Gangs

Paisley brazilians

I lived in Glenburn until 1970 and I don't remember a gang as such. But by the early 70's working in Glasgow the likes of the Maryhill Fleet and The Tongs (Ya Bass) were well known. Fleet Ya Bass and Tongs Ya Bass were daubed on walls over the city. On Queen Margaret Drive there was even BBC Ya Bass on walls and my favourite of all time,Tufty Club Ya Bass on Hope Street.

The Charleston Mob was the first I came across but because a few guys from Glenburn were part of them and a few guys who were at Camphill with me, I never had any problem with them. A female cousin of mine knocked around with a real hard wee shit from the Charleston Mob. Ann refused to drink in The Charleston so her beau would come in the Tannahill where I drank at times and I got on OK with him, but didn't like him. My uncle didn't approve of him so the romance was doomed. That bloke ( I can't remember his name) died very young and at least another two who were at Camphill also died very young. Drink had a lot to do with it and I suppose drugs too.

And does anyone remember a short lived phenomenon called The Little People? Was anyone a member? They were a younger mob largely made up of a young crowd from Ferguslie. The average age was probably about 15 but they surged around in packs of about sixty or seventy and it was quite frightening. They positively seethed violence. The Polis didn't seem to know how to handle them. They sometimes ran like hell in a big group and it was better to stay out the road. Don't recall exactly how much hurt or damage they caused but thankfully they were short lived.

I blame Leonard Bernstein for it all.

13 hours ago, RickMcD said:

I lived in Glenburn until 1970 and I don't remember a gang as such. But by the early 70's working in Glasgow the likes of the Maryhill Fleet and The Tongs (Ya Bass) were well known. Fleet Ya Bass and Tongs Ya Bass were daubed on walls over the city. On Queen Margaret Drive there was even BBC Ya Bass on walls and my favourite of all time,Tufty Club Ya Bass on Hope Street.

The Charleston Mob was the first I came across but because a few guys from Glenburn were part of them and a few guys who were at Camphill with me, I never had any problem with them. A female cousin of mine knocked around with a real hard wee shit from the Charleston Mob. Ann refused to drink in The Charleston so her beau would come in the Tannahill where I drank at times and I got on OK with him, but didn't like him. My uncle didn't approve of him so the romance was doomed. That bloke ( I can't remember his name) died very young and at least another two who were at Camphill also died very young. Drink had a lot to do with it and I suppose drugs too.

And does anyone remember a short lived phenomenon called The Little People? Was anyone a member? They were a younger mob largely made up of a young crowd from Ferguslie. The average age was probably about 15 but they surged around in packs of about sixty or seventy and it was quite frightening. They positively seethed violence. The Polis didn't seem to know how to handle them. They sometimes ran like hell in a big group and it was better to stay out the road. Don't recall exactly how much hurt or damage they caused but thankfully they were short lived.

I blame Leonard Bernstein for it all.

The little people (named after an Irish term for leprechauns) were mainly Celtic supporting guys from all over Paisley, i knew of them first when i was 18 and this was because a guy i worked with who was about 40 at the time was part of that crowd when he was younger as  was one of my cousins and they were most active in the mid sixties going by what he told me, the little people you speak of were probably copying the name.

There certainly was a gang in Glenburn from mid sixties to mid seventies, the GBT with the usual young and tiny versions. I could name most of them,having been involved with them for a few years.

15 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

The little people (named after an Irish term for leprechauns) were mainly Celtic supporting guys from all over Paisley, i knew of them first when i was 18 and this was because a guy i worked with who was about 40 at the time was part of that crowd when he was younger as  was one of my cousins and they were most active in the mid sixties going by what he told me, the little people you speak of were probably copying the name.

There certainly was a gang in Glenburn from mid sixties to mid seventies, the GBT with the usual young and tiny versions. I could name most of them,having been involved with them for a few years.

A good few of them from our schooldays I would say Peter. My Dad belted one of them outside our old house in Glenfield Road, a guy with ginger hair in my class at school.....

He was damaging cars outside the house, thought it was funny. His surname that could be the same as a recently transferred youngster from Saints....or not.

Nice Policeman actually said..." So his jaw attacked your fist ??"  GBT were ok with me ,I knew a few but probably because I used to help out at the Stables at the bottom of Glenfield

Road, owned by Sgt.Bobby Watt, I was generally left alone. Old school Cop, they were well feart of him. Good call, hard as nails, moved to Glenburn from Greenock.

I liked him a lot.

9 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

A good few of them from our schooldays I would say Peter. My Dad belted one of them outside our old house in Glenfield Road, a guy with ginger hair in my class at school.....

He was damaging cars outside the house, thought it was funny. His surname that could be the same as a recently transferred youngster from Saints....or not.

