Chairman's Update

Sonny

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If JR had inherited a team which had won things together and then gone downhill you would have had a point.

AR hired almost an entire squad who turned out to be duffers and then couldnt get performances from them.

JR had to go in and turn things around. He couldnt get anything out of the same players and so he turned around an entire team in the New Year, took us to a national Cup Final, a quarter final in another cup, gave us 2 wins over Hibs, 1 win over Dundee Utd, an away win at Dundee and had us in the lead at bloody Parkhead until aroind the hour mark. On top of that he has had us playing some fantastic football, brought fans, players, management and club owners together for the first time in years, we are scoring goals and winning most games recently too.

This is successful management and will not have gone unnoticed by other clubs. He ran out of time with Alloa last season and it will be tight for us this season but make no mistake, you are watching the next Fergie IMO. Just needs our board to keep with him even if we fall short this season.

Don't get me wrong, I think things have clearly improved during Jack Ross' tenure and hopefully continue to improve. However, when looking back at Alex Smith's time, it isn't just all about the 1987 cup win. There's the dreadful slide in the league after it. Gus MacPherson can rightly be proud of the league win, reserve league cup win, and Irn Bru Petrofac Bells Ramsdens B&Q Colts Welsh & Northern Irish Diddies Diddy Cup... but there's the grim shitfest during latter years to consider. Danny Lennon too.

I just think we cannot airbrush from history the utterly desperate results we initially suffered under Jack Ross, and say it is only fair to judge him post-January. The whole picture should be considered, and could yet result in relegation to the third tier. Hopefully not. I wish Jack and the team nothing but the best, and let's hope Jack Ross' overall reign will be a solid, steady and stable one - that would do me.

44 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I think you can pay £10 and go in without a child no?

Correct. The £10 offer is only available in the family stand, and comes with optional 2 tickets for kids, but there is absolutely nothing stopping an adult buying a ticket for that part of the ground and going in without any kids.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I just think we cannot airbrush from history the utterly desperate results we initially suffered under Jack Ross, and say it is only fair to judge him post-January. The whole picture should be considered, and could yet result in relegation to the third tier. Hopefully not. I wish Jack and the team nothing but the best, and let's hope Jack Ross' overall reign will be a solid, steady and stable one - that would do me.

Don't think we can forget those results either but it's clear there was something badly wrong in the dressing room those first few months of the season. We shouldn't have been losing as many games as we did. 4 pts from our first 14 games was absolutely diabolical.

Jack addressed the problem and looks like he's fixed it. He made some mistakes along the way too as I'd expect any rookie manager would do.

When I see someone like Brendan Rogers waxing away about his abilities as a manager and I see first hand how he's rebuilt not only the team (at a ridiculously difficult time of the season) but repaired the bridge between the supporters and the team, then I know we have a winner on our hands.

I've not been as excited by a Saints manager since Tom Hendrie.

In Jack I definitely trust, 100%

12 minutes ago, div said:

Don't think we can forget those results either but it's clear there was something badly wrong in the dressing room those first few months of the season. We shouldn't have been losing as many games as we did. 4 pts from our first 14 games was absolutely diabolical.

Jack addressed the problem and looks like he's fixed it. He made some mistakes along the way too as I'd expect any rookie manager would do.

When I see someone like Brendan Rogers waxing away about his abilities as a manager and I see first hand how he's rebuilt not only the team (at a ridiculously difficult time of the season) but repaired the bridge between the supporters and the team, then I know we have a winner on our hands.

I've not been as excited by a Saints manager since Tom Hendrie.

In Jack I definitely trust, 100%

Good post. He got a rough deal at the start. In fact, all the cards were coming from the bottom of the pack. If he'd known what Rae was dealing out, he'd have dealt them back... we've got the Jack.

34 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Don't get me wrong, I think things have clearly improved during Jack Ross' tenure and hopefully continue to improve. However, when looking back at Alex Smith's time, it isn't just all about the 1987 cup win. There's the dreadful slide in the league after it. Gus MacPherson can rightly be proud of the league win, reserve league cup win, and Irn Bru Petrofac Bells Ramsdens B&Q Colts Welsh & Northern Irish Diddies Diddy Cup... but there's the grim shitfest during latter years to consider. Danny Lennon too.

It could easily still result in relegation and I do accept that we need to consider the entire package.

If the season was over after the last set of results would you be looking at the overall picture and concluding that we should sack Jack?

For me, so far, I would say that the turnaround has been magnificent and would want him to get a full season with his own team.

Of course, if we shitfest our way to relegation from here and go out without a fight I might change my mind.

Right now though the trajectory is upwards and even with relegation I would keep him on providing that trajectory remains upwards until the end of the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Some more good news from our Chairman ...

27 April 2017

Chairman's Update

Gordon Scott
Saints News

As we approach the final weeks of the regular season I thought it appropriate  to give you all another update from the board.

ON THE PITCH

The form shown by the team since our squad restructure in January has been remarkable. It’s a testament to Jack, James and the players that they have managed to turn in a series of results that now leaves our destiny in our own hands with just two games remaining.

