Stevie Mallon

munoz

41 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Barnsley just sold Connor Hourihane to Aston Villa today , so might want to bring a couple in , bearing in mind they are currently raking in millions I think they might up their bid today

I was hoping they'd manage to hold on to him until the window was shut. Similar sort of player to Mallan I think and now they'll have money to spend. Suppose the good thing from our point of view is the McAllister sale means we can hold out for more and they can't plead poverty after selling a guy for a few million.

Fingers crossed if they do come back in we have enough time to use the money.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

I was hoping they'd manage to hold on to him until the window was shut. Similar sort of player to Mallan I think and now they'll have money to spend. Suppose the good thing from our point of view is the McAllister sale means we can hold out for more and they can't plead poverty after selling a guy for a few million.

Fingers crossed if they do come back in we have enough time to use the money.

I f we mange to keep Mallan , and use the McAllister money wisely , its some squad we have managed to assemble in a relatively short time , well done to all concerned for being brave and trying to make things happen

10 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I f we mange to keep Mallan , and use the McAllister money wisely , its some squad we have managed to assemble in a relatively short time , well done to all concerned for being brave and trying to make things happen

I think the Mcallister money has already been "wisely" spent at Ralston!

48 minutes ago, Svard svard said:

I think the Mcallister money has already been "wisely" spent at Ralston!

What a pile of tosh are you claiming that the board would rather spend money on infrastructure as opposed to the playing squad to survive this season. There has been 8 new arrivals so far maybe the board used abit of forsight to do so knowing the mcallister money was coming in. Given we have also heard quietly that mcginn is coming back on an 18 month deal 

3 hours ago, Clydebanksaint said:

What a pile of tosh are you claiming that the board would rather spend money on infrastructure as opposed to the playing squad to survive this season. There has been 8 new arrivals so far maybe the board used abit of forsight to do so knowing the mcallister money was coming in. Given we have also heard quietly that mcginn is coming back on an 18 month deal 

Not tosh we need 200k to fix the pitch that much we know so it ain't a claim it's a fact!

The money wasn't going to come from our 2 quid a month.

But by the looks of it Jack has been very savvy with his signings and releasing of players,looks to have done some good wheeling and dealings.

Probably too late now but should we have cashed in on the rumoured £150k bid for young Mr. Mallon this window? His current form is poorer than last seasons, by the summer he'll have six months less left on his contract and we'll possibly be in League 1.

As a semi-aside I note that Falkirk didn't play their £750k wunderkid yesterday, my point being that a players value is unlikely to go up while they're playing in this division - and that's me bring optimistic! B)

Edited by Bud the Baker

I can't imagine being subbed for a player just released by Wycombe, who then looked head and shoulders above everyone else helps his value. Stevie needs to play like he did last week to get his move. Today he looked very average.

Edited to add.

Not a slight on McGinn who looked great, just giving some perspective on what English clubs expect.

Edited by John Gotti

Average? He was absolutely rotten, shirked out of challenges the whole game, gave the ball away countless times and was totally ineffective. That's exactly as he has been this season generally.

The reason Mallan attracts more criticism than most in the team is because he has the most natural ability. If he applied himself the way he should he'd be a star at this level. Unless that changes he won't realise his potential.

Rumours the bid was £150k. Undoubtably take it.

Surprised it's taken this long for some of our fans to realise Mallan isn't very good, ball control and short range passing is absolutely terrible, will be lucky to get a game now that Cammy Smith and Steven McGinn are here.

Phone Barnsley and see if that offer is still on the table, sell sell sell.

2 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Surprised it's taken this long for some of our fans to realise Mallan isn't very good, ball control and short range passing is absolutely terrible, will be lucky to get a game now that Cammy Smith and Steven McGinn are here.

Phone Barnsley and see if that offer is still on the table, sell sell sell.

Agree to an extent, but young players are notoriously inconsistent (not that he'll be young for much longer)! :spud5Most of our best performances have been when he's played well, I suppose the quandary I am raising is whether we should've taken the £150k Barnsley offered and gone for someone else for the remainder of the season.

I stand firmly behind the opinion that rejecting Dundee's £60k bid at the start of the season was correct! :clapping

Edited by Bud the Baker

20 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Agree to an extent, but young players are notoriously inconsistent (not that he'll be young for much longer)! :spud5Most of our best performances have been when he's played well, I suppose the quandary I am raising is whether we should've took the £150k Barnsley offered and gone for someone else for the remainder of the season.

I stand firmly behind the opinion that rejecting Dundee's £60k bid at the start of the season was correct! :clapping

I think Mallan could be fantastic for us played alongside McGinn in midfield. This in turn would increase his value. I certainly don't think we should sell unless we need to, or unless a fantastic offer comes in.

