Dumbarton v St Mirren - 4th Feb 2017

Jocky

6 hours ago, saint in exile said:

So the old Board have no responsibility for our current plight?  It wasn't them who got rid of Lennon, appointed Craig, Teale, Murray and Rae?  It wasn't them who openly admitted they weren't going to invest in the Club? Must have imagined all that, then.

Also, I notice you also absolve the shower of sh*te who pull on the jerseys on a Saturday.  Whether or nor Ross is a good coach, ANY full time professional footballer should be able to pass, tackle and pick up the opposition players.

Gordon Scott has to take responsibility stop blaming The Old Board . I could say look at their record ! Not bad for a Club our size . IVE been rubbished about Alex RAE being sacked but Scott got rid of Rae at the wrong time . GS should not be making comments about players . He's undermining JR. AND BOTTOM LINE IS LETS GET BEHIND JACK GET INTO PLAY OFFS AND STAY UP !

20 hours ago, TopCat said:

The statements from the board repeatedly imply at all ills being inherited.

SMISA had a representative on the board which hired Ross.

What's going to happen here is the football club is going to be relegated to the third tier for the first time in our 140 year history. And when it is, the people who took this great club down to such a low level are going to blame it on someone else

And a good portion of the fan base will accept that. And the people who relegated us will get away with it.

Gordon Scott must take responsibility . He's got away with criticism on this site due to his connections . You don't appoint a Manager of a Club like ours and sit back . The Football side is nothing to do with him he's supposed to be sorting out the mess behind the scenes not making comments about players ! 

6 minutes ago, Loyal Supporter said:

Gordon Scott has to take responsibility stop blaming The Old Board . I could say look at their record ! Not bad for a Club our size . IVE been rubbished about Alex RAE being sacked but Scott got rid of Rae at the wrong time . GS should not be making comments about players . He's undermining JR. AND BOTTOM LINE IS LETS GET BEHIND JACK GET INTO PLAY OFFS AND STAY UP !

Most of the criticism of the old Board has come from the supporters and some sections of the media.  I haven't heard much on that score from Scott other than where he pointed out that the old Board kept quiet about some existing issues.  Still, your hatred of Scott might be clouding your viewpoint, but what would I know.

We all want the best for the team , but the continued negativity in looking back for people to blame for the current situation is not healthy. The chairman and Tony have given our manager fantastic backing in the transfer window with 10 changes. Jack has his team now let us all get behind him and the team in their quest to overhaul Ayr

COYS

Gordon Scott must take responsibility . He's got away with criticism on this site due to his connections . You don't appoint a Manager of a Club like ours and sit back . The Football side is nothing to do with him he's supposed to be sorting out the mess behind the scenes not making comments about players ! 

He said we needed a left back, which Jack Ross himself had already said.

I've also got no confidence that Alex Rae would have done any better if left in the job. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say I have f**k all confidence of that. It was like watching a NFL team go either 1 yard run or hail mary, we were absolutely bloody clueless.

We were hoping the new players would gel quickly, but that clearly didn't happen.   

Hard to judge them though in a game where the surface and wind made it hard for either team to play any football.

Two cup games coming up is a blessing though, as it means we've 3 weeks till our next league game and two competitive games in which to get them prepared.

It was also a blow that Loy and Mallan were missing yesterday.  Hopefully they'll be back too.

13 games to go and still 7 points away from a play off.

Not impossible, but the 4-1 I got from McBookie during the week for Saints to still be in the championship next season is looking far from generous!!!

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, mcdowell76 said:

Good call to put Clarkson up front.

He's a quality striker and has just been unlucky so far.

He nearly hit the post earlier in the season.

I can see this working out.

I was right.

Yet again.

Let's hope that Jack Ross sees some sense and restores Webster & Langfield to the starting XI in the next game as well.

And recalls Hutton...

On Saturday you didn't need to the best coach in the world to see why we are bottom and probably be relegated. we cannot defend. from the first game of the season till Saturday it's been the same. the way we lost the 2nd goal was schoolboy stuff. The pitch was awful. punters paying cash to watch a game were the ball didn't bounce is shocking. again same as last week lot of effort but nothing much else. great ball by McGinn for 2nd goal was the highlight of the day.

23 hours ago, TsuMirren said:

He said we needed a left back, which Jack Ross himself had already said.

I've also got no confidence that Alex Rae would have done any better if left in the job. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say I have f**k all confidence of that. It was like watching a NFL team go either 1 yard run or hail mary, we were absolutely bloody clueless.

Ok I'll have another go at trying to explain . My opinion of Alex Rae does not differ much from yours but when the new rules about transfer window came into force then it effects the impact a Manager can actually have . It's easy to look back and make comments I admit however RAE should have went at the end of last season . Now if JR. had been appointed say last May he's got time to take a breath and get players in who play his style and have the actual mentality he's looking for . So what happens ? RAE is allowed the close season to bring in players who HE wants then is sacked after 6 games . Now when Jack was appointed he's working with some players who are disapointed that the manager who signed them has left and In turn Jack may not trust 100 % that the majority of players are buying into what he's looking for . Result is Jack Ross is playing " catch up " and making signings during the window that possibly he would not have signed last close season .

