East Fife Away

19 hours ago, Hendo said:

Seem to remember a trip to Methil in the cup in the mid 80's maybe, it was a freezing cold day and a goalless draw, won the replay though. I'd take a repeat.

Yip, I was their, 1 - 1 I'm sure and I think it was Jim Rooney who scored.

Edited by melmac

5 hours ago, HSS said:

I was at that game too and also remember the bother in the ground. This was my last Scottish Cup run before leaving to Jersey. Think we beat Falkirk in the next round after a replay which I couldn't make it to for some reason, but I remember going to the quarter final at Tynecastle the week before I left. We got tanked 4-1 but I'm sure Campbell Money either got sent off or carried off early doors and it was the days before sub goalies.

i left Paisley the following Saturday and the next Scottish Cup tie I attended was a little game in May 1987.

9 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

East Fife missed a sitter near the end of that 1986 game that would have knocked us out.

There was also a bit of boxing in the crowd, helped by there being no segregation. I remember seeing one guy with a bit of wood 'concealed' inside a rolled up newspaper.:lol:

Remember at the turnstyles waiting to go in and the LSD at that time all just piled through the turnstyles without paying.

I'd think the cops will want to make this all ticket. We have taken ridiculous away supports to cup ties in the past. Miles above our "normal" average.

I've seen us take over 1500 to Hibs and we took over 2000 down to Ayr not long ago.

I'd say 1000 travelling fans to East Fife isn't out of the question.

On 1/22/2017 at 11:10 PM, Hendo said:

Seem to remember a trip to Methil in the cup in the mid 80's maybe, it was a freezing cold day and a goalless draw, won the replay though. I'd take a repeat.

I just posted this to FB, " Had to check wiki for the year (turns out it was '86) but the rest is from my memory of when we last payed East Fife in the cup. Think it was Jim Rooney that scored a last minute equaliser at Methil, then Stevie Clarke scored one of the best goals I remember seeing at Love Street in the replay in a 3-1 victory. "

14 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I was at that game too and also remember the bother in the ground. This was my last Scottish Cup run before leaving to Jersey. Think we beat Falkirk in the next round after a replay which I couldn't make it to for some reason, but I remember going to the quarter final at Tynecastle the week before I left. We got tanked 4-1 but I'm sure Campbell Money either got sent off or carried off early doors and it was the days before sub goalies.

i left Paisley the following Saturday and the next Scottish Cup tie I attended was a little game in May 1987.

Possibly because the Falkirk replay was the next night, the only time in my memory we have played 2 first team fixtures in 2 days (outwith friendlies)

15 minutes ago, HSS said:

The game I've linked holds a memory for me.We went to the Bayview Bar before and after the game and it was the 1st time I'd been in a pub with Karaoke.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1996&GameID=199612260

Funny how times change. 

In the 90s I'd have thought nothing special of that team after the teams of the 70s and 80s but now I'd chew your arm off for it. That was a really good line up

1 hour ago, thekazakhsaint said:

Possibly because the Falkirk replay was the next night, the only time in my memory we have played 2 first team fixtures in 2 days (outwith friendlies)

Used to be common over the new year period to play back to back games.

In the early part of the 20th century it happened several times when games would be played on the 1st and 2nd.

Most recent time that Saints have done it, is 1971 when they played Killie on Ne'erday  and then Morton on the 2nd.

1 hour ago, thekazakhsaint said:

I'd forgotten that until you just said it. Had also forgotten that the quarter final was the very next weekend.

As a skint 19 year old I was probably keeping my powder dry and hoping for a trip through to Edinburgh at the weekend. 

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Funny how times change. 

In the 90s I'd have thought nothing special of that team after the teams of the 70s and 80s but now I'd chew your arm off for it. That was a really good line up

I think the bench of Smith, McLaren, McGuire shows our problem back then was having no strength in depth at all.