Scottish Cup Quarter Final Draw

TopCat

The fundamental objective in a game of football is to score more goals than the opposition.

That is not the same as outscoring the opposition by the maximum possible number of goals. 

In a league game you would be entitled to do so because there may be a point where goal difference is an issue, but in a cup game there is no justification.

If you are, say, one or two ahead, going for more would be a good idea; because the other team might start scoring and get back into it  

However, if you are into the last ten minutes and you are, say, four ahead, that game is over, the winner has been established. Acknowledge that, play the game out and move on. 

No one is there to be humiliated to to humiliate anyone else. 

25 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

like i said in a previous post, we can avoid the heavy defeat by simply fielding a youth side and the supporters boycotting the game

Aye we could cower under the bedsheets at home as you suggest and avoid the big scary team or we could simply act like men and meet the challenge head on and recognise that this is not life or death.

Either way we should file your post under the heading "laughable".

58 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

like i said in a previous post, we can avoid the heavy defeat by simply fielding a youth side and the supporters boycotting the game

That's a horrendous notion and would fully see me wanting JR to GTF if he even considered doing this. 

The day a St Mirren side goes into any match -  and particularly a cup tie - with a deliberately weakend team out of fear of a shoeing is the day we should all just chuck it. 

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

A Sellik supporting mate tells me he played a full strength team against Albion Rovers in the cup. The only reason I can see him making changes is to give squad members, such as Ciftci etc? some action. A big team manager has a big squad, and guys looking to get a game. Maybe to keep a happy squad he'll give fringe players a shot? 

My point is it would make much more sense for him to give fringe players a game in the league where if they lose it won't make a blind bit of difference.  I think it's a lot more likely he'll play his strongest possible 11 for cup games like he did against ICT, Albion Rovers etc.  I never understand why people would think he would play any sort of weakened/ rotated squad in a single round knock out competition when the league is already more or less won.

4 hours ago, car-d bud said:

don't agree with that, we`d have half a chance away to either dunfermlione/Hamilton/partick and confident we`d beat rangers at home............Sevco must be most relieved club they`ve avoided celtic

All those teams would be the favourite against us, to be honest I think you're comment is wishful thinking.  We've been lucky in the cup so far but just needs our league form team to show up on the day and we'd be out.  Let's face it we're not going to win the Scottish cup so a big payday is best.  Hamilton and Dunfermline have already beaten us this season, so why would we think it would be any less? Would much rather get gubbed off Celtic for decent money that in front of 2,000 fans in Hamilton! 

Some on the posts on here are laughable! People running scared of playing Celtic.  

Eh it's Celtic, not bloody Bayern Munich! They're not invincible, they've had a couple of shaky 1 - Nil wins this season and a few lucky results.  Anything can happen over 90 minutes, we go out and do our best with our best team of players.  Yes likely we'll get beat but so what, we have nothing to lose in this game.  The financial rewards can hopefully go towards building a strong campaign next season from wherever we are.  Maybe part of it can go into some kind of avoid relegation bonus as well, who knows.  

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

All those teams would be the favourite against us, to be honest I think you're comment is wishful thinking.  We've been lucky in the cup so far but just needs our league form team to show up on the day and we'd be out.  Let's face it we're not going to win the Scottish cup so a big payday is best.  Hamilton and Dunfermline have already beaten us this season, so why would we think it would be any less? Would much rather get gubbed off Celtic for decent money that in front of 2,000 fans in Hamilton! 

Eh???

Jack Ross' Alloa gave Celtic one of their toughest matches of the season in the League Cup back in September at Celtic Park. It took Celtic until the 83rd minute to score, and Craig Gordon was very fortunate to avoid a straight red card in the first half.

JR's tactics were spot on that night in nullifying Celtic to a far greater extent than Aberdeen, Sevco and co have managed since. 

Jack Ross' tactics actually work better against better opposition. In saying that, we will get gubbed. Celtic are head and shoulders above any other Scottish team. That's a simple fact. Under Rodgers they have only shown a lackadaisical approach once. It cost them 2 points. They won't do it again this season. As for fielding a shadow side. NO CHANCE! It's more likely to happen in the league as it's already won.

We will be beaten but let's do it in style by fielding our team. Take it on the chin and move on. Perhaps some will shine and gain confidence from going toe to toe with the undisputed best team in the country on their home patch.

Can't really see any negatives to the draw.

If we are going to win the cup chances are we would need to beat Celtic on the way.

If, as more than likely, we get thrashed, we earn a few quid and we concentrate on the league.

Bring it on.

56 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

My point is it would make much more sense for him to give fringe players a game in the league where if they lose it won't make a blind bit of difference.  I think it's a lot more likely he'll play his strongest possible 11 for cup games like he did against ICT, Albion Rovers etc.  I never understand why people would think he would play any sort of weakened/ rotated squad in a single round knock out competition when the league is already more or less won.

Rodgers won't play a weakened team in the league, even with it won - he'll want to go the entire season undefeated. My hope is that he thinks using the cup to give fringe players a game would still see his team strong enough to win at home against lower league opponents, and I believe that from our POV, that would give us a chance of avoiding something of a doing. Call it anything you want, defeatist, scared - I don't care. I don't want to see us getting a tanking, and I fear a full-strength Celtic with the right attitude would administer a tanking. The thought of an on-form Scott Sinclair running at our defence and making chances for Dembele and Co scares the shite out of me.

Edited by pozbaird

33 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Rodgers won't play a weakened team in the league, even with it won - he'll want to go the entire season undefeated. My hope is that he thinks using the cup to give fringe players a game would still see his team strong enough to win at home against lower league opponents, and I believe that from our POV, that would give us a chance of avoiding something of a doing. Call it anything you want, defeatist, scared - I don't care. I don't want to see us getting a tanking, and I fear a full-strength Celtic with the right attitude would administer a tanking. The thought of an on-form Scott Sinclair running at our defence and making chances for Dembele and Co scares the shite out of me.

Look at what they've done to teams in their league all season , we would be hammered , it is what it is, a great pay day.

The real downside to the draw will be the tabloids putting their best Erin Brockovich on it to find out who in the St Mirren team is a Celtic fan or even shock horror a Sevco fan, to add some extra spice to the tie..........we might even get the bombshell that one of our players is the grandson of blah blah blah.

Bring on the lazy journalism. :o

8 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

Will give you the excuse of being young. It's a one off quarter final. Yes I think we will lose but also we are capable of scoring . I'm going. 

8 hours ago, div said:

Can't really see any negatives to the draw.

If we are going to win the cup chances are we would need to beat Celtic on the way.

If, as more than likely, we get thrashed, we earn a few quid and we concentrate on the league.

Bring it on.

Another upside is that it should give the dressing room a huge lift. I'm sure that a lot of our new signings will be desperate to play at Parkhead in front of a huge crowd and receive media attention. This could help our league campaign.