Solution would have been to make an approach to another Manager to get ready to step in ( if you don't think that happens then good luck to you ) And sack Rae at end of December . Scott was sucked into doing 2 things wrong . First Sacked Rae at the wrong time to appease the fans who wanted Rae out and Second he appointed a Manager who he didn't want !!!

Girdon Scott is to blame for this mess of that there is no doubt . Jack Ross possibly was a bit naive taking the job at the time he took it and he will know that now For sure . However he's taken a huge gamble in his career and it still could work out if we stay up which is still possible . It's very obvious that Gordon Scott gets a lot of support on this site and I can't understand it other than I think that he has too many friends who run this site therefore denying real fans the voice that we deserve . Sorry but Gordon Scott must resign Asap as the whole Club stinks behind the scenes . As for his comments about no left back I still say he should not publicly make such comments and JR. Should not comment on for example : Stewarding or Season Ticket prices etc etc .

i do hope I've cleared up the fact that I was not a big fan of Alex Rae but no way would we have been in this situation if he'd still been in charge . I bet GS wishes he'd have kept him until the end of this season then sacked him .

Ok I'll have another go at trying to explain . My opinion of Alex Rae does not differ much from yours but when the new rules about transfer window came into force then it effects the impact a Manager can actually have . It's easy to look back and make comments I admit however RAE should have went at the end of last season . Now if JR. had been appointed say last May he's got time to take a breath and get players in who play his style and have the actual mentality he's looking for . So what happens ? RAE is allowed the close season to bring in players who HE wants then is sacked after 6 games . Now when Jack was appointed he's working with some players who are disapointed that the manager who signed them has left and In turn Jack may not trust 100 % that the majority of players are buying into what he's looking for . Result is Jack Ross is playing " catch up " and making signings during the window that possibly he would not have signed last close season .
Solution would have been to make an approach to another Manager to get ready to step in ( if you don't think that happens then good luck to you ) And sack Rae at end of December . Scott was sucked into doing 2 things wrong . First Sacked Rae at the wrong time to appease the fans who wanted Rae out and Second he appointed a Manager who he didn't want !!!
Girdon Scott is to blame for this mess of that there is no doubt . Jack Ross possibly was a bit naive taking the job at the time he took it and he will know that now For sure . However he's taken a huge gamble in his career and it still could work out if we stay up which is still possible . It's very obvious that Gordon Scott gets a lot of support on this site and I can't understand it other than I think that he has too many friends who run this site therefore denying real fans the voice that we deserve . Sorry but Gordon Scott must resign Asap as the whole Club stinks behind the scenes . As for his comments about no left back I still say he should not publicly make such comments and JR. Should not comment on for example : Stewarding or Season Ticket prices etc etc .
i do hope I've cleared up the fact that I was not a big fan of Alex Rae but no way would we have been in this situation if he'd still been in charge . I bet GS wishes he'd have kept him until the end of this season then sacked him .

I don't think that you can blame Gordon for much behind the scenes. That's not me being anything to him or worrying about how I might interact with him, it's just my view. Ralston and the USH isn't his fault, issues with the car park wouldn't really appear to have been either. Aside from that I'm not aware of staff having issues or even anything that's fallen apart since July. The management and players aren't behind the scenes. Some things may appear slow, but we don't exactly have support staff hanging out the windows.

2 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

I'm just checking, your asking for GLS to resign and let others run the club that he has invested money in?

So who do you propose to run it, SMISA or yourself?

Ahh , so you think because he bought the Club he's not responsible to Shareholders , Supporters or people who pay their monthly fee like I do ? He got " THE TIMING OF THE SACKING OF ALEX RAE " wrong and he has caused this mess . Yes I think he must do the correct thing and stand down from The Board . I note you say " he has invested money in " I'm sure even he will admit he didn't invest in The Club .

On 5 February 2017 at 8:20 PM, saint in exile said:

Most of the criticism of the old Board has come from the supporters and some sections of the media.  I haven't heard much on that score from Scott other than where he pointed out that the old Board kept quiet about some existing issues.  Still, your hatred of Scott might be clouding your viewpoint, but what would I know.

Your wrong saying I hate Gordon Scott . I did see him at The AGM and thought he came across poorly and supporters see him as some kind of saviour of The Club ! Very wrong . Too many Board Members or friends of Board Members on this site . However I'm not saying your 1 of them ok

1 hour ago, Loyal Supporter said:

Ahh , so you think because he bought the Club he's not responsible to Shareholders , Supporters or people who pay their monthly fee like I do ? He got " THE TIMING OF THE SACKING OF ALEX RAE " wrong and he has caused this mess . Yes I think he must do the correct thing and stand down from The Board . I note you say " he has invested money in " I'm sure even he will admit he didn't invest in The Club .

