Stephen McGinn

Sonny

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Quite a few mentioned McGinn has been poor for most of the season yet it was all Stubbs fault. 

Another thread, another lack of contribution from you.

Never mind what other people have said in the past.

What do you personally think now?

Just now, oaksoft said:

Another thread, another lack of contribution from you.

Never mind what other people have said in the past.

What do you personally think now?

My lack of contribution? Oh you mean not regurgitating what others say? 

I can say in the games I've seen, 2 more than you, McGinn, along with most of our team, has been shite.

Thanks for your contribution, run along. 

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

My lack of contribution? Oh you mean not regurgitating what others say? 

Sigh! Clearly I am going to have to breastfeed you through this.

No. Offering a constructive and well thought out comment does not mean regurgitating what others say.

It means thinking things through and then presenting your case, preferably in an intelligent manner, witty if need be.

Calling someone "shite" barely passes as anything other than a primal grunt. It certainly doesn't qualify as intellectual discourse.

Glad to help.

You are very welcome.

Edited by oaksoft

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sigh! Clearly I am going to have to breastfeed you through this.

No. Offering a constructive and well thought out comment does not mean regurgitating what others say.

It means thinking things through and then presenting your case, preferably in an intelligent manner, witty if need be.

Calling someone "shite" barely passes as anything other than a primal grunt. It certainly doesn't qualify as intellectual discourse.

Glad to help.

You are very welcome.

I'm afraid you're in no position to "help" me in anything to do with football.

Run along, you might get one of them slaps you dread so much on the other thread. :lol:

McGinn is good enough. Everyone has to take responsibility and not just one man. We nearly drew with Hibs last week and our best move was a ball from McGinn to McPherson. I feel sorry for him as he has been asked to carry the whole of the midfield in every game. Time for others to take responsibility.

McGinn doesn't track back . . .he looked like he was limping on the sport scene highlights . .if so he should not be playing
if not . . He should not be playing
he needs a kick in the arse,he has been piss poor this season
he is quite simply not a good leader until he starts to lead by example
Guy said to me on Saturday at the game he thought McGinn was towing a caravan was hard to disagree. I'm a massive McGinn fan but this season so far he's been poor.

4 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:
8 hours ago, saintargyll said:
McGinn doesn't track back . . .he looked like he was limping on the sport scene highlights . .if so he should not be playing
if not . . He should not be playing
he needs a kick in the arse,he has been piss poor this season
he is quite simply not a good leader until he starts to lead by example

Guy said to me on Saturday at the game he thought McGinn was towing a caravan was hard to disagree. I'm a massive McGinn fan but this season so far he's been poor.

This, but on a number of occasions on Saturday he was like a mannequin as their midfield just ran past him!

I noticed at Hamilton game that he appeared to be carrying an injury. Following this match it came out that he did have an injury which would keep him out of the team. 

Lo and behold, he made the squad for the Hibs game but played similarly to how he did at Hamilton. Same again on Saturday. 

Is he good enough? Undoubtedly, yes. 

Should he play through whatever injury he's carrying? No chance. I get that he'd run through brick walls for SMFC but he's doing himself or the team no favours by operating at a percentage of his ability every week. 

He should be taking however many weeks  required to get himself back to full fitness. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

It definitely looks like the international break has come at a good time for McGinn and the team in general. 

I wish there was a break from now until January , we are both brutal and soul destroying to watch. We desperately need battling midfielders who'll give the back line some protection , right now teams are waltzing through our midfield untouched. If this means no McGinn in the team then so be it , the teams league status means more than accommodating players who aren't performing , no matter how they played in a weaker league last season  !

11 hours ago, lenziebud said:

The only players i'd keep in our midfield are McPherson and Macgennis. The rest are not good enough. Problem is we can't ship them all out as we already have too many players.  January is huge for Kearney and will define our season. We need to shift as many out as possible. Kearney has a much better grasp of the type of player and standard we need as does Gus McPherson. The players Stubbs brought to the club is killing us, we need to stay as close to the pack as possible up til Jan and then Kearney and McPherson really have to get to work

Who? Hodson and Edwards....?

there the only ones getting a game just now.  If you want to see players up their game, take responsibility and be positive then we as a support and club need to drop continually whinging about Alan Stubbs..! The board picked him and f**ked up, its their bad. To keep stating over and over that its "his players that are killing us" is simply giving everyone else a ready made excuse for their poor performances!

Smith spat the dummy out about being shifted and dropped. Since then, played back where he favours, he's been poor! S McGinn went to the media to tell them our lack of performances and  results was based on how little first team football Stubbs recruits had played... since the newbies have been dropped he has been poor also!

footballers whinge about anyone, and everyone except themselves, our lot need to know that THEY have no hiding place now! They managed to get their last manager punted, so lets see them show us why that was the right move!

