Gilmour on Sportsound.

4 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Poland has a population of 40 million, (9th) Rumania about 18 million, (10th) Scotland with 5 million is the 28th most populated country in Europe and were 16th on the list,, YES off with there heads :wacko:

Beat me to it.  Don't know what some people expect of Scotland and Scottish football at times!

part time club part time manager how much was the compo do you know ???  check all SG managerial appointments they were all cheap options every time, that's a fact,, sometimes he got lucky most times he didnt

The cheap option was Gary Teale, who was already there. Instead of taking the cheap option they paid off Teale, paid Dumbarton compo for Murray and Spalding. Then paid off Spalding and Murray.

They were actually very much the expensive option.

8 hours ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Gilmour is right and IMO Doncaster is a disgrace.

Yet this is the same Gilmour who sat in the club board room and readily cited Doncaster's slabberings about bloody armageddon as justification for arguing that sevco be afforded direct access to the 1st Division.

Gilmour didn't do hellish much to urge change in terms of the administration in the game when he was in a position to, so I'm afraid that his views on it now seem rather empty.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Apparently Scotland needs a strong Rangers.

Unbelievably depressing to hear this spouted again.

I think that was in the context of controlling Celtic and nothing else which is because of the ridiculous "voting" criteria 

Said it before and I'll say it again, my respect for the man diminished greatly that night when in the main stand of our own ground, he fed us line after line of lies and speculation to pressure us into voting to give the board the go ahead to keep Rangers in the SPL then looked on like a disappointed father when some of us had the temerity to disagree with the standpoint he was making. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, my respect for the man diminished greatly that night when in the main stand of our own ground, he fed us line after line of lies and speculation to pressure us into voting to give the board the go ahead to keep Rangers in the SPL then looked on like a disappointed father when some of us had the temerity to disagree with the standpoint he was making. 

Just for clarity, it wasn't about sevco remaining in the SPL, it was the suggestion that they should gain direct access to the 1st Division. In many respects, that was worse, in that it was shitting on clubs below us whilst being seen to make some form of gesture about sporting integrity, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, and as mentioned before, all the shite they tried to feed us was spun by Regan and Cockwomble.

The problem with the previous board was they took us out of a crisis. There's no question that they done a fantastic job in that regard. However they continued to crisis manage after we came out of crisis. They didn't adapt to take us into a sustained run of success they had the mindset of just doing enough to get by. If we had got new owners around the time we moved stadium then perhaps we would have kicked on.

56 minutes ago, Drew said:

Just for clarity, it wasn't about sevco remaining in the SPL, it was the suggestion that they should gain direct access to the 1st Division. In many respects, that was worse, in that it was shitting on clubs below us whilst being seen to make some form of gesture about sporting integrity, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, and as mentioned before, all the shite they tried to feed us was spun by Regan and Cockwomble.

The bit in bold is it in a nutshell for me Drew................the only info re sponsorships, TV deals etc was coming from those clowns and all any of the clubs chairmen could do was relay that info. The fact that none of it came true shows that pair to be the shysters they are and incredibly they're both still in a job, it beggars belief!!

9 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

The bit in bold is it in a nutshell for me Drew................the only info re sponsorships, TV deals etc was coming from those clowns and all any of the clubs chairmen could do was relay that info. The fact that none of it came true shows that pair to be the shysters they are and incredibly they're both still in a job, it beggars belief!!

The thing is, though, Gilmour and Co sat in the board room and called Doncaster for everything (colourful language was used), yet were clearly willing to accept the shite he and his SFA sidekick were feeding them, as it suited their purposes.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

The thing is, though, Gilmour and Co sat in the board room and called Doncaster for everything (colourful language was used), yet were clearly willing to accept the shite he and his SFA sidekick were feeding them, as it suited their purposes.

I agree Drew but without evidence to the contrary they had to take it at face value......................my own gut is that, despite his protestations and saying they should be punished and his club could survive and thrive without them, Lawell was pushing this agenda too.

2 hours ago, Kendo said:

The problem with the previous board was they took us out of a crisis. There's no question that they done a fantastic job in that regard. However they continued to crisis manage after we came out of crisis. They didn't adapt to take us into a sustained run of success they had the mindset of just doing enough to get by. If we had got new owners around the time we moved stadium then perhaps we would have kicked on.

You know the thing that sticks in my throat more than anything that the old board did was selling the family silver, LOVE ST our spiritual home, a place I loved,  moving to GHR, and before the paint was even dry on the wall, 6wks if I remember right,  they put the club up for sale. 2million I think the bidding was to start, well am sorry but anyone who starts a project like moving to a new stadium a bright new future, you would expect them to stick around for a while,, so what does that tell me ? ask yourself is that what you would have done

2 hours ago, WeeBud said:

I agree Drew but without evidence to the contrary they had to take it at face value......................my own gut is that, despite his protestations and saying they should be punished and his club could survive and thrive without them, Lawell was pushing this agenda too.