Nice Policeman actually said..." So his jaw attacked your fist ??"  GBT were ok with me ,I knew a few but probably because I used to help out at the Stables at the bottom of Glenfield

Road, owned by Sgt.Bobby Watt, I was generally left alone. Old school Cop, they were well feart of him. Good call, hard as nails, moved to Glenburn from Greenock.

I liked him a lot.

I must have had my head in the clouds back then. I knew there were a load of wee nyaffs around but never thought it was a gang as such. Good on your old man and good on the Nice Policeman. Suppose someone on here will reprimand me for saying that.

Years ago over here I was talking to a couple of RUC detectives in a Belfast pub and one of them had first joined the Polis in Greenock. When I told him I was from Paisley he went on to ask me if I knew Ferguslie Park. Apparently when there was action in Feegie on a Saturday night, some reinforcements occasionally got sent up from Greenock. This cop told me he enjoyed some of the most frightening nights of his life down there. The other cop told him not to be so stupid and asked him if Feegie was worse than Andytown, Short Strand or the Bogside and the answer was that they were all a dawdle compared to Feegie.

1 hour ago, RickMcD said:

I must have had my head in the clouds back then. I knew there were a load of wee nyaffs around but never thought it was a gang as such. Good on your old man and good on the Nice Policeman. Suppose someone on here will reprimand me for saying that.

Years ago over here I was talking to a couple of RUC detectives in a Belfast pub and one of them had first joined the Polis in Greenock. When I told him I was from Paisley he went on to ask me if I knew Ferguslie Park. Apparently when there was action in Feegie on a Saturday night, some reinforcements occasionally got sent up from Greenock. This cop told me he enjoyed some of the most frightening nights of his life down there. The other cop told him not to be so stupid and asked him if Feegie was worse than Andytown, Short Strand or the Bogside and the answer was that they were all a dawdle compared to Feegie.

It is a fact that at the height of the Irish troubles the RUC dealt with far LESS Murders than the cops in an around Glasgow, Glasgow was one of the top ten most violent cities in the world, The second most Violent in Western Europe and top of the UK Charts. So all you guys should think yourself lucky to be alive. Thank goodness they all found drugs and stopped getting mad with drink and stabbing each other. Not sure where we are in the overdose charts. :double

20 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

I liked him a lot.

I know who you mean Gerry, a particularly sneaky skinny wee runt.

Have the Mujahideen been mentioned ? I think they were from Hunterhill . I seem to vaguely remember a game at love st in the 80's when they started chanting Mujah . 

Don't think they were an official branch of the real Mujahideen.

15 hours ago, buddiecat said:

I know who you mean Gerry, a particularly sneaky skinny wee runt.

Aye, you've sussed him Peter. Him and the younger brother of that other well known Glenburn gangster, surname was the same as a former Saints player who was at St Mirins in my class...Cryptic clue no.2 .Have you got the gangster and the player?? . A right pair of arseholes those two wannabee gangsters.

By the time I was at School in the 80s / 90s, most of the gang culture had died down (I think) a bit. I still firmly remember walking down at the old railway track (now cycle track) in Bridge of Weir, seeing graffiti noting 'Briggy Young Team', and thinking in my 7 or 8 year old mind that 'Briggy Young' must have been a person who was 'the leader of a gang'... :)

20 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Aye, you've sussed him Peter. Him and the younger brother of that other well known Glenburn gangster, surname was the same as a former Saints player who was at St Mirins in my class...Cryptic clue no.2 .Have you got the gangster and the player?? . A right pair of arseholes those two wannabee gangsters.

A couple to choose from Gerry, but would a leopard be close ?

5 hours ago, buddiecat said:

A couple to choose from Gerry, but would a leopard be close ?

Bang on again Peter, said big brother lived in next building to me in Incle Street, met him a few times and always spoke to me usually asking after my older brother who was at school with him. He was arrested one night at the flat and it was a right rammy, loads of Police....Very serious offence.Think it finished not proven.

His wee brother really was an odious runt who played on big brothers notoriety. One night at the Chippy in Glenburn he was standing at the door, blocking it and my mate,who had no idea about these folk, pushed the door flattening him against the wall......big bro was outside with his mates :o He came accross, saw me, and burst out laughing at his wee brother and told him not to be such a knob...:lol: I actually knew a lot of the older ones through my brother. You will as well Peter. Big Joe M, with the fair hair,built like a tank....??

Hope to be down soon for a Match, need to have a catch up.

On 10/02/2017 at 0:04 AM, buddiecat said:

You realise you are going to have to leave smisa now you have admitted you had/have a life....

Late 70s was terrible often seen people getting glassed in pubs. Silver Thread remember one night a car being forced off the road into a lamp post. Then occupants dragged out and set upon One night the *** gang decided I was to get it. Police turned up i just said they were mates playing a joke with me. They left me alone forever after that. Frriers Hall was the worst battles I have seen. Not until I left Paisley did I realised it was extremely violent. One thing you learned which has proved worth while is how to be Street wise being aware of your surroundings. Proved to be useful on travels.