Bid accepted for Kyle McAllister?

Its obvious that you were instructed to put this out last night Div but what i fail to understand is why we could not wait till after Saturdays game before this was announced.The fans were buoyant after Saturday and this deflates them quicker than the dome.Its not the end of the world though and i,m sure that the signings you talk about will be top drawer.Some of the names being banded about to me are not.

My views on it, not Divs. It was in the Sun, something the club have no control over so last night was the right time to get divs statement released. Also monday is the only business day after saturday where the transfer window is open. Imagine how it (this statement) would go down on Monday after he's either signed for another club or played a blinder against Falkirk?

The baw's burst! When a young guy (and his agent) at 17/18 decide that he's not going to sign a new contract or extend his contract even by a year as a gesture/thank you for his development then there's not much that the club can do. And who's to say he's wrong? If he wasn't good enough, it'd be 'thanks and goodbye son' at the first opportunity.
The reality for fans is that there's no point in even getting half excited about a young talent because they'll be away at the first sign of interest from down south.      

No one player is bigger than the team.

It's disappointing we couldn't keep him till at least the end of the season but if the player wanted to move on then there's not much we can do and at least we have got a half decent amount of money for him and potential for a good chunk of future transfer fees.

Not sure how much money is required to fix up Ralston but hopefully some of the leftover McAllister money will allow us to keep Mallan until the summer even if we end up making less money for him than we would selling him in the January window.

Its critically important that we don't let this detract from the sense of momentum and optimism that has followed the cup result at the weekend.

Someone suggested that this deal and the circumstances surrounding it is nothing like the scenario with McLean. I agree with that. The sale of McLean on the last day of the window was the final blow that ultimately resulted in our relegation. It felt like that at the time, and so it transpired. As disappointing as it is to lose McAllister, and as good as he is, I don't think he would have such a major influence on our endeavours to stay up this season.

Fingers crossed that the players coming in over the next couple of days will soften the blow.

I agree with this Div. I was asking why some folk were angry, and suggested that it isn't simply related to this particular player, but more a perception that other clubs get top dollar for their promising kids, while we do not.
As I said earlier - I am not angry, or bothered. Not any more. I used to be bothered, but with Bosman, the appearance of agents, our place in the food chain slipping, and goodness knows what else when it comes to Scottish football, why bother? Dundee United lost Robertson, McKay-Steven, Armstrong & Ciftci... turned them to shite and they were relegated. They couldn't keep them. Only Celtic can dig their heels in... a bit. Then they lose Wanyama, Van Dijk and Forster to the lure of the EPL. A stepping stone to Eng-er-land, that's what they are.
I am resigned to us losing any good players we do have in jig time, one step foward and one step back. No chance of holding onto anyone. Depressing, but that's where we are. Ho fcuking hum.

^^^Pretty much this ^^^

Frustrating but this is the reality that we are, as all Scottish clubs are, inevitably selling clubs. Our trouble seems to be we are not very good at selling players by comparison with others.
If there was a league table on selling performance of your young talent we'd be in the relegation zone.
We need the cash, end of, but we seem to fold early in the bid game, every single time.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

We are wasting our time with this academy if all we can do is get a handful of games and then sell guys on for 200k.

The point of the academy is is to bring players through and sell them. This is what we've done.

The reaction here is incredible. McAllister has been good, but he's played 15 games and is unproven over a season.

We were bottom of the Scottish championship when he came into the team and we still are so it's not like he's dominated games and singlehandedly turned our season round.

The player clearly wants a move,has rejected a contract renewal and there be less chance in the summer of getting anywhere near whats on offer now with 6 months on his contract left at that point (expires jan 2018).
If what he is quoted saying is true when asked about interest in him, he doesnt seem like a very level headed lad. A more professional response would have been to say you want to just keep on playing football for the first team and help them out this current mess instead of talking about not jumping at who offers the most money.

I should say I was not asked to put anything out. I'm as gutted that Kyle is going as the next bud and think the price sucks.

When you scratch beneath the surface though, as usual there is more to it than first meets the eye.

The player always has the ultimate power, contract or no contract.

I'm still hoping another club comes in and gazumps Derby with a better financial offer that also allows the player to stay with us on loan to the end of the season.

