Sign in to follow this  
freethinker

St Mirren v Dundee United Challenge Cup FINAL Fir Park 25/3/17

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

From today's Sun

"A dour game had gone to extra-time when the moment came. Ian Redford crossed from the left and Ferguson hit the back of the net with a left-foot shot, but the linesman flagged Kevin Gallacher offside.

Moments later, Saints’ Ian Ferguson won the Cup for the Paisley men.

Fergie said: “It was a perfectly good goal at Hampden. (no it wasn't) It was claimed Kevin was offside (he was) but he was lying on the ground when I hit the ball. (no he wasn't, he was still on his feet however him being prone or prostrate was irrelevant).

“Ian Redford’s cross had come past him and the interfering with play rule didn’t exist then (yes it did) and I stuck the ball away with my left foot. Referee Kenny Hope gave the goal (no he didn't) but the linesman chopped it off for whatever reason (the reason being there was only one opponent between Gallacher and the goal line).

“It was proved afterwards that the goal should have stood. (proved by whom exactly?)"

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Iain, still bitter 30 years later.

The person who was offside was Ian Redford when he received the ball, according to Kenny Hope.

Edited by smcc

12 minutes ago, smcc said:

The person who was offside was Ian Redford when he received the ball, according to Kenny Hope.

I'm confused. Why is Ferguson saying the interfering with play rule didn't exist then. I'm not saying whether it did or it didn't, but if it didn't as Ferguson says, then Gallacher was DEFINITELY offside. It would only have been the interfering with play rule that could possibly have meant the goal would stand and even that would be highly debatable as I'd say Gallacher definitely was. Thick khunt.

if after the event Hope's rationale for disallowing the goal was flawed it doesn't change the fact that Gallacher was offside.

7 hours ago, shull said:

And for those who have never been to a Match sober. 

Get out yir bed 

Get tae the Pub 

And finally, attend the Game. 

All afore Lunch 

Lunch? Haven't got time for that. Too much drinking to be done :) :cheers

5 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Might get a carry oot for that train we're on before breakfast

:withstupid

It's a final. Personally speaking i drove to Coatbridge and Easter Road without touching a drop for previous rounds but intend to make a day of it Saturday. Most folk don't drink at breakfast time regularly but finals don't come round very often so maybe they can be excused this weekend. Each to their own of course.

7 minutes ago, john scott said:

It's a final. Personally speaking i drove to Coatbridge and Easter Road without touching a drop for previous rounds but intend to make a day of it Saturday. Most folk don't drink at breakfast time regularly but finals don't come round very often so maybe they can be excused this weekend. Each to their own of course.

Just winding up Shull and FS. I'll wait till spoons before I indulge. Wouldn't dream of touching a drop before 11am

:withstupid

unless I was really thirsty

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I'm confused. Why is Ferguson saying the interfering with play rule didn't exist then. I'm not saying whether it did or it didn't, but if it didn't as Ferguson says, then Gallacher was DEFINITELY offside. It would only have been the interfering with play rule that could possibly have meant the goal would stand and even that would be highly debatable as I'd say Gallacher definitely was. Thick khunt.

if after the event Hope's rationale for disallowing the goal was flawed it doesn't change the fact that Gallacher was offside.

Hope's rationale was not flawed. Ian Reford was offside when he received the ball before crossing it for Ferguson to "score".

On the offside goal, even if you take Ian Redford out of the equation, Kevin Gallacher is 100% offside.

It's laughable that anyone still thinks otherwise, especially a guy who played football for a living.

Reason: Campbell Money being off his line is the part that people seemingly don't understand. The goalkeeper is usually the last man, so only one defender usually comes into the the reckoning in offside decisions. However, for the attacker to be onside he needs two opponents to be further up the park than him. It doesn't matter whether any of those opponents happen to be a goalkeeper, or not.

Law 11:

A player is in an offside position if: any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half, and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

offside.jpg

3 hours ago, smcc said:

Hope's rationale was not flawed. Ian Reford was offside when he received the ball before crossing it for Ferguson to "score".

I'm. Or saying it was. I'm saying why is the thick khunt Ferguson saying the interfering with play rule didn't exist then, when it doesn't suit his argument to say that i.e. If it didn't exist it is indisputable that Gallacher was offside.

if Ferguson had said it did exist at least that would have made sense.

Might give it a miss then as I'm not supporting a pub that doesn't do anything to deserve it.
They'll be other options.
It's a distance from where I'm staying anyway.

They probably will put it on for you if you decide to go along.

They don't even have saints tv anymore which is a shame as it's very cheap to buy & is a no brainer for a ST.MIRRN pub.

I will be over in a few weeks, will stop in for old times sake but that's about it.

25 minutes ago, Stevie88 said:

They probably will put it on for you if you decide to go along.

They don't even have saints tv anymore which is a shame as it's very cheap to buy & is a no brainer for a ST.MIRRN pub.

I will be over in a few weeks, will stop in for old times sake but that's about it.

The Facebook page says "reply within 24 hours"............................messaged them on Sunday just after 6:00pm :blink:

There's a carnival in Los Christianos so might go through anyway but, like you say, will probably be my last.

Pity, they must have done ok from Saints supporters over the years.

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Might give it a miss then as I'm not supporting a pub that doesn't do anything to deserve it.

They'll be other options.

It's a distance from where I'm staying anyway.

It will be just like being in Scotland for you. A distance away and you cannie be arsed going. A home from home. :booty

450 tickets left.

Ticket office is open 10am till 2pm today then again 5pm to 7pm

Reminder that if you can't make it to the ticket office you can still buy tickets online then email [email protected] with your order number and details and they will arrange for the tickets to be available for uplift from Fir Park on the day of the match.

Only realised yesterday that I've mistakenly been given 7 tickets in the Phil O'Donnell Stand instead of the Davie Cooper stand. Was doubting myself that I asked for the right stand on the phone but they've actually written Davie Cooper on the envelope. Not a big deal but we're row E seat 100-something, sounds like we'll be near the front and down the end towards the Dundee Utd fans :thumbsdown Someone probably has my 7 tickets in the Davie Cooper stand when they wanted to be in Phil O'Donnel :rolleyes:

Only realised yesterday that I've mistakenly been given 7 tickets in the Phil O'Donnell Stand instead of the Davie Cooper stand. Was doubting myself that I asked for the right stand on the phone but they've actually written Davie Cooper on the envelope. Not a big deal but we're row E seat 100-something, sounds like we'll be near the front and down the end towards the Dundee Utd fans :thumbsdown Someone probably has my 7 tickets in the Davie Cooper stand when they wanted to be in Phil O'Donnel :rolleyes:

The stand doesn't go the full length of the park. I'm sure you will be midway between centre spot and the goals. Not a bad view from the stand as even the front row is about 10 feet off the ground.

2 minutes ago, mckellag said:

Just been past Buddies in Tenerife and the board outside saying game showing at 1230 on Saturday. 

Brilliant

Now hide the Board afore Smokie Dunderheid gets there.:D