NEW SONGS SUNG IN THE STANDS

Why would you say that ? It was one of St Mirren's most popular songs. Are you denying that ? Don't tell me that you would deny that St Mirren were founded on Irish Catholic. They were one of the handfull that have their roots in Dublin along with Celtic, Hibernian and Dundee United.Named after the famous Irish Monk St Mirin. There's no harm in knowing how and why the club began roots. You seem to be saying that a person would get his head kicked in for what reason ???? Please explain.

What roots exactly? Yeah we are named after St Mirin an Irish monk who lived 100's of years earlier but what is the Irish influence in the actual creation if our club? Were the founders Irish, was it for benefit of Irish immigrants or such like? Apologies for going off topic curiosity n all that!

22 hours ago, Sandy said:

Why would you say that ? It was one of St Mirren's most popular songs. Are you denying that ? Don't tell me that you would deny that St Mirren were founded on Irish Catholic. They were one of the handfull that have their roots in Dublin along with Celtic, Hibernian and Dundee United.Named after the famous Irish Monk St Mirin. There's no harm in knowing how and why the club began roots. You seem to be saying that a person would get his head kicked in for what reason ???? Please explain.

http://www.stmirren.info/formation.html

St Mirren Football Club was formed in 1877, playing their first football match on the 6th October 1877 at their home ground at Shortroods.

The club was formed by members of the St Mirren Cricket Club, who also participated in Rugby Football.
The cricket club had been formed in 1875 and also played their home matches at Shortroods.
The first Association Football match played by St Mirren included six members of the cricket team in their number.

Irish connection??????

14 hours ago, Buddy Marvellous said:

What roots exactly? Yeah we are named after St Mirin an Irish monk who lived 100's of years earlier but what is the Irish influence in the actual creation if our club? Were the founders Irish, was it for benefit of Irish immigrants or such like? Apologies for going off topic curiosity n all that!

I was talking about the actual name of the club. St Mirren was named after a Catholic Irish Priest and that is well known. I seen on another football history website that the four clubs I mentioned had the Irish connection. St Mirren's connection being the name. You can't get a better connection than to be named after one of the most famous Irish Monks that ever lived. Paisley has the proud history of having many areas named after the monk. I also mentioned that when I was aged about 6 I was taken to Love Street and that is where I heard the song Molly Malone being sung every week. I assumed there was another connection there. It's not a problem by the way and it's amazing how many people on here have jumped at the thought of an Irish connection with the club. It's simply a historical fact that the club had the connection in the name.

I was talking about the actual name of the club. St Mirren was named after a Catholic Irish Priest and that is well known. I seen on another football history website that the four clubs I mentioned had the Irish connection. St Mirren's connection being the name. You can't get a better connection than to be named after one of the most famous Irish Monks that ever lived. Paisley has the proud history of having many areas named after the monk. I also mentioned that when I was aged about 6 I was taken to Love Street and that is where I heard the song Molly Malone being sung every week. I assumed there was another connection there. It's not a problem by the way and it's amazing how many people on here have jumped at the thought of an Irish connection with the club. It's simply a historical fact that the club had the connection in the name.

Lets not turn this into some other agenda.

Firstly I have not, nor have I read or seen others on this forum 'Jump' at the thought of an Irish connection with the club.

Secondly your inference that we are somehow anti Irish is nonsense and has no place here.

I am also fascinated with St Mirin, he plays a huge part in Paisley's history but other than the name the Irish connection ends there, as far as I am aware.

There are several Scottish clubs with far stronger Irish connections, clubs set up by Irishmen for the benefit of Irish people!

40 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I didn't jump on your assertion.

I just pointed out that you're obviously trolling, because nobody could be daft enough to state that we have roots in Dublin.

Edited by FTOF

A group of young men from Paisley formed the Venus cricket club, they asked a local businessman for 

financial help, he agreed but only if they changed the name to something associated with the town, hence 

the name St Mirren, couple of years later they stopped playing cricket and took up football, the rest they say 

is history...so forget about religion or links to foreign lands it was started by people from Paisley, for the people 

of Paisley.......

On 25/02/2017 at 11:47 AM, Sandy said:

In the bad old days that was often the chant at the end of the song. It wasn't a dig at you As she wheeled her wheelbarrow through street broad and narrow singing ............

There were various endings and the most popular was OWTS but on occasions usually against the old firm when the brave boys in the North Bank were protected by the big mesh fence we would chant YGGYFHKI. I always found it highly amusing visualising Molly with her wheel barrow chanting that in her broad and narrow Streets so wind in your neck and Chill.

As for Good Old St Mirin He was a nasty piece of work torturing the poor king for not letting him spread his religious pish. I get enough nonsense from hearts fans claiming we lay down to Celtic when they lost the league. St Mirin might be a Catholic and St Mirin might even be the Patron Saint of Paisley but I hope ST MIRREN FC don't harbour any of that sectarian pish that inspired the NORTH BANK AGRRO to end sweet Molly Malone with the threat of sectarian bigots getting there heads kicked in for trying to spout their bile at love street.

Hope that explains what the terracing was like in the 70's maybe you've never heard Sweet Molly the football hooligan

Relax I'm to old to do any harm.....

:booty

For the Morton game...

Shankland was a buddie,
Now he's shite, He's Shite,
He used to be a legend,
When he played in Black and white,

But he swapped the stripes,
For Morton's hoops,
Cause he wasn't fit,
To lace the boots of,
Big John Sutton,