Dumbarton v St Mirren - 4th Feb 2017

Jocky

Bookies see this with Dumbarton as favourites, Dumbarton 5/6, St Mirren 23/10
We're closer than that but are we close enough to win.
13/5 the draw. [emoji33]

Would say that was about right. League doesn't lie, Dumbarton are a better team than us and they're at home.

As has been mentioned, they have our number in the head to heads too. In the 6 games between the sides since the start of last season Dumbarton have won 4 of them. We've won 1 and there's been 1 draw.

Assuming Ayr lose, Dumbarton will virtually assure their place in the championship next season with a win on Saturday. Huge game for them too.

If we are going to get anything we'll need to be far better than we were against Falkirk.

16 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Don't waste your money on a bet or your time on a prayer. This will be down to the team that really wants it the most and who stops the other from scoring. Tight game ahead. 

I think you could be right after Man Utd cost me a couple of hundred last night . Why is it always one team that lets you down ?

Ticket office update.

Just over 500 tickets sold for Saturday, just over 200 left in our allocation.

Ticket Office is open 1000 to 1400 and again 1700 to 1900 this evening if you are interested in going along to lend your support.

There are really NO PLANS for sales on the day in Dumbarton. If you want to go you need to get your ticket either today or tomorrow.

Come on Buds, your time is now.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Come on guys. I cannot believe the negativity. We have a new defence and McGinn who looks head and shoulders above most players in this league. I reckon Saints to win 2-0.

Bit previous with that review of McGinn, he had what twenty minutes or so, didnt cock anything up, played ok in a losing side. A bit unrealistic to heap that mantle on him after a cameo. Be interesting to see if Ross makes any attempt to change how slowly we take set plays, distribute and move forward.

it looks an obvious tactic of his to try and ensure our players dont surrender possesion easily, on the other hand it makes us easy to read, press and dispossess. 

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Bit previous with that review of McGinn, he had what twenty minutes or so, didnt cock anything up, played ok in a losing side. A bit unrealistic to heap that mantle on him after a cameo. Be interesting to see if Ross makes any attempt to change how slowly we take set plays, distribute and move forward.

it looks an obvious tactic of his to try and ensure our players dont surrender possesion easily, on the other hand it makes us easy to read, press and dispossess. 

I know it was only 20 mins but he showed a composure and football brain that we have lacked for some considerable time. My main concern is will the other players read what he wants to do. On Saturday for example Fjelde was storming up on McGinn's right and McGinn wanted to slip a through pass for him to run on to inside the box but Fjelde stays out wide and McGinn after waiting a couple of seconds had to pass out right as Fjelde did not see the more direct move and the moment was lost.

Anyway Jack just has to tell them that this is a Cup game and not a League game which will show an immediate improvement in performance :)

51 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I know it was only 20 mins but he showed a composure and football brain that we have lacked for some considerable time. My main concern is will the other players read what he wants to do. On Saturday for example Fjelde was storming up on McGinn's right and McGinn wanted to slip a through pass for him to run on to inside the box but Fjelde stays out wide and McGinn after waiting a couple of seconds had to pass out right as Fjelde did not see the more direct move and the moment was lost.

Anyway Jack just has to tell them that this is a Cup game and not a League game which will show an immediate improvement in performance :)

Point taken about Fjelde, he doesnt seem to be a thinker, looking for options, more heads down and charge. And that is the problem we have had, and perhaps will continue to have with the likes of McCallister, and to a lesser extent Hardie, Shankland and even Walsh gone. Too many players who dont/can't read whats on and whats not?

our biggest problem outwith not being able to keep clean sheets is the build up to create stick on goal scoring chances, too many of pur moves end up just being run out the pitch, or possesion turned over.

Biggest thing for me is hopefully we have 11 new mindsets, and the fact they know where we are  and what we need. Nobody wants to join a lost cause.

Some great signings, best one is the CB from Crewe, if JR can get quick understanding there we will stop LOSING goals, which means we don't need to score 3 goals to win a game, which is why we haven't won any recently

Also regardless, its clear that the BOD, JR and fans are at one on this. Its all out....... so well done..... now over the players.................

Cant say its boring this season !!!!!

On 1/29/2017 at 6:21 PM, Stevie88 said:

Agreed. Our only hope of survival is winning the relegation play off. Would bite your hand of for that just now. We seem to struggle carry any sort of momentum from one game to another, which unfortunately can only end one way.

