Cup final display - Updates in OP

Doakes

34 minutes ago, div said:

Happy to support this as much as we can lads, good effort!

Have made a donation on behalf of the website.

Absolutely brilliant! Cheers div

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So in other words you come up with an idea and if we dont like it then by insinuation we are not supporting the team to the best of our ability? Deary me. I am not rejiectng the team. I am rejecting your idea. Just like I did four years ago.

I didn't say you were rejecting the team... Don't want to take this any further off topic. 

(I wasn't involved in the cup final display 4 years ago. Perhaps you've got me mixed up with someone else)

Thanks for all the positive replies. Will update the thread as we go along. 

38 minutes ago, freethinker said:

Why not thank all Saints fans for their input, positive or not? 

We are one. 

Why does everything need to be a fight on here? Can't we all just get along? :(

If you don't like the idea and don't want to participate, that's absolutely fine. Fan displays aren't for everyone. At Kilmarnock we bought £80 worth of inflatable pandas, cows, beach balls, streamers and balloons. All the weans loved it. There's nothing sinister about our intentions, just a group of St Mirren fans who want to make a cup final memorable. 

Thanks to everyone who's replied, donated and gave feedback. We genuinely do take it all on board. 

13 minutes ago, Doakes said:

If you don't like the idea and don't want to participate, that's absolutely fine. Fan displays aren't for everyone. At Kilmarnock we bought £80 worth of inflatable pandas, cows, beach balls, streamers and balloons. All the weans loved it. There's nothing sinister about our intentions, just a group of St Mirren fans who want to make a cup final memorable. 

Thanks to everyone who's replied, donated and gave feedback. We genuinely do take it all on board. 

Because you have come on here, announced what is going to happen and then started to talk in disparaging terms about those who disagree with your idea. You could have handled this better.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Where does he say or even insinuate this Oaky ?  

You dont like the idea ,We get that . But he and others like him are trying something . In my opinion that should be applauded . if you are not a fan of it , dont participate but to denigrate other peoples well intentioned efforts does you no credit at all.

It's pretty clear to me bud.

Perhaps in retrospect he might have been better off not coming on here and announcing what was going to happen.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that this sort of approach would raise some hackles.

6 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I think its a great idea and anyone that is willing to give their own time and ideas to help create a bit of excitement for these occasions deserves applauded :happyclapper

For those that are rejecting them, suggest you're alternatives?

It will be my sons first time at a cup final and it wont matter to him that its 'only the challenge cup', if we lift the trophy or not i'm sure it will be a day he'll remember.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's pretty clear to me bud.

Perhaps in retrospect he might have been better off not coming on here and announcing what was going to happen.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that this sort of approach would raise some hackles.

I`ve just gone back and re-read every single one of his posts on this topic and i`m sorry i cant find a single one which is disparaging or anything near it. Far from it , i think the overall tone of his posts here have been positive. He acknowledged the mistakes made in the past , thanked those who have supported the idea , even acknowledged there are those who dont get it ( without abusing them) and restated the groups aims to hopefully add a bit of colour to what , lets be honest , can be a pretty drab occurrence (Supporting Saints !!)

I think you must be seeing something here that i`m not. 

I don't see the problem in supporters trying something like this. I was happy to hold up my card at Hampden in one hand in 2013, and took a photo of the Saints fans with my camera in the other hand. The photo turned out really well. It 'inconvenienced' me for about a minute prior to the match.

Clearly, the issue is that without the numbers or resources anywhere near the likes of Celtic's Green Brigade or Aberdeen's Red Ultras - who did a stunning display for a European game a few seasons ago - St Mirren's efforts in the past, to my eyes at least, have tried to do the kind of things those groups do, but it won't work properly without 20,000 fans and thousands of pounds thrown at it.

If this idea is a big flag that gets passed overhead - it could be used again by permanently spreading it across the seats of the now mostly unused North Stand. My input would be to steer clear of any Bells B&Q Ramsdens Petrofac Irn Bru Colts Welsh & Norn Iron Diddies Diddy Cup mention... and just make it something generic relating to St Mirren that can be reused.

I might watch this final on TV, unless I have a golf game arranged, will look for the banner with interest, and if anyone is shoving a pen-knife through it and a wee head pops through in anger, I'll assume it's oaksoft and not freethinker shull.

16 hours ago, HSS said:

Black is not a background display colour.

Depends how you use it. If you coral all the moaning faced I don't want to do anything ever lot into the black area it'd work a treat.
Here's our Cup Final opponents showing how to use it.

utdcupfinaldisplay.thumb.jpg.f2b81018ae1011a73b3c5ee06135bf93.jpg

Honest opinion.
Many, many of our fans just are never happy with anything but can't think of anything more constructive. We're not alone big clubs have it too. Chelsea are a good example, they can't do a display to save themselves because too many say Ahh faak that mate I aint looking stupid for no one now let me back to shouting abuse at the players for not winning the league yet.
The likes of Motherwell can do it because they seem to have enough people with the will....they are the Liverpool, the Aberdeen, those that just want to do a little something special for their team on the kind day we get to enjoy all too seldom.

We probably get the team our fans deserve. 

45 minutes ago, Katie Bear said:

Depends how you use it. If you coral all the moaning faced I don't want to do anything ever lot into the black area it'd work a treat.
Here's our Cup Final opponents showing how to use it.

utdcupfinaldisplay.thumb.jpg.f2b81018ae1011a73b3c5ee06135bf93.jpg

Honest opinion.
Many, many of our fans just are never happy with anything but can't think of anything more constructive. We're not alone big clubs have it too. Chelsea are a good example, they can't do a display to save themselves because too many say Ahh faak that mate I aint looking stupid for no one now let me back to shouting abuse at the players for not winning the league yet.
The likes of Motherwell can do it because they seem to have enough people with the will....they are the Liverpool, the Aberdeen, those that just want to do a little something special for their team on the kind day we get to enjoy all too seldom.