McGinn does not look fit , im not sure whether that is due to carrying an injury or some other reason we don’t know about but he does seem off the pace.
That said, our midfield In General has been suffering all season, Flynn is good in patches but lacks consistency, Magennis injury hasn’t helped and the lack of a settled midfield team is not doing us any favours. Also as many have stated , we still desperately lack that midfield enforcer .

Guest TPAFKATS

It may have been mentioned by others already but I think mcginn has been struggling for fitness recently.
A week off for international break has come at a good time.

When Magennis is back in, he and Flynn will make us a bit stronger, and definitely more mobile. early days i know, but its a strong possibility that Ross will come calling for him in January, especially if he keeps Sunderland in the play off/automatic promotion spots.

couldnt deny him that opportunity of a chance to move to a potential  English Championship side, but it would hurt us badly. He is the engine that drives us forward, without him McGinn toils under the added responsibility/workload.

Edited by Lord Pityme

the only time McGinn has made a difference this season was against Spartans. I just think its the way we set up. We have looked clueless with exception ogf Hibs and Tic game. We seems to be to cluttered in midfield.

I know Edwards has been getting stick and rightly so, but Kyle missing for us is massive and I think McGinn also misses his wing man

17 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

there the only ones getting a game just now.  If you want to see players up their game, take responsibility and be positive then we as a support and club need to drop continually whinging about Alan Stubbs..! The board picked him and f**ked up, its their bad. To keep stating over and over that its "his players that are killing us" is simply giving everyone else a ready made excuse for their poor performances!

Smith spat the dummy out about being shifted and dropped. Since then, played back where he favours, he's been poor! S McGinn went to the media to tell them our lack of performances and  results was based on how little first team football Stubbs recruits had played... since the newbies have been dropped he has been poor also!

footballers whinge about anyone, and everyone except themselves, our lot need to know that THEY have no hiding place now! They managed to get their last manager punted, so lets see them show us why that was the right move!

Eight out of Stubbs eleven signings were nowhere near the match day squad on Saturday. That seriously limits our options to change things, as Stubbs signed a raft of players not good enough. Agree we need to move forward and stop looking back, but it is a fact that Stubbs tenure has caused a lot of our problems this season. 

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Eight out of Stubbs eleven signings were nowhere near the match day squad on Saturday. That seriously limits our options to change things, as Stubbs signed a raft of players not good enough. Agree we need to move forward and stop looking back, but it is a fact that Stubbs tenure has caused a lot of our problems this season. 

Aye but including Edwards who never played for Stubbs, and Hodson who played once, we have added six experienced pro's to the squad. So i dont buy we have been stopped from changing things, the fact is most of last seasons players arent matching premiership standards. And this we actually knew last season anytime we played a premiership team! There is no surprise story here.

the frustration as you highlight is the amount of inexperienced players brought in early doors with the hope they would develop. But even saying that, here's a funny thing... arguably the game in which Stubbs got the best performance was against Killie in the league cup, at their place. Do you know how many of the players McGinn has criticised were playing that night..?

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hodson is the only one of Stubbs signings who is good enough.  

I personally don't rate Edwards either but other's do so its just opinions. 

Stubbs was a disaster for St Mirren from start to finish. 

12 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Yes Stubbs was a disaster however he only managed 4 league games, with one win......

Just now, whilst I back my Buddies 100% , I am still seething how we handed Stubbs the keys to the kingdom and let him destroy us...... that I firmly blame GLS.............. and appointing the guy they say really impressed them but came second to Stubbs makes our BOD and Chairman look ridiculous......

Surely if Oran is like Jack, why would you then appoint a polar opposite in Stubbs ?

Big questions for me, thankfully another 4 teams in this league are in a mess at present

Who in midfield has played better than McGinn this season and why is it that he is the main one being singled out for stick? Edwards runs about and does little. Flynn is a cross between The Quiet Man and The Invisible Man - a minute of nice play then vanishes for 20 minutes. And when he was captain we were 2-0 down to Spartans before a real captain appeared on the scene to rescue us. Willock has looked ok in flashes but only seems to have a first gear. Kirkpatrick isn't good enough IMHO. Coulson is weak and cannot tackle. We certainly miss Magennis and Smith is better than any of the others mentioned in midfield although playing off a striker is his better position. No wonder McGinn has the weight of the world on his shoulders as the rest (not Magennis and Smith) just go through the motions. McGinn is injured but still demands to play which is to his personal credit but not useful at the moment as we need him fully fit.

Guest TPAFKATS
Hodgson is a better option at left back than coulson but that's about as positive as I can be about him. McGinn a better option at right back and a fit eckersley better at left back.
In my opinion, obviously [emoji6]

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Hodgson is a better option at left back than coulson but that's about as positive as I can be about him. McGinn a better option at right back and a fit eckersley better at left back.
In my opinion, obviously emoji6.png

Yep I tend to agree on Eckersley too.

I dont' think Kearney would have signed Hodson either.

Of the Stubbs signings though he is the only one I can give pass marks to, just.

Edited by lenziebud