Jason Naismith Leaves

Drew

Can anyone shine light on why the Naismith fee is supposedly so low.  I've had a look at the policy for development fee and it says up to and including 24 year old which he falls well within.  So surely a player thats been at the club all through his youth would command a significant amount of compensation? Surely there must be a sell on percentage or some kind of future incentive or it would appear we have been completely low balled. 

Is it because we didn't offer him a new contract and if so surely we should of made a nominal offer with a year extension when we first found out about Ross County to protect our development interest?

Can anyone shine light on why the Naismith fee is supposedly so low.  I've had a look at the policy for development fee and it says up to and including 24 year old which he falls well within.  So surely a player thats been at the club all through his youth would command a significant amount of compensation? Surely there must be a sell on percentage or some kind of future incentive or it would appear we have been completely low balled. 
Is it because we didn't offer him a new contract and if so surely we should of made a nominal offer with a year extension when we first found out about Ross County to protect our development interest?

Think it's to do with his age.

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

This is my understanding and if I am wrong I would be grateful to anyone who can put me right.

The Club is entitled to development fees for players under 23 who either are, out of contract and been offered a new contract, or for players who are still in contract. Jason will be 23 in June and will be out of contract. RC could sign him then for free on both the above counts. But for now as he is still 22 just they they have to pay a development fee albeit a token fee as they can get him soon for nothing.

The problem with SMFC offering Jason a new contract just now is simple - what League will be playing in next season? The chances are we would be offering less that he is on just now and significantly less than a Premiership Club.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthespfl_1375800603.pdf

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

This is my understanding and if I am wrong I would be grateful to anyone who can put me right.

The Club is entitled to development fees for players under 23 who either are, out of contract and been offered a new contract, or for players who are still in contract. Jason will be 23 in June and will be out of contract. RC could sign him then for free on both the above counts. But for now as he is still 22 just they they have to pay a development fee albeit a token fee as they can get him soon for nothing.

The problem with SMFC offering Jason a new contract just now is simple - what League will be playing in next season? The chances are we would be offering less that he is on just now and significantly less than a Premiership Club.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthespfl_1375800603.pdf

I think the key is when the season officially ends. Does it end with the last game, or does it end at the end of June, when player contracts traditionally run out. If the latter, Naismith would have turned 23 when the season ends, and hence be outwith the compensation rules.

They paid a transfer fee now, to get him early.

Just speculating regarding the compensation, obviously, as I'm not a sports lawyer...

Good luck to the guy , he was definitely one of our best players and has done well for saints

it has always disappointed me when we lose players to the likes of Ross county though ( higher league status aside) it's sad that we can't compete financially with a wee team from Dingwall. 

Wont be the last time I think 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
14 hours ago, pod said:

Looks happy here

View image on Twitter

He met Pedro while on holiday. Was in Villa next door.

Just found out.

The conversation went something like:

Jason: " Hey. You're Pedro. Right"?

Pedro: "Yes. That is correcto".

Jason: "I'm Jason Naismith. I'm a football player too".

Pedro: "Why do I know your name"?

Jason: "I  play for Ross County in Scotland".

Pedro: "Who"?

Jason: "Ross County. I used to Play for Saint Mirren".

Pedro: "Aah. That's why I know you. The famous Saint Mirren who won that first European trophy.....................

Can we have a selfy taken"?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

SSN reporting Hull City and Shrewsbury have made enquiries to Ross County regarding Jason Naismith.

If true,  any one of then would be good move for him.   Reflexs well on us.

Edited by pod