We probably get the team our fans deserve. 

This is the problem right here - if we are not for you then we are against you.

Some of us are happy to be in a final and want to go along and enjoy the day. We don't need to wave cards to enjoy the day. We don't need to hoist 30 foot flags above our heads for the day to be memorable either.

How on earth is it possible for party people like you, who want to organise the shit out of everything, to have such a basic lack of understanding of others who don't want to be bothered by your ideas? How can you possibly conclude that our rejection of your ideas makes us moaning faced bastards.

Are you just incapable of seeing things from the point of view of others or are you just so obsessed by what you want that you don't care about anyone else?

Edited by oaksoft

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This is the problem right here - if we are not for you then we are against you.

Some of us are happy to be in a final and want to go along and enjoy the day. We don't need to wave cards to enjoy the day. We don't need to hoist 30 foot flags above our heads for the day to be memorable either.

How on earth is it possible for party people like you, who want to organise the shit out of everything, to have such a basic lack of understanding of others who don't want to be bothered by your ideas? How can you possibly conclude that our rejection of your ideas makes us moaning faced bastards.

Are you just incapable of seeing things from the point of view of others or are you just so obsessed by what you want that you don't care about anyone else?

TBH you are a moaning faced b'strd. :lol:

11 hours ago, buddiecat said:

If anyone starts passing a giant bedsheet over my head i will rip it, absolute nonsense and in no way helps the team. "go fund me" are you providing receipts and a planned budget for this, what will you do with any over-funding ?

Chances are, 10 minutes into the game you'll be demanding the feckin' thing is brought back to obscure what's happening on the park.

Edited by stlucifer

I was at Old Trafford last year when they named the Bobby Carlton stand against Everton. Every seat had a plastic bag on it that we were instructed to raise when Bobby Charlton came out the tunnel. 

I meant he was greeted in near silence as nobody could clap while holding up the bag and nobody in the ground could see the name being unveiled.   

In my opinion card displays are for the benefit of the TV audience at home rather than the fans that are there to watch and get behind the team. 

I'm all for people trying to do something special to encourage the team but I'm not convinced a card display is it. 

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I don't see the problem in supporters trying something like this. I was happy to hold up my card at Hampden in one hand in 2013, and took a photo of the Saints fans with my camera in the other hand. The photo turned out really well. It 'inconvenienced' me for about a minute prior to the match.

Clearly, the issue is that without the numbers or resources anywhere near the likes of Celtic's Green Brigade or Aberdeen's Red Ultras - who did a stunning display for a European game a few seasons ago - St Mirren's efforts in the past, to my eyes at least, have tried to do the kind of things those groups do, but it won't work properly without 20,000 fans and thousands of pounds thrown at it.

If this idea is a big flag that gets passed overhead - it could be used again by permanently spreading it across the seats of the now mostly unused North Stand. My input would be to steer clear of any Bells B&Q Ramsdens Petrofac Irn Bru Colts Welsh & Norn Iron Diddies Diddy Cup mention... and just make it something generic relating to St Mirren that can be reused.

I might watch this final on TV, unless I have a golf game arranged, will look for the banner with interest, and if anyone is shoving a pen-knife through it and a wee head pops through in anger, I'll assume it's oaksoft and not freethinker shull.

I won't be ripping anything. Shull can do that himself.

I just don't want my view of the team coming out spoiled by someone who is only doing this so it gets picked up by the TV and in 30 years time he can say to his grandkids "I did that".

Maybe Saints fans are "crap" at this because they see straight through the attention seeking bullshit.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I won't be ripping anything. Shull can do that himself.

I just don't want my view of the team coming out spoiled by someone who is only doing this so it gets picked up by the TV and in 30 years time he can say to his grandkids "I did that".

Maybe Saints fans are "crap" at this because they see straight through the attention seeking bullshit.

I doubt anyone will give a fcuk in thirty years time. The STV sports report never gave a fcuk tonight about this glamour competition and never even mentioned the semi final results at all. A Scottish rugby chap has a sore ankle apparently. They mentioned that, and Sevco being shite.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A desperate need to do something which gets the attention of others. It's a bit cringeworthy TBH.

Seriously mate, what a load of bull. Ive read some crap on here but you are definitely taking the biscuit!!

The guys offering his time to put something together for a special occasion that doesn't come around very often. Is a flag being passed over the fans for 5 mins before KO really going to upset anyone that much.

If you're not happy with this then im sure there will be sections in the stand you can sit away from where it will pass.

No ones forcing you to sit near where the fans want to express themselves this way.

Its a cup final, should be a good occasion and all some folk are interested in is taking digs at others.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I doubt anyone will give a fcuk in thirty years time. The STV sports report never gave a fcuk tonight about this glamour competition and never even mentioned the semi final results at all. A Scottish rugby chap has a sore ankle apparently. They mentioned that, and Sevco being shite.

Well I never!

News to me....

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Sevco being shite.

They are however absolutely brilliant at cup draws.
Notice they've landed a home tie the last 12 times they've been drawn out in cup competition.
58ab6941b0d8b_RangersCupDraws.jpg.217fac4515485f6c79d0e2b313b88cc4.jpg
The chances of that are over 4000-1
40k ticket sales a time.
Convenient cash injections :rolleyes: Some would be suspicious