Gangs

Paisley brazilians

After watching peaky blinder (its about a street gang in 1920s) I had a discussion with my son about gang culture in paisley in the 80s and 90s when I was growing up as every housing scheme had a gang or gangs they all had a name. but as he informed me there are no such gangs or gang names in circulation any more.which is a good thing as most places were a no go zone back then.is it safe to say the streets of paisley are safer and 1980s films (wanderers and the warriors ) glorifying gangs are a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The Disciples from Feegie, the Cumbie from Foxbar, the Elderslie Derry, The young Gallowhill team & Glenburns GBT who of course are known as LGBT these days :whistle

I liked this post - but what I really liked was who liked it before me...

Paisley Brazilians...  :)

My mum likes to remind of a time when we were sat on the bus travelling back from Paisley to Inchinnan when I was a wee bairn. Seemingly, we were on one of the bench seats at the back of the old style red buses - one of two that faced one another.

I apparently turned to my mum and pointed out quite loudly that the man sitting across from us looked "like a pig", whereupon my mum was stricken with horror as she knew this character to be a leading member of the infamous Renfrew gang, the REMO!:o

I always thought they were from Queens in New York and would have been too busy singing about wanting to be sedated to bother with fighting.

Edited by Drew

On the subject of gangs. True story, copy/pasted from the 'Saints exhibition at the museum' thread that I posted this story in originally.

Back in the late 70s / early 80s I still travelled to every away game on a supporters bus. We always stopped in Auchterarder for chips on the way to games up North. One time we pulled into the car park in Auchterarder and there were a couple of Dundee United supporters buses there too. Me and my mate Michael saw the queue at the chippy was the length of Paisley High Street, so we bypassed that and instead bought mince pies in tin trays from a nearby bakery. I ripped open the tin tray and bit hungrily into the pie, unfortunately sending one edge of the tin tray straight into my bottom lip, really deeply. Blood was dripping down my face, chin, onto my St Mirren scarf. The bleeding wouldn't stop. We chucked the pies away and headed back to the bus in a hurry to try and get a hankie or something from a fellow fan to stem the flow. On reaching the bus, a 'situation' had started between a large group of Dundee United 'shimmy' gang members in the car park taunting the Saints fans on the bus. We approached the scene with me covered in blood and some guys on the bus tried to get off, thinking I'd been skelped in the face by the Dundee shimmy. The situation was diffused by my mate Michael shouting towards the Saints fans 'It wasn't them! It was a pie tray!'.... Cue both Dundee United and Saints fans giving me pelters.

Embarrassment levels through the roof!

Guest TPAFKATS
The Disciples from Feegie, the Cumbie from Foxbar, the Elderslie Derry, The young Gallowhill team & Glenburns GBT who of course are known as LGBT these days :whistle

How did the (L)GBT get on with the Foxbar BED?

23 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Seedhill Young Squad is all I recall from out that way

In years gone by , I thought that Seedhill had some interesting graffiti. I remember seeing "Al Jolson " on a couple of walls and I also saw " independence" on a wall and I think that is the only other place I saw that word painted on a wall apart from the more obvious one near the Rest and be Thankful. .

I remember that I was in a quite fortunate position (depending on how you look at it) that I seemed to know a few members of each of the Paisley gangs in the 80s, so almost always managed to avoid any grief. Think it was a combo of living in the East End, supporting the Buds and having mates in Ralston that helped. The Seedhill Young Squad, Ganja Derry, YPen (Penilee), REMO and GYTO are the ones that spring to mind. Not forgetting the short lived Craigton Knife Club. A collection of racist, skinhead arseholes that seemed to patrol the Glasgow Rd. Thankfully, most of them have since OD'd on smack....

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

I remember that I was in a quite fortunate position (depending on how you look at it) that I seemed to know a few members of each of the Paisley gangs in the 80s, so almost always managed to avoid any grief. Think it was a combo of living in the East End, supporting the Buds and having mates in Ralston that helped. The Seedhill Young Squad, Ganja Derry, YPen (Penilee), REMO and GYTO are the ones that spring to mind. Not forgetting the short lived Craigton Knife Club. A collection of racist, skinhead arseholes that seemed to patrol the Glasgow Rd. Thankfully, most of them have since OD'd on smack....

I could easily OD on your malteser slice. :)

Young Charleston and the Tiny Charleston were the boys. Grafitti all over the place as I made my daily walk to South Primary school. They must have done their artwork in the dark. Never actually saw any of them in action though. Whilst their exploits were legendary, The only evidence of their existence was the poor spelling of their tag.

Young Charlston Tiny charlieston,   They should just have stuck to CYT.

The Young Suicide down the Blackford Road end and the Hunterhill Team up the hill.

I even remember Hawkhead Estate trying to have its own young team, the Hawkhead Loyalists. I've never met anyone who claimed to be in it. [emoji4]

Hawkhead Loyalists !!!! Don't think so.

As a resident all through my childhood the best we came up with was HYTo. One of our "gang" daubed it all over Sacred Heart school wall in huge letters.

Happy Days.

I was leaving my mates house in Ardgowan Brae around 1976 when i was pulled up by 4 guys from the Hunterhill team.On hearing that i was from Glenburn i was informed by the leader of what was going to happen to me.My father always told me to hit the one who was mouthing off and the rest would be so shocked i would be able to make my getaway.His words rang in my head and i duly lamped the interrogator.Outcome was that i was leathered by the other 3.After i had uncurled myself from the ball i had rolled into i thought,some fatherly advise that was.When i got home and told him what happened he nearly wet himself laughing.I did gain some respect from the Hungryhill Team after that though as most of them were Saints fans.(unfortunately none of them were there on the night in question).

34 minutes ago, northendsaint said:

I was leaving my mates house in Ardgowan Brae around 1976 when i was pulled up by 4 guys from the Hunterhill team.On hearing that i was from Glenburn i was informed by the leader of what was going to happen to me.My father always told me to hit the one who was mouthing off and the rest would be so shocked i would be able to make my getaway.His words rang in my head and i duly lamped the interrogator.Outcome was that i was leathered by the other 3.After i had uncurled myself from the ball i had rolled into i thought,some fatherly advise that was.When i got home and told him what happened he nearly wet himself laughing.I did gain some respect from the Hungryhill Team after that though as most of them were Saints fans.(unfortunately none of them were there on the night in question).

I followed a slightly different, but none the less piss poor bit of advice when I was set upon by three or four charming young men just by the shops on Rowan Street after walking home a lassie one night.

most of my brothers gave me similar advice, but the one in question said "if you get pulled up around Hunterhill, tell them who your brother is" this I did, unfortunately the chaps in question were a knife-toting recce party from Charleston who chased me all the way through charleston, lochfield park and half way up Neilston Road. 

Found out years later the lassie who i nearly died walking home, decided to bat for the other side! I like to think in an West Side story kinda way she decided if she couldnt have me, she wanted no other man.

Guest TPAFKATS
That sounds like a "Special" on a night out in Moscow with D Trump. I hope there was glass in the coffee table.

Ffs, that's put me right off my 3 pm coffee and chocolate [emoji40]