Not an impossible scenario, Kyle is very highly sought after.

Just now, Edinbuddie said:

Did we not get £250k-£300k for Brian Hamilton from Hibs, and the same for Ian Cameron from Aberdeen?

It was reported that we paid £285k for Fraser Wishart from Motherwell and around £200k for Roddy Manley for Falkirk.

Yeah, but the arse has well and truly fallen out the Scottish game since then. Celtic aside, the entire product is crap. I wouldn't watch a Scottish league game that didn't feature St Mirren.

I know everyone keeps pulling out the 'if Hamilton can sell the McA...s for seven figures' but the fact is that was a massive anomaly, and Accies played a blinder. It's the Scottish transfer equivalent of Leicester winning the league. Nothing like that will ever happen again, but it won't stop the fans of every bottom-half Premiership club from wondering why their club didn't do that/isn't doing that.

Let's think positively. Given that it was felt that £8k from SMISA would help boost our transfer activity, imagine what £225k will do. Somehow, despite how gash we are, we are still only 12 points off 6th place with four games to come against Ayr and Dumbarton. Or, if we do go down, it's like having a parachute payment from the Championship. 

f**king moaning Saints fans (not you, Edinbuddie) :lol: 

1 minute ago, div said:

I should say I was not asked to put anything out. I'm as gutted that Kyle is going as the next bud and think the price sucks.

When you scratch beneath the surface though, as usual there is more to it than first meets the eye.

The player always has the ultimate power, contract or no contract.

I'm still hoping another club comes in and gazumps Derby with a better financial offer that also allows the player to stay with us on loan to the end of the season.

Not an impossible scenario, Kyle is very highly sought after.

Quite. I'm hoping that the teams rumoured to be sniffing about such as Watford, Sunderland and Stoke now see this as an opportunity to beat Derby to the punch and get their offers in.

Kyle hanging about until the end of the season would be great but to be honest, if the lad doesn't want to be here anymore, what can we really do to convince him to stay, even on loan?

28 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

^^^Pretty much this ^^^

Frustrating but this is the reality that we are, as all Scottish clubs are, inevitably selling clubs. Our trouble seems to be we are not very good at selling players by comparison with others.
If there was a league table on selling performance of your young talent we'd be in the relegation zone.
We need the cash, end of, but we seem to fold early in the bid game, every single time.

Who are the comparisons? In this case, who has got more money for a just turned 18 year old with 15 appearances for a club rooted at the bottom of the Scottish championship?

31 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

^^^Pretty much this ^^^

Who are the comparisons? In this case, who has got more money for a just turned 18 year old with 15 appearances for a club rooted at the bottom of the Scottish championship?

Great prospect but I think all the talk of holding firm for more money etc isn't worthwhile. He wants to go, we know if we go down it will be a fire sale so cashing in now seems about the best option to me.

More broadly I think he's too young to make that move, he's hardly tasted regular first team football and I think another year at our level will do him well. Many young players disappear into youth teams at bigger clubs and don't break through. O'Brien is a great example of someone who realises that. Man City is clearly on a different level but if Derby are promoted I doubt we will see him and he'll end up like Ryan Gauld in the youths/on loan for a few seasons.

I do find it strange that Falkirk seem to be talking £750k for there boy and we seem to value our players much less.

20 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

Only recent similiar example that I can think of is Ryan Fraser who went from Aberdeen to Bournemouth for £400K after just 22 appearances. Obviously Aberdeen were playing in the top division though.

Even Falkirk were in a better place when selling Arfield & Wallace. Clubs at the bottom are usually Alloa or Cowdenbeath types, which quite frankly is our comparison. I can't recall a side like that even mulling over a deal round 225 K let alone being part of it.

4 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I know everyone keeps pulling out the 'if Hamilton can sell the McA...s for seven figures' but the fact is that was a massive anomaly, and Accies played a blinder. It's the Scottish transfer equivalent of Leicester winning the league. Nothing like that will ever happen again, but it won't stop the fans of every bottom-half Premiership club from wondering why their club didn't do that/isn't doing that.

This is remarkably inaccurate!

