GLS interview on Clyde tonight

As I've said before, I wasn't a huge fan of Alex Rae or the style of football he had us playing. I do think some of the abuse he has taken about his time at the club is out of order and disproportionate.

The guy was sacked after 6 league games this season, and its not unusual in those circumstances to be bitter or feel hard done to when you did OK under the previous chairman (given the circumstances we were in at the time) but the new owner comes in and straight away he feels like his days are numbered at the club.

I don't think Rae claimed he was a better manager than Gus or Hendrie or his team were better than their promotion winning sides, he just said that his stats as a manager were the best since 1983 for any St Mirren manager, no doubt making the point that he felt that after a bad start to the season he was dismissed as soon as possible and not given much time to turn things around or allowed to wait on guys returning from injuries. It's hardly Rae's fault that his stats don't include any time in the SPL  with St Mirren and are based on 10 months as manager rather than the 7 years Gus had.

Was it St Mirren night on the radio last night? Stewart Gilmour, Gordon Scott and Alex Rae all on.

Didn't hear any of it but doesn't surprise me Rae is bitter, he always came across as that type of guy. He may of had our best win % as a manager in years but that really is a pointless stat taken over too short a period to mean anything. The majority of that came in a 5 or 6 game stretch when he first took over where we ground out a few much needed results that kept us up in the end but that was not a sustainable way to play for the future.

6 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Was it St Mirren night on the radio last night? Stewart Gilmour, Gordon Scott and Alex Rae all on.

Didn't hear any of it but doesn't surprise me Rae is bitter, he always came across as that type of guy. He may of had our best win % as a manager in years but that really is a pointless stat taken over too short a period to mean anything. The majority of that came in a 5 or 6 game stretch when he first took over where we ground out a few much needed results that kept us up in the end but that was not a sustainable way to play for the future.

Aye, then he had an opportunity to build his own squad, and made a monumental arse of it. Saying that, even with the squad he had this season, he should have done better. Utter shambles, and he should hold his hand up.

Hes one of the shortest served managers been at the club so to base his stats on half a season and a few games this season is embarassing.

Gordon Scott comes across well and I think he gets alot of unfair stick at times. There is a lot of hard work behind closed doors that isnt always in the public domain.

Glad to hear we are putting an end to this merry go round manager malarky. It is clearly evident that stability is required a nd I feel since Lennon, JR is the best man for the job.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye, then he had an opportunity to build his own squad, and made a monumental arse of it. Saying that, even with the squad he had this season, he should have done better. Utter shambles, and he should hold his hand up.

It's "The Rangers" way , don't own up to anything .

1 minute ago, El Gingero said:

Do you think JR should have done better with the squad he inherited?

I know you didn't ask me, but I would say so. Home defeats against QoS, Dunfermline and Dumbarton are inexcusable for the squad we had, and those, more than any others, are the results that have us in such a poor situation. Ross still has to prove himself - but I believe we should give him time to do that. 

Just now, El Gingero said:

Do you think JR should have done better with the squad he inherited?

Jury still out on that. Let's see how he does with a crop of his own players then compare and contrast.

Ross inherited a squad that was entirely bereft if confidence, and was very unbalanced (in more than one respect).

If there is little or no improvement following his dealings this month, it could be argued that the issue lies more with him than with the squad Rae assembled.

Jury still out on that. Let's see how he does with a crop of his own players then compare and contrast.

Ross inherited a squad that was entirely bereft if confidence, and was very unbalanced (in more than one respect).

If there is little or no improvement following his dealings this month, it could be argued that the issue lies more with him than with the squad Rae assembled.

People are picking the bones and the faults in Rae's squad but at the beginning of the season most people were optimistic because of the squad.

Quinn & McKenzie were injured early doors and that put us back a bit and never recovered.

Giving Jack Ross the nod for next season could work either way. He down tools knowing that he's safe for next year or he proves the Chairman correct for his confidence.

I don't know JR at all but I think he would be the type of guy who rolls his sleeves up and gets us out of this mess.

I'm still fairly optimistic about surviving this season but each week we don't gain any ground on our rivals my confidence dips.

I will still pay my £ 25.- each month and go home and Away whatever division we are in.

