Harry Davis

Drew

I don't think he was kidding anyone on when he signed, the club knew that he would be out for a while with a serious injury. With that, you accept the risk that there may be setbacks. It was obviously weighed up by the club and they decided that, to sign a player of that caliber, the risk was worth the potential gain. As far as I can figure out, he's more or less on schedule so far.

I don't think he was kidding anyone on when he signed, the club knew that he would be out for a while with a serious injury. With that, you accept the risk that there may be setbacks. It was obviously weighed up by the club and they decided that, to sign a player of that caliber, the risk was worth the potential gain. As far as I can figure out, he's more or less on schedule so far.

Indeed.

Had we started the season without him it is fair to say we would be no worse of at present.

If we then decided to strengthen in January and Harry was fully fit, there is not a hope on hell we would be able to buy a player of his calibre.

I'm looking upon him as a pre-conttract January transfer window signing and if he is fit beforehand, great.

He is a quality player who will strengthen us at the right time.

59 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

"Has something happened"?

err.. yeah he said he wont be at full training till next month, which means it will be mid to late November at the very earliest before he is able to kick a ball that counts for the first time in nine months. Thats If he doesnt have a reaction.  You may not be aware but we are having to make emergency loan signings to cover the position we signed a seriously injured player for. Was that a risk worth taking???

To answer your question on was it a risk worth taking. I believe so. He showed his ability when he was with us last season. Obviously you might have a different opinion.

11 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Indeed.

Had we started the season without him it is fair to say we would be no worse of at present.

If we then decided to strengthen in January and Harry was fully fit, there is not a hope on hell we would be able to buy a player of his calibre.

I'm looking upon him as a pre-conttract January transfer window signing and if he is fit beforehand, great.

He is a quality player who will strengthen us at the right time.

The "right time" was about seven weeks ago in Greenock.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

To answer your question on was it a risk worth taking. I believe so. He showed his ability when he was with us last season. Obviously you might have a different opinion.

I dont think anyone is questioning his ability, the issue is are we now such a big club we have extra resources to spend on players who wont kick a ball in nine months, or should we not have gone for the centre back "in the hand" rather than two in in the bush?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

I dont think anyone is questioning his ability, the issue is are we now such a big club we have extra resources to spend on players who wont kick a ball in nine months, or should we not have gone for the centre back "in the hand" rather than two in in the bush?

Davis every day of the week which will be proved when he is back we are going to need his quality to put up a serious challenge. He will be back early second quarter. 

10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Davis every day of the week which will be proved when he is back we are going to need his quality to put up a serious challenge. He will be back early second quarter. 

I would say that depriving ourselves of one of our fit centre backs for over a quarter of the season has contributed to our two losses. Lets hope that it doesn't cost us anymore as this league is there for the winning, the team/manager that makes the least mistakes will lift the title. We are capable of that if we can field a decent defence.

The signing of Davis was/is a risk. Signing any player returning from a bad injury is a risk.

Looks like the manager and the board agreed it was a risk worth taking and if it works out then we have a very good player to call on for 18 months.

The injuries to Gary MacKenzie were unfortunate, and it looks like he's going to be out for another wee while hence the manager moving to bring in McCart to provide cover and competition for Buchanan and Baird whilst those two recover.

Injuries and suspensions are part and parcel of the game and hopefully our situation will improve.

To be winning games like yesterday without MacKenzie, Davis, Magennis, Eckersley and Buchanan and dealing with the in-game injury to Todd was very encouraging.

8 minutes ago, div said:

Looks like the manager and the board agreed it was a risk worth taking and if it works out then we have a very good player to call on for 18 months.

Specifically if you look ahead as none of our central defenders other than Davis is contracted beyond the end of the season. In fact I think it is only Eckersley, alongside Davis, of our full defence that has a contract into next season

We had 3 fit centre backs, Mackenzie, Baird & Buchanan.

Two were out so we have brought in a good player on an emergency loan.

So what is the problem?

We could have signed a different centre half to Davis, but its unlikely he would have been as good as Davis. 

So what would have been the point in having an extra centre half in reserve when you can bring someone in on an emergency loan anyway?

This way we get, probably the best defender in the league, in a month or so time.

I think its ideal.

• 4 weeks later...

Will be great to see Harry Davis back playing for the buds in the next month or so.

I had a quick glance as stats and I am sure that he played 9 games for the buds in league and cup duty and we only managed to keep a clean sheet in 3 of those games.

I think he is a cracking player but don't think him coming back into the team necessarily means we are going to stop conceding goals and start getting clean sheets.

I think we are always going to concede more than our fair share of goals even if Gary Mac and Harry Davis are both back fully fit and playing.

I think it's a by product of the way we are set up under Jack. Not a complaint just an observation.

I think we had 3 clean sheets in the 5 league games (plus half an hour against Utd) that Harry was involved. Celtic put 4 past us in the cup, but they were unbeaten in all domestic competitions last season so that's a bit of a red herring, and we conceded 4 in Harry's first two games, where the defence was still finding its feet with a new keeper, plus Harry and also Eckersley & Stelios settling into the defence.

My view is that Harry will make a big difference to us defensively, and if Gary Mack can get fit as well, we will have a far more formidable defence, with Magennis also fit in the midfield, we'll be less vulnerable than we are now. Just my own view.

10 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I think we had 3 clean sheets in the 5 league games (plus half an hour against Utd) that Harry was involved. Celtic put 4 past us in the cup, but they were unbeaten in all domestic competitions last season so that's a bit of a red herring, and we conceded 4 in Harry's first two games, where the defence was still finding its feet with a new keeper, plus Harry and also Eckersley & Stelios settling into the defence.

