Ayr United V St Mirren SPFL Championship 25/2/17

supras

17 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Would think Morgan and Smith will come into the starting 11 for this 1.

Huge game.

Hope so. They are the only two forwards in the whole squad that take people on and get a shot away. They both must start every League game from here on in.

I watched QoS play DUFC yesterday and Dobbie and Lyle were brilliant. Found space, held the ball up, got shots away all night and both scored. Dobbie is 34 and has scored 12 League goals this season. Lyle is 36 with 10 goals. We have Sutton at 33 with 5 league goals and Clarkson at 31 with 1 League goal. Our problems this season are far more than just the defence. Just sayin' .

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

I watched QoS play DUFC yesterday and Dobbie and Lyle were brilliant. Found space, held the ball up, got shots away all night and both scored. Dobbie is 34 and has scored 12 League goals this season. Lyle is 36 with 10 goals. 

And their team got beat 3-2.:rolleyes:

We're an absolutely imperious cup side. 9 cup games and 8 wins this season proves that.

This team shows what it's capable of when the pressure is off in the cups. It's when the pressure's on in the league that they fold.

I fully expect us to beat East Fife this weekend, TNS the weekend after and then fail to beat Ayr in the league at the end of the month.

Go on St Mirren, prove me wrong. Please!

Just a heads up re the rail disruption. I did the journey yesterday from Ayrshire with the same restrictions as are currently in place for Saturday (bus replacement Paisley to Kilwinning). It is not that bad at all only adds 15-20 mins to the journey. The bus for Kilwinning only stops at Johnstone (other buses running to intermediate stops) and took just over 40 mins with the train waiting for you on arrival at Kilwinning. There were fleets of buses at both ends, as many as they basically need for each departure.

We've got better players than Ayr. Put them on the park, in their right positions and play with the energy, desire and quality that we showed in the 2nd half yesterday. Get Morgan on the left, McGinn and Mallan in the middle with Smith playing behind Sutton.

If we play as timidly as we did in the 1st half yesterday, we'll lose.

Naturally, we view this as a last chance for us, but Ayr will be bottling it as well. They've got a 8 point lead over us and are at home. If they lose, it's a disaster for them. Do they come out and attack or sit in and hope to hold out?

Edited by Edinbuddie

We've got better players than Ayr. Put them on the park, in their right positions and play with the energy, desire and quality that we showed in the 2nd half yesterday. Get Morgan on the left, McGinn and Mallan in the middle with Smith playing behind Sutton.

If we play as timidly as we did in the 1st half yesterday, we'll lose.

Naturally, we view this as a last chance for us, but Ayr will be bottling it as well. They've got a 8 point lead over us and are at home. If they lose, it's a disaster for them. Do they come out and attack or sit in and hope to hold out?

Regarding Ayr, reading through their fans posts on PNB, they're more concerned with catching 8th than worrying about us.

Their fans seem to think (rightly or wrongly) that we are gone. Which is understandable really, they're 4 points behind 8th and 8 points ahead of us. The gap between them and the teams above them is far smaller than the gap between us and them.

They'll see this weekend as a great chance of winning and therefore getting closer to Dunfermline, Raith and Dumbarton and the safety of 8th place. Any notion they will sit in any more than they normally do cause they are worried about us catching them is off the mark in my opinion. They do play a deep aggressive style all the time right enough, and it will be the same this weekend. I anticipate a similarly close and brutal game to the previous four encounters between the sides this season.

Regarding the first part of your post, I agree with that fully. We have far better players than Ayr, and this isn't surprising given we have a far larger budget. I genuinely wouldn't take a single one of their players for our first 11. The difference between us and them is that they have a manager who's maximising what's available to him and we don't.

57 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Regarding Ayr, reading through their fans posts on PNB, they're more concerned with catching 8th than worrying about us.

Their fans seem to think (rightly or wrongly) that we are gone. Which is understandable really, they're 4 points behind 8th and 8 points ahead of us. The gap between them and the teams above them is far smaller than the gap between us and them.

They'll see this weekend as a great chance of winning and therefore getting closer to Dunfermline, Raith and Dumbarton and the safety of 8th place. Any notion they will sit in any more than they normally do cause they are worried about us catching them is off the mark in my opinion. They do play a deep aggressive style all the time right enough, and it will be the same this weekend. I anticipate a similarly close and brutal game to the previous four encounters between the sides this season.

Regarding the first part of your post, I agree with that fully. We have far better players than Ayr, and this isn't surprising given we have a far larger budget. I genuinely wouldn't take a single one of their players for our first 11. The difference between us and them is that they have a manager who's maximising what's available to him and we don't.

Ayr fans on PNB may be looking up the way, but they won't all be. I know an Ayr fan who was at their last two games, at Clyde and Dumbarton. Like us, he'd take 9th place and a play off right now.

I'm not suggesting that they'll do anything other than be organised, stuffy and put the boot in. But it's sometimes worth thinking about things from the other team's point of view. If they win, we're gone. If we win, they're right in the relegation battle. That creates a bit of uncertainty in their mental approach to the game.