2 hours ago, El Gingero said:

People are picking the bones and the faults in Rae's squad but at the beginning of the season most people were optimistic because of the squad.

Quinn & McKenzie were injured early doors and that put us back a bit and never recovered.

Giving Jack Ross the nod for next season could work either way. He down tools knowing that he's safe for next year or he proves the Chairman correct for his confidence.

I don't know JR at all but I think he would be the type of guy who rolls his sleeves up and gets us out of this mess.

I'm still fairly optimistic about surviving this season but each week we don't gain any ground on our rivals my confidence dips.

I will still pay my £ 25.- each month and go home and Away whatever division we are in.

I won't be a hypocrite, I thought our squad was pretty strong as we embarked on the season. I think Ray's style of management and approach to playing the game managed to get the worst out of it, though.

The players didn't cover themselves in glory, of course, but the buck had to stop with Rae. I was hearing some pretty unsavoury stories about his interactions with players (granted, I can't comment on the veracity, but the sources seemed legitimate enough). The lack of confidence was glaringly obvious, as was Ray's increasingly lackadaisical manner despite our perilous position even that early in the season.

JR wasn't my preference for a replacement. I wanted Yogi Hughes in, but it wasn't to be. Ross has made mistakes, but the we have to arrest this cycle of hiring and firing at some point.

Edited by Drew

Although I thought we had some decent players I was not too carried away with the squad. I was surprised that Clarkson and Gallagher being signed as I thought they did not merit another year. Hutton on 2 year deal was also a strange one as although he was 'ok' with QoS some of their supporters were not impressed by him. Letting Kelly go and not signing another left back was also a bit strange.  But my biggest concern was the imbalance of the squad ie young inexperienced players beings signed (who turned out to be worse that players we already had at the club) and over the hill crocks with only Hutton being in his 'prime' (age wise). And signing Gordon then never playing him and sending him out on loan was pretty mental considering Webster and McKenzie had frequent injury problems. Rae really produced a pretty f**ked up squad but Hardie, Walsh and Shankland were all major disappointments - a gamble that certainly did not pay off.

59 minutes ago, Hambud said:

What was Alan McManus win/point to games ratio? With the same squad as Rae and Ross emoji476.pngemoji476.png

Alan McManus As of 19 September 2016
Team Nat From To Record
G W D L Win %
Greenock Morton Scotland 22 September 2009  31 October 2009 6 2 0 4 33.33
St Mirren Scotland 18 September 2016 4 October 2016 3 1 1 1 33.33
Total 9 3 1 5 33.33

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

What was Alan McManus win/point to games ratio? With the same squad as Rae and Ross emoji476.pngemoji476.png

Alex Rae

As of match played on 17 September 2016[16]
Team From To Record
G W D L Win %
Dundee 24 May 2006 20 October 2008 97 42 22 33 43.30
St Mirren 18 December 2015 18 September 2016 34 15 6 13 44.12
Total 131 57 28 46 43.51

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

Jack Ross As of match played on 14 January 2017.[15]
Team Nat From To Record
G W D L Win %
Alloa Athletic Scotland 15 December 2015 8 October 2016 34 13 8 13 38.24
St Mirren Scotland 8 October 2016 Present 15 4 3 8 26.67
Total 49 17 11 21 34.69

1 hour ago, East Lothian Saint said:
Jack Ross As of match played on 14 January 2017.[15]
Team Nat From To Record
G W D L Win %
Alloa Athletic Scotland 15 December 2015 8 October 2016 34 13 8 13 38.24
St Mirren Scotland 8 October 2016 Present 15 4 3 8 26.67
Total 49 17 11 21 34.69

Jack Ross has won 2 league games in 13 league matches, a win rate of 15.3% in the Championship thus far.

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Jack Ross has won 2 league games in 13 league matches, a win rate of 15.3% in the Championship thus far.

McManus got 1league point out of 6 which is still better than Jack at 16.6% but no where near AR's record. It all makes horrible reading no matter how you look at it.

6 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

McManus got 1league point out of 6 which is still better than Jack at 16.6% but no where near AR's record. It all makes horrible reading no matter how you look at it.

Mmm you can do any thing with stats. just realised I was comparing points percentage with win rate. McManus had a win rate of 0%. S:rolleyes:rry JR.