Cup final display - Updates in OP

Doakes

Getting this back on topic. 

After a lot of discussion and pondering, a plan is in place. We're placing the order asap, as most of our material will be coming from Poland. 

As promised, I'll happily post up receipts, once rates have been agreed with the supplier. 

A huge thanks to everyone who has donated. Honestly blown away by the generosity. Our group are determined to give everyone (even the doubters) something to be proud of. As a team on the way to fan ownership, I feel this is a great example of what can be done when our supporters come together as one. 

Not giving away many details about the display. One thing we can confirm, it's not a card display. It also won't be a dig at our opponents. It's been designed to capture the spirit of our club. 

This is by far the most ambitious plan we've ever put together. Anyone who wants to help can get in touch through Twitter, or via the email address below.

Will update the thread as we go along. 

Email: [email protected] 

Edited by Doakes

8 hours ago, Doakes said:

Getting this back on topic. 

After a lot of discussion and pondering, a plan is in place. We're placing the order asap, as most of our material will be coming from Poland. 

As promised, I'll happily post up receipts, once rates have been agreed with the supplier. 

A huge thanks to everyone who has donated. Honestly blown away by the generosity. Our group are determined to give everyone (even the doubters) something to be proud of. As a team on the way to fan ownership, I feel this is a great example of what can be done when our supporters come together as one. 

Not giving away many details about the display. One thing we can confirm, it's not a card display. It also won't be a dig at our opponents. It's been designed to capture the spirit of our club. 

This is by far the most ambitious plan we've ever put together. Anyone who wants to help can get in touch through Twitter, or via the email address on our gofundme page. Will also regularly update this thread with any developments. 

Good work, although if it's shite I reserve the right to change my mind and call you names. :rolleyes:

Just made a donation to the fund page every wee bit helps ..............:P

Made a plea though to the team to Please retain league status and push on......I fear what may happen should the horror of relegation come upon us....so lets all get behind the team in the league games and save our Club the Ignominy of this horrible thought.... Forever a bud come what may and Come on ye saints

11 minutes ago, freethinker said:

Naw, let the rest have the choice of where they wish to sit. 

It is incredible that they are now using it to sort out the "true believers", who seem to care more about what it looks like on TV, from the rest of us who are just happy to be in a Cup final in the first place.

This should have been done through the likes of SMISA with a vote from the fans about whether to have this. It would have been IMO the bare minimum of decency and respect. Had I been on the losing side of that vote then I would have been more accepting of it. Instead we have so-called "superfans" holding the rest of us to ransom regarding where we sit and talking us down as somehow less supportive of the team.

Edited by oaksoft

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It is incredible that they are now using it to sort out the "true believers", who seem to care more about what it looks like on TV, from the rest of us who are just happy to be in a Cup final in the first place.

This should have been done through the likes of SMISA with a vote from the fans about whether to have this. It would have been IMO the bare minimum of decency and respect. Had I been on the losing side of that vote then I would have been more accepting of it. Instead we have so-called "superfans" holding the rest of us to ransom regarding where we sit and talking us down as somehow less supportive of the team.

You were moaning that you didn't want it happening near you or having a banner over your head so they have organised to have it in a specific section so it's easy for you or others to avoid. Now you're moaning about being told where to sit.. they are going to be a section of about 100 people in a crowd of thousands of Saints fans its hardly a huge inconvience to you. No-one at any point in this thread has insinuated that people who aren't into the banners/flags/drums or whatever are any less of proper fan so stop being an arse.

1 minute ago, irvine_buddie said:

You were moaning that you didn't want it happening near you or having a banner over your head so they have organised to have it in a specific section so it's easy for you or others to avoid. Now you're moaning about being told where to sit.. they are going to be a section of about 100 people in a crowd of thousands of Saints fans its hardly a huge inconvience to you. No-one at any point in this thread has insinuated that people who aren't into the banners/flags/drums or whatever are any less of proper fan so stop being an arse.

Well said. :booty

30 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Everyone is welcome to join us. The fact that around half of the names we have are families with young children speaks volumes.

That said, we don't want to spoil the day for people who don't want their view obscured by flags, so having our own section of a couple of hundred people makes sense.

I can honestly say that once you see the display, you'll change your mind on it. It's unlike anything we've done before, on a totally different scale, thanks to the crowdfund. 

There's no right or wrong way to support St Mirren, but everyone should have the choice to support the team in their chosen way. The fact that we want to sing, wave flags... doesn't make us any better or worse than yourself. I don't understand why you're so keen to put us down. 

40 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sounds like organised fun to me. There was a chap back earlier on this thread moaning about that sort of thing. Can't remember who that was.

On 20/02/2017 at 0:43 AM, oaksoft said:

Where would we be without people like you trying to organise our fun eh?:D

You are right though. I am positive. Positive that I absolutely HATE organised stuff like this.

Looks like you are almost at your target funding though so it would appear I am going to be powerless to stop you people obscuring my view with an enormous painted bedsheet. Hopefully you will tell me what stand you will be in and I can buy a ticket for another one? I promise to tell you what your flag looks like. This is a win-win I think.

2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Why don't you look at Doake's response to the same post of mine to see how to respond to people's legitimate complaints in a better manner.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Everyone is welcome to join us. The fact that around half of the names we have are families with young children speaks volumes.

That said, we don't want to spoil the day for people who don't want their view obscured by flags, so having our own section of a couple of hundred people makes sense.

I can honestly say that once you see the display, you'll change your mind on it. It's unlike anything we've done before, on a totally different scale, thanks to the crowdfund. 

There's no right or wrong way to support St Mirren, but everyone should have the choice to support the team in their chosen way. The fact that we want to sing, wave flags... doesn't make us any better or worse than yourself. I don't understand why you're so keen to put us down. 

Mainly for one reason only. That nobody had the common decency to ask anybody else first or explain exactly what they had in mind.

That's it. All this could easily have been avoided.

As for the details, it sounds like you have taken on board the comment about spoiling the view for other people and intend to make sure that doesn't happen so that's good news and I'm happy now.

TBH if that had been made clear at the start I almost certainly wouldn't have had any issues at all.

It's getting the big build up, that much is for sure... 'never attempted anything on this scale', 'like nothing we've ever seen before'. I'm expecting the London Olympics opening ceremony meets Edinburgh New Year fireworks. This better be good. If this is a bedsheet or some spotty herberts waving flags, I might be forced to change channels and watch a repeat of 'Homes Under the Hammer' instead.

I'll get some cheese 'n' onion crisps in and a can of fizzy pop, in case it's good.