'm guessing there as I don't pay any attention to international friendlies and I didn't see the game.

Seems I'm not the only one. Despite getting man of the match in March he's only played 15 more minutes for Scotland since.

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Has the league cup win , feel good factor finally worn off ? 

Supporting your team is for relegation battles also . 

We all support the Team at the Matches where it might count. 

I clap them onto the Park and try to encourage them as do most fans. 

Doesn't take away the fact that the Team is a fecking disaster. 

And the Sooper Dooper Fandans should feck up and stop pulling rank. 

COSMFC 

13 minutes ago, shull said:

COSMFC 

Aye, we know what you think shull. Saying over and over and over again doesn't make it any more interesting, though.

21 minutes ago, shull said:

COSMFC 

Every game from now until the end of the season is far more important than that final , but unfortunately most fans don't see that way .

No pulling rank from me . If you think that slagging the team off will help , well carry on . 

Edited by munoz

1 hour ago, shull said:

*Finger hovers over ignore button*

Maybe I`m wrong here but I had been under the impression that McGinn had more or less been freed by Saints following a woeful last season and some kind of bust up and injury, much like when McGowan left ?

It seems rather pathetic that given our more pressing problems some fans are holding up a begging bowl in the hope some alms are forthcoming from the transfer of another teams player.