Latest Scores

FTOF

Agree with your latest post, above, Slarti…

However… I was torn by a moral dilemma last night when considering the reception Engerland’s players got from the Hungarian “children”, at their latest match.

it was almost as if I’d wished engerland had f**ked Hungary and not the other way round.

Uncomfortable.

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

Agree with your latest post, above, Slarti…

However… I was torn by a moral dilemma last night when considering the reception Engerland’s players got from the Hungarian “children”, at their latest match.

it was almost as if I’d wished engerland had f**ked Hungary and not the other way round.

Uncomfortable.

Agreed, a ludicrous idea, every child accompanied by a racist adult, genius. 

Wasn't there a similar thing happened in the not too distant past, not sure what country, can't be arsed checking. 

Agreed, a ludicrous idea, every child accompanied by a racist adult, genius. 
Wasn't there a similar thing happened in the not too distant past, not sure what country, can't be arsed checking. 

Has it not happened at certain domestic matches in England when teams took the knee?

The problem is that I wouldn't think that they could prove that was why the booing occurred. It could be claimed they were booing their own players for not doing it, or any other reason at all.

18 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Has it not happened at certain domestic matches in England when teams took the knee?

The problem is that I wouldn't think that they could prove that was why the booing occurred. It could be claimed they were booing their own players for not doing it, or any other reason at all.

Aw…. C’mon….!

Poor engerland, surely?

Aw…. C’mon….!

Poor engerland, surely?
Booing a national anthem, for example, is quite obvious, but booing when two groups are doing different things - how can it be proven what action, if any, is being booed?

Eastern European countries are decades behind Western ones in things like racism, they'll get there though, eventually. Not that Western ones are perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, aye, poor Engerlund.

32 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Booing a national anthem, for example, is quite obvious, but booing when two groups are doing different things - how can it be proven what action, if any, is being booed?

Eastern European countries are decades behind Western ones in things like racism, they'll get there though, eventually. Not that Western ones are perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.

To put it in a different context. A number of West European countries had colonies across the globe and through this a greater number of non white players in their ranks. The Eastern European countries didn’t and don’t.  Doesn’t make it right.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Aw…. C’mon….!

Poor engerland, surely?

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

I was just aiming for irony…

Poor engerland.

To put it in a different context. A number of West European countries had colonies across the globe and through this a greater number of non white players in their ranks. The Eastern European countries didn’t and don’t.  Doesn’t make it right.
That's not a different context, that's just an possible explanation for the point I made. As everyone (I assume) knows about colonialism and the associated immigration, I didn't see the need to include it and waste my time typing it. Having to type this reply has now negated that time saving exercise, so thanks for that.

52 minutes ago, Slarti said:

That's not a different context, that's just an possible explanation for the point I made. As everyone (I assume) knows about colonialism and the associated immigration, I didn't see the need to include it and waste my time typing it. Having to type this reply has now negated that time saving exercise, so thanks for that.

Nonsense. Context is everything and the context here is the history and experiences of the populations  involved and how it will take longer to assimilate and change attitudes towards people with a different skin colour. We still have trouble in the context of two Christian sects who’s supposed adherents find it difficult to bury their past and , to a lesser extent, present difficulties even in a much more secular environment. In South Africa where 85% of the population is black and a further number describe themselves as Indian , people are still adjusting to changing circumstances. Speak there with people from each population group and you will find racism in each. History was white rule, context is the present reality which was born out of the past.

Nonsense. Context is everything and the context here is the history and experiences of the populations  involved and how it will take longer to assimilate and change attitudes towards people with a different skin colour. We still have trouble in the context of two Christian sects who’s supposed adherents find it difficult to bury their past and , to a lesser extent, present difficulties even in a much more secular environment. In South Africa where 85% of the population is black and a further number describe themselves as Indian , people are still adjusting to changing circumstances. Speak there with people from each population group and you will find racism in each. History was white rule, context is the present reality which was born out of the past.
Oh, FFS. How can it be a "different" context when I never put any context in my post (due to the aforementioned "everyone already knows" situation)?

15 minutes ago, Slarti said:
22 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Oh, FFS. How can it be a "different" context when I never put any context in my post (due to the aforementioned "everyone already knows" situation)?

Whatever as they say. Whatever.

Context is conditioned by the history

It is the here and now of the impact

in this case - less contact @ less assimilation - more what we regard as outdated behaviours 

I attended an International Football Match in Durban , Kwa Zulu Natal just before the World Cup in S Korea and I think Japan. South Africa were going.

The match was played at The Natal Sharks Stadium (Rugby and white) the crowd was 99% black. One man, one vote had happened some years earlier but Whites did not attend. A ticket cost around £1. Friends , both black and white, asked me if I knew what I was doing and how the crowd would be made up. I did and went. It was a thrill to hear the people there chanting Zulu and cheering on SA. If I recall correctly there were very few white players in the team. Thankfully both football and rugby have moved on over there with talent being the defining feature. East Europeans ( and I have a number of east Europeans in my family) aren’t there yet, just as Scotland isn’t there yet with the Sectarian thing.