Saints v dundee Utd

Stockholmbud

1 minute ago, foxbar_bud said:

Has Ben Gordon not being playing for the under 21s recently? Baird and Mack starting with Ben on the bench. Don't think we will be seeing Webster on the pitch again

I was reading through the post above and wondering if I was missing something when Gordon wasn't mentioned.

I take it he is returning from injury?

Another great result and another step closer to safety.

Why can't we play top 4 teams at home every Wednesday night? :D

While the 2-0 against Hibs was our best performance of the season, last nights win was just as satisfying in many ways in that we held on for victory under real pressure and did not buckle or capitulate. I think we totally deserved our victory. If Ayr were ever in any doubt that they are in a survival fight then they certainly know it for sure now. Raith, who were no doubt high-fiving survival after the 2-0 last Wednesday, might pause for thought as well; a 5 point gap, with a trip to St Mirren Park to come, leaves them on the outskirts of trouble still.

I thought all the players got pass marks at least (and most a lot more) - although the goalie seems to be having a mini crisis of confidence at the moment. There were obvious star performers last night but I'm putting out a special mention to Gary Irvine as he has been transformed since he switched back to his favoured position. I had a moan at him on the forum about performances earlier in the season so I've got to balance the books by giving due credit and recognition for the very assured performances since the post transfer window team has been configured. (I'm sure he will have been neither deflated by my criticism nor elated by my praise but I've got to keep myself right).

It does cast even more retrospective criticism on the previous management team; why didn't they try to reconfigure the defence to play Irvine in his strongest position. We were leaking goals and misfiring all over the place so they couldn't have been criticized for trying something different. Easy with hindsight I know, but I'm not getting paid to manage the St Mirren - they were.

Edited by southsidebud

Having previously stated that I wasn't going and we would lose.... Wrong on both counts. I went at the last minute and glad I did, although it was misery towards the end. No wonder even weans have grey hair, lol. Mention of praise for Gary Irvine and Mallan, thought both were great. Goalie a bit suspect and when Davis went off, his replacement was dodgy. Refuse to take back anything about Sutton though, he was woeful again. United are a decent team, very fast, but we more than matched them. It puts us again back in with a chance of survival although personally I still think its too late. Who knows ? Win on Saturday and it could change.

6 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Having previously stated that I wasn't going and we would lose.... Wrong on both counts. I went at the last minute and glad I did, although it was misery towards the end. No wonder even weans have grey hair, lol. Mention of praise for Gary Irvine and Mallan, thought both were great. Goalie a bit suspect and when Davis went off, his replacement was dodgy. Refuse to take back anything about Sutton though, he was woeful again. United are a decent team, very fast, but we more than matched them. It puts us again back in with a chance of survival although personally I still think its too late. Who knows ? Win on Saturday and it could change.

Your are one pessimistic wee frog.

19 minutes ago, Froggie said:

You seriously think its too late for SMFC to survive. I'm looking for 8th now and see no obvious reason to doubt it. Davis injury a big blow but now time for Jack Baird to step up and show what he has to JR.

Take Sutton out the team and we are half the team up front. Jack Ross has tried it a couple of times this season first with Shankland and then he used Clarkson at Dumbarton and we were junk till Sutton came on in both games. Can't get my head around the criticism of John Sutton.

We are where we are.

Time and perspective will show just how bad things have been since Thommo, Goncalves and Newton all scored in the League Cup Final in 2013.  Poor decision making, bad appointments and downright bad luck have almost cost the club everything.  We are still clear at the bottom of the second tier of Scottish football and the team above us have a game in hand.  

BUT...

The team is in the ascendency. We have the makings of an excellent squad of players, we've played the league leaders off the park, beginning to put a seriously impressive run of results together, have held our own away at Celtic Park for 60 minutes and received great praise from their manager in the national press, have what people on P&B are calling the 2nd best manager in Scotland (outside of Rodgers) and in Mcginn we have a leader on the park who, like Saint Thommo, came back to Paisley when he should be playing at a much higher level.  We're looking solid at the back ( yes I remember the Raith and Celtic games, but we are) and we have the craft and guile of some great young talent.  8th is realistic and achievable.  If we continue to play with momentum, aggression and belief we will rise the table, I have no doubt.  Oh, we have a cup final against a team we just scored 3 against.

MON THE BUDDIES...!

Cheers Buds.  

DSC_0894.JPG

1 hour ago, Froggie said:

Sutton was important especially those last 20 mins when it was backs to the ball

He won most headers defending our own box

He also set up the first goal

He is what he is an old fashioned No 9 and he puts himself about

On a side note the referee didn't seem to know the rules

Twice he gave Sutton offside from a bye kick

Also Dillon got treatment on the pitch and just got up and carried on playing 

Never left the pitch

Sutton was important especially those last 20 mins when it was backs to the ball
Never left the pitch

You don't need to leave the pitch if the person who booted you up the arse gets booked.