It’s been a roller coaster season like no other, and there is still much work to do over the last two matches but there is a positive energy about the whole club right now that has been a joy to be part of these last few months and I have the utmost faith that this will continue to be the case right to the end of the campaign.

It’s really satisfying to me that we have earned these positive results by playing entertaining football. Seventeen goals scored in our last six league matches has been typical of the brand of football Jack and James have fostered at our club. It’s been really enjoyable seeing a St.Mirren team play with a bit of swagger again and long may it continue!

It’s a cliché but the supporters have truly been that 12th man this season. You have stuck with the team and the management through that difficult transitional period and the backing you’ve given through what has seemed like an endless series of “must win” games has been truly fantastic.

The players, the management & the board of directors truly appreciate your loyalty and support and we know we can count on you again for the remaining games of the season. 

NEW SPONSORS

In my last update I mentioned forthcoming news on a new major sponsorship and kit deal.

I am delighted to welcome Skyview Capital and Joma to the St.Mirren family.

It goes without saying that such major deals are vital to the ongoing finances of our club and give us a solid foundation on which to go forward. We are fortunate to have these organisations on board and look forward to working with them over the coming seasons.

PLAYING KITS & CLUB SHOP

As part of the new deal it will be fantastic to once again see replica shirts and other merchandise being sold directly by the club from our own shop and via our own website.

We will shortly be expanding the stadium shop to cope with what we hope will be a great increase in customer numbers coming in throughout the week and not just on match days.

I can’t give away too much on the new kits at this time but, like me, I’m sure you will be glad to know we will be back in our traditional stripes again next season on both the back and front!

We expect the kit to go on sale in early June, with pre-orders being accepted here on STMIRREN.COM in our e-store. Look out for more details on the website and on our social media channels in the coming weeks.

SMISA UPDATE

The SMiSA AGM takes place this Saturday in the UWS Library on Storie Street (1230 start and open to all SMiSA members – Register your attendance here)

I’d like to thank all SMiSA members for their help during the course of the season. There were a number of financial challenges that we inherited and the loan we were given to allow us to fix the undersoil heating was greatly appreciated as that cost came at a very difficult time for us. It took longer than anticipated but I’m pleased to advise that the USH system is now functional again although it will still need some further work to make it more robust in time for next winter.

The construction of the disabled platform and the contribution to the playing budget during our time of need in January were positive examples of the club and SMiSA working together to achieve a common goal – that being the continued progress of the club both on and off the pitch.

The deal between SMiSA and myself and the selling consortium was complex and one which was constructed with meticulous detail by all of those involved. The SMiSA committee worked really hard to ensure the agreement represented a good deal for both the fans and the club.

That attention to detail has delivered a completely secure and robust plan and one which remains well on track to achieving it’s published aims in the timescales originally quoted.

I am very happy that we are heading in the right direction towards full fan ownership and the relationship between SMiSA and the board is very healthy, with David Nicol performing the role of conduit between both organisations perfectly.

I will be on hand at the AGM to answer any questions any members might have.

INFRASTRUCTURE WORK

In addition to the club shop expansion which I’ve already touched on we have just started phase 3 of the renovation work at the academy buildings at Ralston.

This will take in the necessary repairs to the coaches changing room and will also involve the relocation of the kit room to allow for an office for the medical and football analysis staff. We have also created a separate video analysis area.

There have been some issues with drainage on the grass training area which will need to be addressed in the close season.

IN SUMMARY

Thank you for your continued support both emotionally and financially this season. It’s been greatly appreciated and hopefully the next 10 days will see that support rewarded with a positive outcome on the pitch allowing us to move forward into next season with justified optimism.

See you Saturday.

#COYS #ThisLove

Solid update, very excited about the new strips and them coming to our shop.  Hoping a good number of fans get them this coming season regardless of what league we end up in.  Club has taken a massive decision not to be JD Sports wiping boys and grab the money and run, which would of been very easy to do.  I for one am so proud the club took this decision.  

Another point on this does anyone know if I'd be able to get a physical gift card from the club shop? Got my brothers birthday coming up soon and that's what I want to get him. 

Not sure I'll make the AGM but i would be interested to ask, what happens if we reach our goal of fan ownership early? (which we will do with current membership numbers) 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Solid update, very excited about the new strips and them coming to our shop.  Hoping a good number of fans get them this coming season regardless of what league we end up in.  Club has taken a massive decision not to be JD Sports wiping boys and grab the money and run, which would of been very easy to do.  I for one am so proud the club took this decision.  

Another point on this does anyone know if I'd be able to get a physical gift card from the club shop? Got my brothers birthday coming up soon and that's what I want to get him. 

Not sure I'll make the AGM but i would be interested to ask, what happens if we reach our goal of fan ownership early? (which we will do with current membership numbers) 

Thats a good final point, be good to hear someone ask that at the AGM.

Thats a good final point, be good to hear someone ask that at the AGM.

As far as I'm concerned we should continue on the 10 year plan regardless and if we raise the money in less time it means we can bank the cash and build a rainy day fund.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

So you know the answer as well. Not what the members were led to believe.

ive no idea what the "answer" is. That was my opinion. Why do you need to turn EVERYTHING into a riddle?