Ayr United V St Mirren SPFL Championship 25/2/17

supras

35 minutes ago, Hambud said:

This really is a must win. I'm heading more with hope than expectation.

If we are even going to at least try to fight for our survival then we need to start this weekend.

COYS!! KTF!! ETC.

Totally agree with that. However I have been saying that since the beginning of the year. Onward and upward as my school used to sing.

This game is massive. Right up there with Stirling Albion many moons ago. I fondly remember the energy and excitement amongst the large travelling support that sunny day. We must win to drag Ayr back to within touching distance.

We have to go at them from the off to win the game and not wait and play cadgey and see how it goes. We have to win.

If we can foster the atmosphere we had at Falkirk all those years ago then the fans really can be the clichéd 12th man and drive the team on and give them the belief in the league they so obviously seem to be lacking.

I so desperately want us to win but fear we can't keep clean sheets and that will be our undoing in this game and this season as a whole.

Ayr United 2 St Mirren 2

Not been on recently but looking at upcoming fixtures I don't see where any wins are likely, maybe the odd draw which is no use to us. Even the cup draw was miserable and it seems all too convenient for the big clubs to coast to the semis. Best we can hope for is damage limitation, something for which Celtic have rarely been accommodating towards us. 

I do think JR will be given next season in the 3rd division to get us back up at the first attempt but wonder how many of the recent recruits will still be here - not that I have seen a great improvement in league results - or will there be yet another clear-out. I suspect half the team will return home to England and try their luck there.

As for Saturday, the latest in the "must win" category, none of which we have yet managed to actually win, I fear the best we can expect is a draw. No use whatsoever. consequently planning for next season should be a priority.

12 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

I'm actually reasonably confident that we can win this one.

Hibs at home in next match is a different matter.....

We can beat anyone. We've already beaten Hibs already this season, albeit in the cup. Beat Ayr and we'll have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 4, our best short run of form for years.

Forget the opposition, and the fact two of them were cup ties, the team has experienced winning multiple games, which must breed confidence. Win on Saturday and the momentum shifts a little, with AYr feeling just a bit of pressure, and us experiencing feint hope. From there we can build some momentum.

Winning on Saturday is the hard part though.

11 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We can beat anyone. We've already beaten Hibs already this season, albeit in the cup. Beat Ayr and we'll have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 4, our best short run of form for years.

Forget the opposition, and the fact two of them were cup ties, the team has experienced winning multiple games, which must breed confidence. Win on Saturday and the momentum shifts a little, with AYr feeling just a bit of pressure, and us experiencing feint hope. From there we can build some momentum.

Winning on Saturday is the hard part though.

Funny that, I though "anyone" was beating us almost every game? :lol:

Didn't someone say form/previous games don't matter a fcuk? :rolleyes:

I agree that if we beat Ayr this weekend the pressure will be on them and this could be a cracking game.

Both teams will be aware of the importance, fans on both sides will be shitting themselves.

Please let it be us who scores first as I think this could be critical.

Both teams to score could be a decent bet.

1 hour ago, Froggie said:

Not been on recently but looking at upcoming fixtures I don't see where any wins are likely, maybe the odd draw which is no use to us. Even the cup draw was miserable and it seems all too convenient for the big clubs to coast to the semis. Best we can hope for is damage limitation, something for which Celtic have rarely been accommodating towards us. 

I do think JR will be given next season in the 3rd division to get us back up at the first attempt but wonder how many of the recent recruits will still be here - not that I have seen a great improvement in league results - or will there be yet another clear-out. I suspect half the team will return home to England and try their luck there.

As for Saturday, the latest in the "must win" category, none of which we have yet managed to actually win, I fear the best we can expect is a draw. No use whatsoever. consequently planning for next season should be a priority.

Last time I looked at the league table we had over a third of our games to go......:death

Realise the importance of this one..... more down to the fact that we have been awful in " must wins"................ We turn up, we play with the speed and direction of Sunday, IMHO we win. We sit back or don't press, we are playing Ayr at their strength.... we all know this............ Hopefully Jack does.....

This is a massive game and will show us all whether Jack is the man or just another poor choice.... Nice guy but is he a winner, we will find out in 52 hours

Edited by DougJamie

Past history this season is not so relevant at this stage as it would have been previously.

We more or less have a new squad of players in important positions and based on Sunday's second half performance (not much to go on I know) we are now hopefully a much improved team and capable of beating anyone if we play to our potential.

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

Past history this season is not so relevant at this stage as it would have been previously.

We more or less have a new squad of players in important positions and based on Sunday's second half performance (not much to go on I know) we are now hopefully a much improved team and capable of beating anyone if we play to our potential.

This is some statement.

At best we are an unknown quantity.

I love the last 45 minutes from Sunday, against a team recognised as shite on the day, being touted as the dawn of a new era, forgetting the previous 45 minutes which was, erm, dire? :blink:

Who knows what will happen, yes we could win on Saturday and send a message out to Ayr but, just as easily, well, let's wait and see. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This is some statement.

At best we are an unknown quantity.

I love the last 45 minutes from Sunday, against a team recognised as shite on the day, being touted as the dawn of a new era, forgetting the previous 45 minutes which was, erm, dire? :blink:

Who knows what will happen, yes we could win on Saturday and send a message out to Ayr but, just as easily, well, let's wait and see. :rolleyes:

Even if we win on Saturday we will have to "wait and see" - a lot can go wrong between now and the end of the season, but barring injuries to key players and getting a rub of the green we are at least now capable of the great escape, whereas before the January transfer window that looked less likely.

Edited by northstbuddie

21 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Which so far is QOS and Raith in December......

Past History is highly relevant, that's how you learn, and the one factor we have going into this game is...............the same management team 

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Which so far is QOS and Raith in December......

Past History is highly relevant, that's how you learn, and the one factor we have going into this game is...............the same management team 

It's only "highly relevant" if you have basically the same squad of players. We were competing up to January without a functioning midfield (legacy of AR) plus the defence has been significantly bolstered up and the attack has been given more bite (we hope).

Let's give the management team the chance to prove themselves and see how they handle this new situation.

However nothing is guaranteed - that I accept.

Just now, northstbuddie said:

It's only "highly relevant" if you have basically the same squad of players. We were competing up to January without a functioning midfield (legacy of AR) plus the defence has been significantly bolstered up and the attack has been given more bite (we hope).

Let's give the management team the chance to prove themselves and see how they handle this new situation.

However nothing is guaranteed - that I accept.

NB- I am 100% behind JR and the team, and whilst I hear you and still disagree that with a poor squad we could only manage 4 points in 14 matches, Jack lost his first 5...

Yes we had issues but again, we are seeing two PT teams well above us...... If, and I must stress IF we go down, then its not Rae that put us there

8 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I like your confidence and think this is the positive way we have to approach the remaining league games, that we are capable of beating any team in this division.

For all the doom and gloom merchants ahead of Saturday, which Ayr players would get a game in our side? Devlin, perhaps Balatoni, and I reckon that's it. We have better players and should be winning.