Of course he got the time of Rae's sacking wrong......he waited far too long to get rid of the Hun obsessed dud.

11 hours ago, scottd said:

Of course he got the time of Rae's sacking wrong......he waited far too long to get rid of the Hun obsessed dud.

No need for that crap

Rae assembled a clusterf**k of a squad though we gleaned 3 points we were outplayed in every game

In my opinion we would be in the same position as we are now if he was in charge

GLS was very naive though and reading between the lines he was under the impression that Davies would take the job if it came available

Yes Ross was 3rd choice as Hughes was also sounded out

Rae supporters make out he didn't have his strongest team available there's a reason for this

They are always injured,yes we are a better team when they play but they rarely play especially at the same time

It is at this moment in time it looks Ross is a poor choice and needs a strong end of the season to save his job

15 hours ago, Loyal Supporter said:

FFS- This is hilarious, Mangers last about 4-5 months, now you want Chairmans out after 8 months. Get a grip.................  What do you need to turnaround anything that's going downhill- Money?

The club has had no foundation since the last BOD went penny pinching.......... hence a huge slide.............

I don't agree with everything GS has done, however its clear he has a plan, and for me its players mindset that have got us here.......................

IF Rae was kept on as manager and we were in the same position under his management as we currently are at this stage of the season, GS and the board would have been absolutely slaughtered in hindsight for not acting upon changing the manager earlier in the season. The board clearly did not see Rae as the man to take the club forward as he was (in my opinion) a lazy cheap appointment by the previous board. It may have only been 6 games in, though the football and morale was absolutely dreadful.

The timing of JR was seen (again, in my opinion) as a period of working with the current deflated squad and having time to build in the January window for the mistakes that Rae had made previously with signings. It has clearly been a slow process to get the team moving in the right direction , though I feel the team assembled from the week of the Dumbarton game is the team that will see out the season and hopefully from here on our season starts. 13 games, 2 of them against Ayr. KTF

56 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

IF Rae was kept on as manager and we were in the same position under his management as we currently are at this stage of the season, GS and the board would have been absolutely slaughtered in hindsight for not acting upon changing the manager earlier in the season. The board clearly did not see Rae as the man to take the club forward as he was (in my opinion) a lazy cheap appointment by the previous board. It may have only been 6 games in, though the football and morale was absolutely dreadful.

The timing of JR was seen (again, in my opinion) as a period of working with the current deflated squad and having time to build in the January window for the mistakes that Rae had made previously with signings. It has clearly been a slow process to get the team moving in the right direction , though I feel the team assembled from the week of the Dumbarton game is the team that will see out the season and hopefully from here on our season starts. 13 games, 2 of them against Ayr. KTF

I was agin sacking Rae after six league games but would have been looking for an improvement before the January window - the two managers previous to Rae both made it until early December and I don't think anybody (including AR/DF themselves) would have expected to last beyond that if we were still bottom.

GS was naïve sacking Rae then not getting either his first (Davies) or second (Hughes) picks, the shortlist we were left with was utterly appalling.

Neither of my first two choices Dumbarton boss Steve Aitken or Jimmy Calderwood (in that order) were on the list.

Presently we are looking at 9th positon and the play-offs as the best we can achieve and I won't be conceding anything until after the Ayr game but like I said at the time of his appointment if we go down Ross will have used up the bulk of the goodwill the fans have for him.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Don't understand all the negativity towards Ross. He has come into a shambles, cleared out all of Rae's hopeless signings, brought in 10 new players who to me all look like decent signings and on Saturday, although we ended up drawing, it is the most passion and quality I have seen from our team in a long time. It was the way it should be when we visit away grounds like Dumbarton. The home team should be working their socks off to keep up with us rather than the all too many easy home wins for teams when we visit. Our goalkeeper looks like a Fraser Forster type, Davis looks like a classy centre half who got a goal on his debut, Storie is exactly what we've needed since goodwin left a pitbull type on opposition players heels and a strong tackler, McGinn has the experience to lead and help the midfield control things and Cammy Smith was a stand out going forward and could be the difference in many games going forward. It is also the most passion ive seen from our fans in a long time even to the point they were cheering and clapping the team off the pitch at the end. Yes it looks like we will go down but I believe Jack Ross and his fresh line up of players will show that he is the right man for the job, even if that job is to bring us back up from the league below.

6 hours ago, elvis said:

Only problem with that though is half on them won't be there and neither will Mcginn

I think you are right. Maybe even optimistic. We will probably need 8 or 9 cluggers and a few from the academy. If we get relegated there will be very little football skills on show. 

11 hours ago, magnus said:

I think you are right. Maybe even optimistic. We will probably need 8 or 9 cluggers and a few from the academy. If we get relegated there will be very little football skills on show. 

If it gets us back up, does it matter?

Edited by saint in exile