Saints team pic 1956

SBS

Any older buds able to identify the three guys in the middle of the front row of this pic?

Other players are:-

Lapsley, Mallan, Lornie, Neilson, Telfer, Johnstone

McGill,    ??,   ??,   ??,   MacLeod.   

Mallan = Jimmy, great grandfather of our current star Stevie.

MacLeod = Ally of Argentina '78 fame

1955-56.jpg

Looking at the team selections that season in the run-in, I would guess at Gordon Henry , Jackie Brown , Davie Laird ! The team stayed mostly the same at that period apart from 8 , 9 , 10 . Bobby Holmes and Tommy Gemmell were in and out the team too but I don't think they're in this pic !

3 hours ago, billyg said:

Looking at the team selections that season in the run-in, I would guess at Gordon Henry , Jackie Brown , Davie Laird ! The team stayed mostly the same at that period apart from 8 , 9 , 10 . Bobby Holmes and Tommy Gemmell were in and out the team too but I don't think they're in this pic !

The same Bobby Holmes that was physio 80s / 90s??

In all my days I never realised that Ally Mcleod played for Saints!!

12 minutes ago, thepaisleypanda said:

The same Bobby Holmes that was physio 80s / 90s??

The same wonderful man.

Was touted as a Scotland star of the future till he had a bad injury.  Broken ankle, IIRC.

Became a manager at Pressed Steel, where he was well-respected - especially by awe-struck, St Mirren supporting fans who arrived in his office on secondment to find out who The Boss was!  :o

He trained as a physio and did the job for a few teams...   probably as a direct result of trying to overcome his own injury

20 minutes ago, Danny said:

Ally MacLeod played for Saints in the 50s managed Scotland and has a suite named after him at Somerset Park

Noticed that yesterday.......altho it looks like Ayr aint too keen on him now.

20170225_155428.jpg

Thanks guys. I thought it was David Laird but wasn't sure. I had also worked out via team listings that the other two are either Henry and Brown or Moore and Straiton.
Not knowing what any of these guys look like I would be guessing. But that's the two options.

8 hours ago, SBS said:

Naw! 3 goals in 25 games.

You maybe thinking of Ally McLeod who played in the early 70s? 62 goals in 99 games. Most notable the day he won 4-1 at Ibrox.

That's why getting the spelling right is so important No confusion if you know your McLeod from your MacLeod :P