They should have applied a more rigorous analysis of the claims made by Doncaster and Regan. I found myself stifling a contemptuous snigger as they set them out in the board room that afternoon.

It was nothing more than doom laden, hyperbolic prophesies based on spurious projections, with absolutely no substance to back them up. Listening to Gilmour trying to justify the Board's acceptance of these predictions having just referred to Doncaster in the manner in which he had was a bizarre experience.

Edited by Drew

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

They should have applied a more rigorous analysis of the claims made by Doncaster and Regan. I found myself stifling a contemptuous snigger as they set them out in the board room that afternoon.

It was nothing more than dooms laden, hyperbolic prophesies based on spurious projections, with absolutely no substance to back them up. Listening to Gilmour trying to justify the Board's acceptance of these predictions having just referred to Doncaster in the manner in which he had was a bizarre experience.

I couldn't make sense of that either, I couldn't make the meeting unfortunately but did speak to him by phone.

I asked about that and all he could say was that they could only base it on the info they had, worst case scenario and there were time pressures re a decision (which I took to mean they didn't have the time to do anything other than accept). The whole situation surrounding  "Rangers" at the time was all very bizarre

Poland has a population of 40 million, (9th) Rumania about 18 million, (10th) Scotland with 5 million is the 28th most populated country in Europe and were 16th on the list,, YES off with there heads :wacko:

Population has nothing to do with it. Are you trying to tell me Polish & Romanian football should be generating more money than our countries league due to population? In that case Polish & Romanian should be generating more money than the Dutch & Portuguese leagues. Your point doesn't add up.

Population has nothing to do with it. Are you trying to tell me Polish & Romanian football should be generating more money than our countries league due to population? In that case Polish & Romanian should be generating more money than the Dutch & Portuguese leagues. Your point doesn't add up.

Well what drives the value of tv rights? Ratings. Just as there's very little interest in the Scottish league outside Scotland, there is very little interest in Polish or Romanian football outside either of those countries.

The domestic market is what drives the value of rights for leagues like that. There's far more Polish and Romanian football fans than Scottish, therefore far more potential viewers. Therefore their rights are worth more.

The Dutch and Portuguese are slightly different in the sense that those leagues carry some kind of appeal with viewers from other countries.

Well what drives the value of tv rights? Ratings. Just as there's very little interest in the Scottish league outside Scotland, there is very little interest in Polish or Romanian football outside either of those countries.
The domestic market is what drives the value of rights for leagues like that. There's far more Polish and Romanian football fans than Scottish, therefore far more potential viewers. Therefore their rights are worth more.
The Dutch and Portuguese are slightly different in the sense that those leagues carry some kind of appeal with viewers from other countries.

I disagree whether we like it or not the OF have a global reach much more than any Romanian or Polish football clubs have. Also am sure Romanian and Polish football fans are not shelling out thousands of £'s per year to Sky & BT to watch football and we can only negotiate a pittance of a TV deal for our share.

I disagree whether we like it or not the OF have a global reach much more than any Romanian or Polish football clubs have. Also am sure Romanian and Polish football fans are not shelling out thousands of £'s per year to Sky & BT to watch football and we can only negotiate a pittance of a TV deal for our share.

That's the one fixture that carries any kind of interest outside Scotland, and even then it's very limited. The fact is more people will watch Romanian and polish football on telly each year than Scottish football, and that's why their rights are worth more.

I pay to subscribe to Sky and BT. I have no interest in watching Scottish football that doesn't involve St Mirren and couldn't tell you the last time I did. I use my Sky and BT subscription to watch the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Champions League and other sports. I would imagine most Scottish subscribes are the same.

7 minutes ago, TopCat said:

That's the one fixture that carries any kind of interest outside Scotland, and even then it's very limited. The fact is more people will watch Romanian and polish football on telly each year than Scottish football, and that's why their rights are worth more.

I pay to subscribe to Sky and BT. I have no interest in watching Scottish football that doesn't involve St Mirren and couldn't tell you the last time I did. I use my Sky and BT subscription to watch the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Champions League and other sports. I would imagine most Scottish subscribes are the same.

As someone who has travelled far and wide in the world spending many months on diffrent continents I can tell you English football is by far the most popular followed by Spain and Germany.  France and Italy get a look in but not as much as England, Spain Germany. When asked where I come from its always followed with Celtic & Rangers Whether that be Europe, African continent, South America, North America.  Interesting  most always say they like celtic.  Have never seen a Polish league game on my travels or Romanian for that matter.  The fact my own working team were Polish and Romanian they would have loved to watch thier own countries games. In Brazil in a pub i watched highlights of the SPL when St Mirren were in that league.