If we're to stay up, selling our best players isn't the way to do it. McAllister should be the only one of our best players leaving this window. Mallan remains one of our best players.

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

I think Mallan could be fantastic for us played alongside McGinn in midfield. This in turn would increase his value. I certainly don't think we should sell unless we need to, or unless a fantastic offer comes in.

If we're to stay up, selling our best players isn't the way to do it. McAllister should be the only one of our best players leaving this window. Mallan remains one of our best players.

Totally agree , wee Stevie Mallan can learn loads from playing alongside Stephen McGinn , I think Storie and McGinn tried too hard to show how good they are instead of doing the simple things , we have a couple of league games and a couple of cupties coming up , we not only need to win these games , but also get the shape of the team sorted for the business end of the season

See Mallans went from getting pelters, to the saviour who we shouldn't sell on the cheap, back to getting pelters again. All within 7 days :lol:

Fickle or what?

I've made this point so many time and it's still the case. Mallan is far more effective in a 5 man midfield than a 4 man midfield. We seen that in Dundee last week when he gave a MOTM performance and was involved in both our goals. Two players playing behind him (Magennis and Storie in this case) allowed him to get forward and play his natural game. It shouldn't have surprised anyone that he had a less effective game yesterday when he went back to playing in a 4 man midfield.

Indeed before yesterday he had been involved in each of our last 4 goals. The kids numbers are unreal when it comes to goals and assists from midfield. This is why he's attracting 6 figure bids from down south.

Like McLean and McGinn before him though, he'll get stick while he's here and lamented when he leaves. Funny old game.

Form comes and goes. Talent remains.  In my opinion he is a very talented player, a creator and scorer of goals when he plays in a forward position so agree that he operates best in that role  in a 5 man midfield. His Internet sensation goal scored up at Dundee illustrated this perfectly. My case rests.

8 minutes ago, scabbydug37 said:

Let's face it, the boy's mindset must be all over the place. First it was Dundee, and fell away as a player at that time, secondly with Barnsley, the same thing. The boy himself will need to see how he can get better to move away

There's no doubt Mallan is desperate to move

His form has been patchy this season due to the unrest in the summer when a few clubs came in for him

It looked like he got his move away last week and he turned in his best performance of the season

Now that move has broke down and he was very poor yesterday

He will feel that we are holding him back and over pricing him given our past record selling for sweeties

I hope he returns to the form we saw last week and he will get his move for the right price

HE IS a far far better player than he has shown for the majority of this season

3 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

There's no doubt Mallan is desperate to move

His form has been patchy this season due to the unrest in the summer when a few clubs came in for him

It looked like he got his move away last week and he turned in his best performance of the season

Now that move has broke down and he was very poor yesterday

He will feel that we are holding him back and over pricing him given our past record selling for sweeties

I hope he returns to the form we saw last week and he will get his move for the right price

HE IS a far far better player than he has shown for the majority of this season

I told him at the POTY last year that he would have to keep practising what he is good at, then be the player to be seen in a mediocre squad. Instead it was McAllister that shone consistently.

Edited by scabbydug37
addition

I told him at the POTY last year that he would have to keep practising what he is good at, then be the player to be seen in a mediocre squad. Instead it was McAllister that shone consistently.

Shone consistently? McAllister had no goals and no assists in the league, despite starting regularly in an attacking role.

He's a young player with a lot of potential, and that's what derby have bought. To say he outshone Mallan this year just isn't the case though.

21 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Shone consistently? McAllister had no goals and no assists in the league, despite starting regularly in an attacking role.

He's a young player with a lot of potential, and that's what derby have bought. To say he outshone Mallan this year just isn't the case though.

Kind of agree. What McAllister's shown is the ability go past players pretty easily and receive the ball tight. That means that teams have to make sure that he's marked. His decision making is poor and he needs to work on that. Like a few of our young boys, he spends a little too much time showing of his technique and not enough playing football. Mallan is guilty of this two but he does have an end product. 

For  example Morgan yesterday did plenty of step overs and in the right situation it's a useful trick for disguising if your going left or right. But it slows you down, and when you've got the beating of your man as he does, then he should be taking the man on not letting the opposition regroup and get cover over. 

For what it's worth I think both Mallan, Morgan and McAllister are  big talents, Will they live up to their potentual? I hope so, all three could be Scotland internationals. 

Morgan doesn't do it for me at the moment , maybe he's been overplayed this season , but with the squad filling up he's due a spell on the sidelines . Mallan was poor yesterday , so much so that one of the fannies behind me shouted "f**k off to Barnsley Mallan " when he was in earshot ! Sadly , it seems that if he did leave , we wouldn't miss him that much !