My view is that Harry will make a big difference to us defensively, and if Gary Mack can get fit as well, we will have a far more formidable defence, with Magennis also fit in the midfield, we'll be less vulnerable than we are now. Just my own view.

Yeah there seems to be a sorta fashion to downplay the impact his return could make but he was clearly "a class above" this division before his injury and if the gamble pays off and he returns at that level it'll be a real coup for us.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Daily Ranger ....

It has been a long time coming – a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

But St Mirren defender Harry Davis is finally counting down the days until pulling back on the black and white stripes of the Buddies.

Davis hasn’t kicked a competitive ball in anger since dislocating his knee back in March, while on loan at the Paisley club from Crewe Alexandra.

But his performances were enough for Jack Ross to roll the dice and sign the Englishman permanently, despite knowing he was to remain on the sidelines for the opening three months of the
season.

And now, having been back in full training for the best part of a fortnight, Davis has been pencilled in for the Under-20s’ match with Ross County on Tuesday.

“It’s been a long time coming. Too long really”, Davis told Express Sport.

“It is nice to be back – I’ve trained for about 12 days, So far, so good.

“The knee is feeling good and it is just a case of getting the confidence back.

“I am going to try and play in the Under-20s game next week so I am just taking it as it comes.

“I am just counting down the minutes.

“I can’t wait to get back out on the pitch and repay the faith that the manager has shown in me.

“He brought me back to the club, when, in all honesty, it would have been easier for him not to.

“I am very thankful to St Mirren to be honest.

“I stayed in contact with the gaffer.

“He always wanted me back which was brilliant and gave me something to aim for.

“I was down south a lot of the time using Crewe’s facilities, but I just thought why not? I loved my time here and the move is perfect.

“I have a lot of affection for the club so I was delighted to move back up here with the family.”

Davis admits the hardest part of being out injured has been watching his teammates return to training, while he was holed up in the gym himself.

The psychological side of being injured can often be forgotten.

And Davis insists getting over an injury is a lot more than just dealing with the physical side of being out.

He added: “Words can’t describe how much I have missed being out there on the pitch.

“I think I have been driving my missus mad in the house.

“Just being in and around the lads again, rather than being in the gym alone, is brilliant.

“Being on my own sometimes wasn’t a great place.

“The mental aspect of being injured is just as difficult as the physical side of things, especially when dealing with a long term injury.

“I have had a few long term injuries so when you have them then it is tough.”

And Davis reserved a special mention for his father, Steve, and brother, Joe, who have been there every step of the way throughout his rehab.

They are both involved in football south of the border – and Davis admits they have been invaluable.

He said: “I speak to my dad on a day-to-day basis, obviously he is at Leyton Orient and my brother Joe is at Port Vale.

“It is a bit of a family affair. We always ask each other how we are getting on.

“I’m very thankful to my old man for everything. He played professionally and he has always been happy to help me out.

“I’ll take any advice from him.

“But they were both on hand to help me get through the injuries, and I can’t thank them enough for that.”

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

From the Daily Ranger ....

It has been a long time coming – a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

But St Mirren defender Harry Davis is finally counting down the days until pulling back on the black and white stripes of the Buddies.

Davis hasn’t kicked a competitive ball in anger since dislocating his knee back in March, while on loan at the Paisley club from Crewe Alexandra.

But his performances were enough for Jack Ross to roll the dice and sign the Englishman permanently, despite knowing he was to remain on the sidelines for the opening three months of the
season.

And now, having been back in full training for the best part of a fortnight, Davis has been pencilled in for the Under-20s’ match with Ross County on Tuesday.

“It’s been a long time coming. Too long really”, Davis told Express Sport.

“It is nice to be back – I’ve trained for about 12 days, So far, so good.

“The knee is feeling good and it is just a case of getting the confidence back.

“I am going to try and play in the Under-20s game next week so I am just taking it as it comes.

“I am just counting down the minutes.

“I can’t wait to get back out on the pitch and repay the faith that the manager has shown in me.

“He brought me back to the club, when, in all honesty, it would have been easier for him not to.

“I am very thankful to St Mirren to be honest.

“I stayed in contact with the gaffer.

“He always wanted me back which was brilliant and gave me something to aim for.

“I was down south a lot of the time using Crewe’s facilities, but I just thought why not? I loved my time here and the move is perfect.

“I have a lot of affection for the club so I was delighted to move back up here with the family.”

Davis admits the hardest part of being out injured has been watching his teammates return to training, while he was holed up in the gym himself.

The psychological side of being injured can often be forgotten.

And Davis insists getting over an injury is a lot more than just dealing with the physical side of being out.

He added: “Words can’t describe how much I have missed being out there on the pitch.

“I think I have been driving my missus mad in the house.

“Just being in and around the lads again, rather than being in the gym alone, is brilliant.

“Being on my own sometimes wasn’t a great place.

“The mental aspect of being injured is just as difficult as the physical side of things, especially when dealing with a long term injury.

“I have had a few long term injuries so when you have them then it is tough.”

And Davis reserved a special mention for his father, Steve, and brother, Joe, who have been there every step of the way throughout his rehab.

They are both involved in football south of the border – and Davis admits they have been invaluable.

He said: “I speak to my dad on a day-to-day basis, obviously he is at Leyton Orient and my brother Joe is at Port Vale.

“It is a bit of a family affair. We always ask each other how we are getting on.

“I’m very thankful to my old man for everything. He played professionally and he has always been happy to help me out.

“I’ll take any advice from him.

“But they were both on hand to help me get through the injuries, and I can’t thank them enough for that.”

Tremendous news, best defender in the league by a country mile.