I'm sure we would be way up this league if we won every second game!

If the full backs can get down the wings and sling in some decent early crosses I think we,ll be fine , could be an interesting team , thinking we might go for a 4 - 2 - 2 - 2 type formation , with Storie and McGinn playing holding type midfield roles , with Mallan and Smith playing behind Loy and Sutton .

Magennis , Todd and Morgan will all to come off the bench and add fresh legs as the game progresses .

Saints to win by at least three goals .

I can also hear Saints fans chanting the Great Escape as the game comes to a close .

Cross my hands with silver and I,ll give you the final score and the first scorer

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

If the full backs can get down the wings and sling in some decent early crosses I think we,ll be fine , could be an interesting team , thinking we might go for a 4 - 2 - 2 - 2 type formation , with Storie and McGinn playing holding type midfield roles , with Mallan and Smith playing behind Loy and Sutton .

Magennis , Todd and Morgan will all to come off the bench and add fresh legs as the game progresses .

Saints to win by at least three goals .

I can also hear Saints fans chanting the Great Escape as the game comes to a close .

Cross my hands with silver and I,ll give you the final score and the first scorer

Drunk at this time of the day? :P

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, BuddieinEK said:

I was supposed to be working Saturday but someone swapped shifts and now I have a dilemma...

Do I spend £18 to go support St Mirren football club v Dumbarton...

or do I spend £9 to go watch my mate play for St Mirren Warriors in the Wheelchair Basketball Scottish Cup Final?

Tricky one this!

Get them to video your mates game. Easy.

As for the Saints game, (Not the warriors), I don't know what to expect. We have our left back. We have our centre half. BUT. I witnessed a gutless performance last weekend and that worries me.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:01 PM, renfrew said:

Only away game I will likely go to is Ayr and I will used it as my retirement day out since today is my last day in work. I certainly hope the away end is full for sat but there come a time when enough is enough and sadly i have now reach that point.

You've lasted a few weeks more than some of our players.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:53 PM, TopCat said:

Even if we do win, we will still be in a worse position with regards to catching Dumbarton than we were before the Falkirk game yesterday.

In the sense that the gap will be the same as it was then (8 points) but we will have 2 less games to close it.

Our only realistic hope of survival is that Ayr continue their collapse and we catch them and win the playoffs IMO.

Dumbarton keep digging out big wins and we don't. I think they're too far ahead for us to catch them now.

Generally in agreement although I might throw in the continued collapse at Raith as a minor ray of hope as well. They look like the one team whose 2nd half of the season might match our first half.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:52 AM, DougJamie said:

Yup IOBS spot on

Some knuckle Fans still dont get, we are in this mess because we sack.....

We have no infrastructure and although Saints going down is  massive, we have to draw a line and finally build........... I am now prepared to go down and hopefully be surprised when we don't.................

Ton beat Falkirk, they thrashed Ayr, and when I think back to 2014 when we were 2 leagues ahead of them...... that could be reversed ....

Ton have stuck with Duffy and its paying dividends

We MUST do the same.

We are in this mess not because we sack but because we have made several bad appointments in a row which have all gone pear shaped pretty quickly and had 3 bad starts in the last 3 seasons meaning the team and manager and club have been under pressure after the first few games of the season.

As far as infrastructure goes, I think for a club of our size we are doing pretty well in terms of our stadium, training facilities and youth academy without saying any of these 3 are perfect. We probably have better training facilities than Aberdeen have at the present.

6 minutes ago, munoz said:

Does anyone know how many tickets we've sold now ? Hopefully close to selling out our allocation .

Will get an update from the ticket office in the morning bud and let everyone know.

I expect we'll take around 600, can't imagine we will have sold 200 today but never know.

Will get an update from the ticket office in the morning bud and let everyone know.
I expect we'll take around 600, can't imagine we will have sold 200 today but never know.

That's quite disappointing if we only take 600. Wasn't that long ago we took 1800 to Firhill for a vital relegation game.

That's a lot of fans to lose in such a short time.

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

That's quite disappointing if we only take 600. Wasn't that long ago we took 1800 to Firhill for a vital relegation game.

That's a lot of fans to lose in such a short time.

I guess three years of non-stop disappointment has taken it's toll.

I also wouldn't be massively surprised if there are buds turning up on the day expecting to pay at the gate.