Last season Hamilton got 1.1m for a full back Stephen Hendrie who few had heard of before (or have heard of since!), 1.13m for Tony Andreu, and to top it off fleeced us 35k for Dougie Imrie.

Dundee United; 3m for Robertson (a player essentially stolen from Queens Park a year before), 3m for Goodwillie, 2.3m for Gauld, 1.8m for Cifti, 750k from DERBY for Johnny Russell, 2m for Armstrong and MacKay Steven. 350k for selling Ryan McGowan to China. 170k for John Soutar. Overall 13m in transfers in the past few years.

Falkirk: 1.1m for McGrandles to Norwich, Will Vaulks 400k to Rotherham, Scott Arfield 400k to Huddersfield, Biabi 200k, Lyle Taylor 200k.

Hibs haven't sold for a while but when they had their golden generation of academy players come through they were going for between 2m and 5m.

Kilmarnock just sold Coulibaly for 1m after he came up from England and played half a season.  Josh Magennis, St Mirren reject, went for 250k!  Let that one sink in.

Hearts managed to sell Osman Sow for 1.5m!  Patrick Thistle got 300k for a centre back that played 6 games for them.

It is to our credit that we are producing talent like McLean, McGinn, Magennis, Mallan and McAllister but there is little doubt that we are not getting anything close to the market value for these players as we are seen as a small club that has to sell.

There are four or five clubs interested in this boy, tell Derby to ram it and sell him to the highest bidder.  If we don't get at the very least 400k then hold on to him.

4 minutes ago, TsuMirren said:

Even Falkirk were in a better place when selling Arfield & Wallace. Clubs at the bottom are usually Alloa or Cowdenbeath types, which quite frankly is our comparison. I can't recall a side like that even mulling over a deal round 225 K let alone being part of it.

Eh??  Your finances do not change on a weekly basis based on league position.  In size St Mirren are closer to Dundee United than Alloa and should market ourselves and our academy players accordingly.

beats me why any young player holding down a first team place would want to go somewhere else for more money to play for reserves....where is the ambition?

best option would of been to stay with saints till at least 21 then he could command an even better pay day whilst still being a youngster

there is no way he will be playing in their first team down south...

this shows a lack of ambition

and very badly advised

or maybe the club need the money

9 minutes ago, Kemp said:

This is remarkably inaccurate!

Last season Hamilton got 1.1m for a full back Stephen Hendrie who few had heard of before (or have heard of since!), 1.13m for Tony Andreu, and to top it off fleeced us 35k for Dougie Imrie.

Dundee United; 3m for Robertson (a player essentially stolen from Queens Park a year before), 3m for Goodwillie, 2.3m for Gauld, 1.8m for Cifti, 750k from DERBY for Johnny Russell, 2m for Armstrong and MacKay Steven. 350k for selling Ryan McGowan to China. 170k for John Soutar. Overall 13m in transfers in the past few years.

Falkirk: 1.1m for McGrandles to Norwich, Will Vaulks 400k to Rotherham, Scott Arfield 400k to Huddersfield, Biabi 200k, Lyle Taylor 200k.

Hibs haven't sold for a while but when they had their golden generation of academy players come through they were going for between 2m and 5m.

Kilmarnock just sold Coulibaly for 1m after he came up from England and played half a season.  Josh Magennis, St Mirren reject, went for 250k!  Let that one sink in.

Hearts managed to sell Osman Sow for 1.5m!  Patrick Thistle got 300k for a centre back that played 6 games for them.

It is to our credit that we are producing talent like McLean, McGinn, Magennis, Mallan and McAllister but there is little doubt that we are not getting anything close to the market value for these players as we are seen as a small club that has to sell.

There are four or five clubs interested in this boy, tell Derby to ram it and sell him to the highest bidder.  If we don't get at the very least 400k then hold on to him.

Telt.

10 minutes ago, Eaglesham saint said:

If his contract is up then £200 is good

f**k Bosman 

Contract expires in summer 2018, apparently (though there is some dubiety surrounding this one).

ETA - correction: January 2018, apparently.

To be brutally honest, we are probably as well selling him now, as the chances of getting more - or even the same - money if we have been relegated is negligible.

Edited by Drew