Stephen McGinn

Sonny

14 hours ago, Drew said:

Delighted with this news.

Without Stephen McGinn, I genuinely wonder if we would be where we are today. His leadership, drive, enthusiasm, and commitment have been huge factors in the turnaround in our fortunes.

Totally agree with this summary of Stephen's influence on the team. Has inspired the younger players and is well on his way to becoming a Saints legend. What am I saying? He IS a Saints legend!

COYS!!

16 hours ago, Drew said:

Delighted with this news.

Without Stephen McGinn, I genuinely wonder if we would be where we are today. His leadership, drive, enthusiasm, and commitment have been huge factors in the turnaround in our fortunes.

All those attributes plus his consistency over the season are why I voted for Stephen as POTY. 

Absolutely delighted he has re-signed

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but saw some people suggest we are struggling with a lack of leadership at the moment. I think the biggest thing OK needs to address is this, and pivotal to it is getting McGinn back to being the leader he has been the last two seasons. I just think his body language maybe indicates he's under pressure, and we need to get the player back who would snarl and not accept anything less than 100% from his teammates.

He has probably been the main reason, outside JR, that we are in the SPL so we need that player, and captain, back.

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but saw some people suggest we are struggling with a lack of leadership at the moment. I think the biggest thing OK needs to address is this, and pivotal to it is getting McGinn back to being the leader he has been the last two seasons. I just think his body language maybe indicates he's under pressure, and we need to get the player back who would snarl and not accept anything less than 100% from his teammates.

He has probably been the main reason, outside JR, that we are in the SPL so we need that player, and captain, back.

Lack of leadership and our midfield is powder puff. Flynn Edwards and I hate saying it Mcginn are out of their depth at this level. Only young McPherson put a shift and is probably on half the money than the other 3. Jackson was really the only bright spot. Hamill never really got a chance as he was injured early in the game. But schoolboy mistakes every week is costing us points. Certain players need to shape up our move aside. But I think OK will already know that. Keep the faith. Coys.

4 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Lack of leadership and our midfield is powder puff. Flynn Edwards and I hate saying it Mcginn are out of their depth at this level. Only young McPherson put a shift and is probably on half the money than the other 3. Jackson was really the only bright spot. Hamill never really got a chance as he was injured early in the game. But schoolboy mistakes every week is costing us points. Certain players need to shape up our move aside. But I think OK will already know that. Keep the faith. Coys.

Don't buy the argument that they aren't good enough. Both McGinn and Flynn have good experience in England and were SPL players before moving down south. Edwards has played two or three years in the SPL. I think the problem is all the players are too similar in style. We really need a good experienced ball winner in midfield, but I think we'll probably need to wait for January to get that. In the meantime I'd be tempted to change the style, possibly go more direct.

Totally agree with some of your points but I still think McGinn can up his game. He needs to as our captain and midfield engine but he's well off the pace at the moment.

24 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Don’t agree that McGinn isn’t good enough, he is playing poorly at present and needs to up his game though.

Edwards runs about like a headless chicken, plenty of work rate but zero ability, Cammy Smith has ability and work rate so should be in the team before him everyday of the week.

15 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Don’t agree that McGinn isn’t good enough, he is playing poorly at present and needs to up his game though.

Edwards runs about like a headless chicken, plenty of work rate but zero ability, Cammy Smith has ability and work rate so should be in the team before him everyday of the week.

I also think that S McGinn is good enough and that he is capable of playing better than he has been recently.  Like some others,  I would like to see a true ball winner in the middle of the park.  I quite like Edwards but I also like Smith.  Despite his youth we are missing Kyle.  We also need to be more solid in front of Hodson who often seems to be left exposed.  

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Don't buy the argument that they aren't good enough. Both McGinn and Flynn have good experience in England and were SPL players before moving down south. Edwards has played two or three years in the SPL. I think the problem is all the players are too similar in style. We really need a good experienced ball winner in midfield, but I think we'll probably need to wait for January to get that. In the meantime I'd be tempted to change the style, possibly go more direct.

The only players i'd keep in our midfield are McPherson and Macgennis. The rest are not good enough. Problem is we can't ship them all out as we already have too many players.  January is huge for Kearney and will define our season. We need to shift as many out as possible. Kearney has a much better grasp of the type of player and standard we need as does Gus McPherson. The players Stubbs brought to the club is killing us, we need to stay as close to the pack as possible up til Jan and then Kearney and McPherson really have to get to work

4 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

The only players i'd keep in our midfield are McPherson and Macgennis. The rest are not good enough. Problem is we can't ship them all out as we already have too many players.  January is huge for Kearney and will define our season. We need to shift as many out as possible. Kearney has a much better grasp of the type of player and standard we need as does Gus McPherson. The players Stubbs brought to the club is killing us, we need to stay as close to the pack as possible up til Jan and then Kearney and McPherson really have to get to work

I agree with the bit about Stubbs signings, but McGinn and Flynn are good enough, just struggling just now in a poor team. JR gave McGinn a new two year contract and Flynn was signed with the SPL in mind. Nonsense to talk about them not being good enough.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

McGinn doesn't track back . . .he looked like he was limping on the sport scene highlights . .if so he should not be playing

if not . . He should not be playing

he needs a kick in the arse,he has been piss poor this season

he is quite simply not a good leader until he starts to lead by example

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I agree with the bit about Stubbs signings, but McGinn and Flynn are good enough, just struggling just now in a poor team. JR gave McGinn a new two year contract and Flynn was signed with the SPL in mind. Nonsense to talk about them not being good enough.

I don't think it's nonsense to suggest any of our players are not good enough as we've played 8 games, enough game time for people to form an opinion.