??Riddle me this??

Jolly_Boy_John_87

This forum is full of talented intellectuals. Have a go at this. I'm stumped 

You're locked in a basement kitchen with a skylight window on the upper left wall that you cannot reach. The skylight window is open slightly and you need to get out fast. There is a fitted cooker, a fitted fridge/freezer and a fitted washing machine located on the other side of the basement. How do you get out?

19 minutes ago, Jolly_Boy_John_87 said:

This forum is full of talented intellectuals. Have a go at this. I'm stumped 

You're locked in a basement kitchen with a skylight window on the upper left wall that you cannot reach. The skylight window is open slightly and you need to get out fast. There is a fitted cooker, a fitted fridge/freezer and a fitted washing machine located on the other side of the basement. How do you get out?

Promise Div you'll shut the fcuk up about SMiSA and the 'community' and he lets you out?

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yup. In order to have a set of fitted appliances there must be a door unless the fridge pixies installed it. Therefore simply open the door.

In these 'puzzles' don't you have to take the scenario as painted to you at face value? I'm hopeless at trying to work them out, but in this instance aren't you supposed to assume the only way out is through the skylight and the puzzle is how to do it only using the appliances mentioned? You have to take it as read that there's no door, nothing bar the items mentioned? The idea that you could use the washing machine to flood the place and eventually float up to the skylight? That sort of 'left field' answer?

If the answer is just 'not only are there appliances in there, but also you're in there, so there must be a door, just open it and walk out' - then it's one almighty shite puzzle. No?

Please tell me that isn't the answer... sin bin & wank tank...

Edited by pozbaird

Fridge freezers usually have drawer type things in the freezer compartment. Could they be taken out, upturned and stacked, then used to stand on to access the skylight? Might not be strong enough if you're a fat bassa right enough.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

In these 'puzzles' don't you have to take the scenario as painted to you at face value? I'm hopeless at trying to work them out, but in this instance aren't you supposed to assume the only way out is through the skylight and the puzzle is how to do it only using the appliances mentioned? You have to take it as read that there's no door, nothing bar the items mentioned? The idea that you could use the washing machine to flood the place and eventually float up to the skylight? That sort of 'left field' answer?

If the answer is just 'not only are there appliances in there, but also you're in there, so there must be a door, just open it and walk out' - then it's one almighty shite puzzle. No?

Please tell me that isn't the answer... sin bin & wank tank...

Many of these types of puzzles are deliberately vague to test your ability to think outside the box.

The skylight thing is misdirection to prevent you thnking about the door. It is deliberate.

Companies like Google used to use questions like this during job interviews.

They might still do. Crazy eh?

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

No I saw that.

I also saw the key in the lock of the door and simply turned it.

Result is the same.

I thought that, too, but the initial post actually specifies 'locked in a room' as opposed to 'in a locked room'. Arguably, there is a distinction there.