9 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Never left the pitch

Dillon didn't have to leave the pitch as the player who fouled him (Morgan) was booked

9 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Never left the pitch

That number 14 had his arms all over Sutton the whole game and only got pulled for it a couple of times , don't know how the linesman on the West stand side couldn't see it .

Fantastic performances/results recently and we`ve pulled ourselves right back into contention of staying up. The most pleasing aspect of last night for me was not on the pitch but OFF the pitch. The support of the fans for the team just now is nothing short of amazing. 800 up to Kirkcaldy last week[ compare that to about 250 united fans there last night for a team chasing 2nd place?] about 1100 away to Ayr recently too.

Whilst we will always disagree on the forum, when it comes to standing side by side on whatever day Saints play and cheering them on then no one can argue we haven`t played a part in this teams revival.

Last night the whole ground including main stand where I sit really got behind the team and drove them on. We could see them get deeper and deeper on the pitch but the energy and passion coming from the stands helped get them over the line.  Contrast that to 6 months ago of moaning for more effort, passion and energy  from those wearing the hallowed black n white stripes.

The commitment and effort from the team now is getting great recognition from the support, lets keep it positive from the stands, support in numbers, and get us into 8th by season end.

COYS

12 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Never left the pitch

I had to google it to see if the offside from a goal kick rule was correct, I never realised that before. Pretty sure players are called offside from goal kicks fairly regularly.

Sutton seems to get manhandled every game when going for high balls and very rarely gets any fouls, I think he's pissed off the referees over his career.. or maybe he's getting the flack from his brothers comments about referees.

Just now, windae cleaner said:

Eh

The game was held up for him to get treatment he should have left the pitch and waited on the referee signal to allow him back on

They have changed the rule recently so the team commiting the foul doesn't get the advantange of the other team being temporarily down to 10 men.

2 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

They have changed the rule recently so the team commiting the foul doesn't get the advantange of the other team being temporarily down to 10 men.

Didn't know

All season with my team

The players who recieve treatment on the pitch have still being told to leave and await a signal to re-enter

This has happened all season in more or less every game

Is it just the senior game this is happening?

2 hours ago, Froggie said:

You know we just beat Utd, we take 10 points from last 5 games, which is the best form in the league, we get to a cup final, we perform well against Celtic .

Your entitled to your opinion but your so neg it unbelievable. Try filling your glass!!

16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

You know we just beat Utd, we take 10 points from last 5 games, which is the best form in the league, we get to a cup final, we perform well against Celtic .

Your entitled to your opinion but your so neg it unbelievable. Try filling your glass!!

How very gracious of you to entitle me to my own opinion. I don't understand about filling my glass, I only assume its a reference to water ?

Recent league form has been markedly improved (albeit from previously disastrous), but  beating a Welsh league team and collapsing at Celtic could hardly be considered heroic. If that pleases you, so be it.  I will concede that survival is a possibility at present, I just happen to think it wont happen, is that ok with you and some others ?. I will be perfectly happy to be proved wrong in this case.

3 minutes ago, Froggie said:

How very gracious of you to entitle me to my own opinion. I don't understand about filling my glass, I only assume its a reference to water ?

Recent league form has been markedly improved (albeit from previously disastrous), but  beating a Welsh league team and collapsing at Celtic could hardly be considered heroic. If that pleases you, so be it.  I will concede that survival is a possibility at present, I just happen to think it wont happen, is that ok with you and some others ?. I will be perfectly happy to be proved wrong in this case.

Referring to " permanently being half full on here"

As again above shows

48 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Being the first team to score at Celtic Park since November, and the first team to hold a halftime lead there for two seasons should tell you how strong they are, if their record of 26 wins and 2 draws from 28 league games was a bit difficult for you to assess, so our collapse against a team worlds ahead of us is not a stick most fans would use to beat the team.

The New Saints, on the other hand, may be a Welsh Premier League team, but they hold the world record for consecutive competitive wins (set this season), and played in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, negotiating one round safely before going out to a team still in Europe, in the Europa League - after securing a very creditable draw in the the first leg. But let's belittle that result as well.

You think survival won't happen. Not for you the joys of the bandwagon created by a great run of form. No, you'd rather wait with anticipation on a collapse you seem almost to be willing to happen.

Takes all sorts. Good luck to you.

Edited by Soctty

A tough fixture and a great result for us last night. I thought the team displayed great resilience towards the end when United were hammering us with anything they could. A huge improvement on earlier in the season when we would've crumbled easily.

I thought young Stevie and Lewis were outstanding, being everywhere & fighting for every ball which is exactly what they should be doing when we're in this predicament.

The only downside really was the big goalie who i thought looked ropey with his decision making, kicking and flapping at crosses etc. That needs to be sorted before it costs us valuable points!

Special mention for Gary Irivne also. After a horrendous start to middle of the season he's been excellent the last few outings!

We might do this by the way and what a achievement it would be!! COYS.