Juniors

Tommy

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, was taking to my dad yesterday and couldn't see a league game, obviously never looked at the other option. 

It was meant to be Burgh's home game but switched venues due to the Burgh's horrible pitch

The excuse was the weather but the decision was made the being of the week

Let's say it suited Burgh to play on Renfrew's excellent pitch

Renfrew's pitch , unfortunately , has proved to be their undoing in affecting their league status. The old Western Park was so bad that every April/May they had 10 or more outstanding league games to play. Now they get their games played early , and give the other teams a points target , like last season. Looking at it , they are facing a similar scenario this year , where it looks that they will post a final points total early in a promotion place , but will probably be caught by the clubs who have games in hand due to postponements !

6 hours ago, billyg said:

Renfrew's pitch , unfortunately , has proved to be their undoing in affecting their league status. The old Western Park was so bad that every April/May they had 10 or more outstanding league games to play. Now they get their games played early , and give the other teams a points target , like last season. Looking at it , they are facing a similar scenario this year , where it looks that they will post a final points total early in a promotion place , but will probably be caught by the clubs who have games in hand due to postponements !

Currently sitting 3rd but, as you said, quite a few teams have games in hand.

It could go either way having their games played, other teams can end up playing 3 games a week at the end of the season but they are erratic.

image.png.2978ec9705615dee9515d21a00ee34d6.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

Its quite fitting that this was the SJFA's last act as an organisation. Total shambles and sums them up.

I'm not 100% sold on the pyramid but one major bonus of it is getting rid of the SJFA.

Its funny EVERY association or body associated with football is considered a total shambles. 

Why is that, is it because they are or the people making the assessment know only 10% of the detail that decisions are made on ?

Seems to be that everything at all levels is just abused as being useless, corrupt, idiots etc etc

Edited by lenziebud

5 hours ago, HSS said:

The SJFA decided the titles on average points from games played.Theres not an easy solution but  this method seems quite fair to me.

Two major problems with the way they've done that;

1. It attributes absolutely no responsibility to teams for getting games played - Talbot and certain other teams end up way behind on fixtures every year due to the poor quality of the pitch. They have a degree of responsibility to improve this and get the games on. Yes some of this is due to the cup competitions, but not anywhere near all of it.

2. They didn't state a cut off number of games that needed to be played to have counted in the average points method. By that logic you could have essentially played 1 won 1, 100% record and win the league.

From all the ways it could have been done this is the most Mickey Mouse and embarrassing way. You either call it as it stands, vow to play it to a finish at some point or null and void the season. Either of these 3 options would have been reasonable. They have just made a total joke of themselves. I highly doubt we will see the average points method used anywhere else in world football. Embarrassing.

23 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Two major problems with the way they've done that;

1. It attributes absolutely no responsibility to teams for getting games played - Talbot and certain other teams end up way behind on fixtures every year due to the poor quality of the pitch. They have a degree of responsibility to improve this and get the games on. Yes some of this is due to the cup competitions, but not anywhere near all of it.

2. They didn't state a cut off number of games that needed to be played to have counted in the average points method. By that logic you could have essentially played 1 won 1, 100% record and win the league.

From all the ways it could have been done this is the most Mickey Mouse and embarrassing way. You either call it as it stands, vow to play it to a finish at some point or null and void the season. Either of these 3 options would have been reasonable. They have just made a total joke of themselves. I highly doubt we will see the average points method used anywhere else in world football. Embarrassing.

You seriously think Talbot didn't want matches played, honestly. I went back to Auchinleck earlier on in the season to watch them play Pollok and was hugely impressed with the improvements to the ground since I refereed there !. The pitch was fine btw. Huge amount of Talbot backlog is due to cup.

They are a quality club who are miles ahead as a team of any other in the league and were correctly awarded the league.

Most of the junior teams who have many matches played are playing on astro.

I follow Rob Roy and over the winter period nearly all the home games are off due Cumbernauld pitch being unplayable. Its the same for most junior teams playing on grass. 

There are no easy answers to any of this so why don't we just stop picking a scab and move on. No organisation can make a decision on this stuff without escaping abuse and their credibility being questioned. I'm actually sick of reading all the self interest, partisanship and just small minded nonsense being written at all levels of the game.

16 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

You seriously think Talbot didn't want matches played, honestly. I went back to Auchinleck earlier on in the season to watch them play Pollok and was hugely impressed with the improvements to the ground since I refereed there !. The pitch was fine btw. Huge amount of Talbot backlog is due to cup.

They are a quality club who are miles ahead as a team of any other in the league and were correctly awarded the league.

Most of the junior teams who have many matches played are playing on astro.

I follow Rob Roy and over the winter period nearly all the home games are off due Cumbernauld pitch being unplayable. Its the same for most junior teams playing on grass. 

There are no easy answers to any of this so why don't we just stop picking a scab and move on. No organisation can make a decision on this stuff without escaping abuse and their credibility being questioned. I'm actually sick of reading all the self interest, partisanship and just small minded nonsense being written at all levels of the game.

I'm not saying Talbot didn't want their games on. They had played 9 games less than Kilwinning.  You can't seriously think thats all down to the cup. Kilwinning play cup games too.

If you follow Rob Roy you should know that this is the same story with Talbot every year. They always lag far behind in games because their park is so bad. Its not just a one off.

The point is though, having games played has got to count for something. Average points is the most farcical and amateur thing I've ever heard of. Just look round Europe and the rest of the world and see how other leagues are finished. I bet you don't see any of that average points nonsense anywhere else. Which says it all really. 

On 4/23/2020 at 4:54 PM, LargsBud said:

Its quite fitting that this was the SJFA's last act as an organisation. Total shambles and sums them up.

I'm not 100% sold on the pyramid but one major bonus of it is getting rid of the SJFA.

I'm interested in your views on why the pyramid has issues, not having a go, just interested.

For me its a positive as I see increased investment in the top junior clubs already and the professionalism has stepped up hugely since the Ayrshire and Centel were merged. 

I think the pyramid will be a success with clubs like Clydebank, Kilwinning etc all going for it in a big way. The current South of Scotland and East of Scotland leagues have been a big success already and I think the West will be also.

Edited by lenziebud

Clydebank have a really good community club going on at Holm Park, over 250 players at all levels taking part.

Rob Roy hoping to do the same in Kirkintilloch and wider areas once they get new ground built (hopefully!).

All good for the game IMO.

Juniors football I found really enjoyable to watch and £6 to get in, well worth it. 

Hope the new league is a huge success.

5 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I'm interested in your views on why the pyramid has issues, not having a go, just interested.

For me its a positive as I see increased investment in the top junior clubs already and the professionalism has stepped up hugely since the Ayrshire and Centel were merged. 

I think the pyramid will be a success with clubs like Clydebank, Kilwinning etc all going for it in a big way. The current South of Scotland and East of Scotland leagues have been a big success already and I think the West will be also.

A lot of the Juniors in the premier league get bigger attendances than most league 1 teams. Its exciting being a big fish in a small pond fighting for the title every year and playing in the junior cup every year.

I worry that the novelty of the pyramid will wear off after a few years and the big junior clubs will just blend into the mediocrity of the Scottish lower leagues. As a Largs Thistle fan, I don't look at clubs like Montrose and Stenhousemuir and think "Oh I wish we could be like them".

I've followed Largs Thistle through the years and we are a club similar to St Mirren in the juniors. Kind of a yo-yo team between the premier league and first division with a very decent chance of a cup run every now and again. We obviously have zero chance to getting to the senior Scottish cup final or semis so we wave goodbye to any real cup runs.