Adam Eckersley

Sonny

Welcome Adam.

From OS....

St Mirren Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Adam Eckersley until the end of the season.

The 31 year-old left back joins Jack Ross' side after leaving American side FC Edmonton. 

Eckersley has previously had spells in Scotland after stints with Hearts and Hibernian over the last few seasons. 

After agreeing the short term deal, Eckersley told stmirren.com: "I was waiting on an offer that felt right for me. I know how good a coach he [Jack Ross] is and I felt like I had a trusting relationship with him.

"There's a lot of work to be done and I'll need to build a relationship with the players quick. I've been in the position with Barnsley in the Championship so it's something that I've dealt with before."

Manager Jack Ross said: "It's been no secret that we wanted to bring in a left sided player and Adam has a lot of quality. I worked with him when we were at Hearts and I know he'll be a good addition to the squad. He's experienced, he knows this league and we're delighted to have him in." 

Edited by Sonny

1 minute ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Good to get a bit more experience into the team. Especially in a position were we've lacked numbers.

As with every player that's arrived in January he needs to hit the ground running. No honeymoon here.

I agree but I think the NASL season ended in November so he might be a bit short of match fitness, although I suppose Fjelde is in the same boat on that one. On paper he looks like he should be a decent signing so fingers crossed.

Been crying out for a left back since we released the one we had - Sean Kelly - in the summer.

Hopefully this spells the end of Gary Irvine at St Mirren. Welcome aboard Adam, looks a good signing on paper.

Think keeping him fit will be the biggest issue. His injury record is a bit Keith Watson/Rocco Quinn-Esque. If we can get him and keep him fit he'll surely be a huge asset for the team.

Been crying out for a left back since we released the one we had - Sean Kelly - in the summer.

Hopefully this spells the end of Gary Irvine at St Mirren.

Sean Kelly, playing in his favoured position was very poor. Irvine will likely do better played on the right side.

Sean Kelly, playing in his favoured position was very poor. Irvine will likely do better played on the right side.

Kelly wasn't very poor, and his career since he left us suggests we were wrong to let him go.

Anyway that's in the past and our new left back is Eckersley, let's hope he's a success.

I don't think the main problem with Irvine is he's being played out of position, I think the main problem with Irvine is that he's shite. Hopefully Stelios will be right back and Adam left back:

I work in Edinburgh alongside a number of Hearts fans.

Occasionally they stop greetin about 1986 and talk some sense.

This morning, one of my colleagues informed me that Eckersely is a great player. He would gladly have him back right now and reckons he was far better than some of the dross they have had at left back since.

Sounds encouraging.

Kelly wasn't very poor, and his career since he left us suggests we were wrong to let him go.

What has done since he left us is irrelevant. Different surroundings, teammates and coaching methods can obviously have a direct bearing on a players performance, good or bad.

Point is, he wasn't a very good left back at all. Arguably better at CB but really lacked the physique to be commanding at that position.