The Academy (Project Brave)

I believe SMISA should not be funding Coaches wages just to gain 'Elite' Status.

It could be very expensive and draining on the Club's resources. Attracting a Sponsor to fund it is one thing, keeping that Sponsor is another!

I think we should have a better (or start?) a scouting system to pick up the best local Youth players (18+), who do not need to be spoon fed and their natural talent coached out of them for years, before they reach their full potential.

I would think Elite Status, is way out of our League for the forseeable future.  and if this is Malky Mackays idea, then all the more reason to steer clear.

10 hours ago, steve_the_saint said:

So what is the criteria for gold status n what is it for elite status?

i assumed because we had gold then we would already meet the majority of criteria for elite?

Is the criteria really that different?

And why would we not want to become elite?

Are we really that far away from it now that it would require significant investment?

And what advantages would being elite bring that we don't already have? 

The full criteria for Elite Academys has not been made public yet. Perhaps the club are in possesion of the criteria now, and the measurable outcomes required to maintain the status?

you as good questions, which highlight why the club should be consulting and involving us to form an agreed opinion. If we dont know what the case is for each option, how do we know we have picked the right one?

10 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

I believe SMISA should not be funding Coaches wages just to gain 'Elite' Status.

It could be very expensive and draining on the Club's resources. Attracting a Sponsor to fund it is one thing, keeping that Sponsor is another!

I think we should have a better (or start?) a scouting system to pick up the best local Youth players (18+), who do not need to be spoon fed and their natural talent coached out of them for years, before they reach their full potential.

I would think Elite Status, is way out of our League for the forseeable future.  and if this is Malky Mackays idea, then all the more reason to steer clear.

Certainly agree with the start of your post. We definitely shouldn't be using the £2 contributions for elite status as that'll be them swallowed up for the rest of time. If we go for it we need to find another way of funding it. I've no idea what's involved as I've just ignored the whole thing as the latest rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic exercise from the SFA. Colt teams will be next.

There is an interview in the latest Black & White magazine with Allan McManus and Ross Patterson and it was mentioned we're the only team outwith the Old Firm to have gold status for the academy. Part of the criteria for platinum, which Rangers and Celtic have, is how many appearances your youngsters are making for the first team, how many international appearances they have and so on. Seems OK on paper and the first part is easy enough, however the problem with the latter is that at youth level guys playing regularly are overlooked in favour of Old Firm kids playing in the reserves who turn out to be mince when they get near the first team.

23 hours ago, Soctty said:

Aye, thanfully the main zoomer on that score has left the building. It's consistently brought players through over the years, from Stephen McGinn and Simon Lappin, all the way to McLean, McGinn, Mallan and McAllister. Even going back further, we have a track record of giving youth a chance.

Simon Lappin made his debut for St. Mirren 16 years ago, before the current "academy" was in place.

As has been mentioned, Mclean & McAllister were both picked up from Rangers' academy.

So, over the past 16 years, our own academy has managed to come up with the McGinn brothers, one of whom is now back with us, with the other playing in the Championship plus Mallan, who is still with us. Earning us paltry transfer fees.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Zoomer.

Simon Lappin made his debut for St. Mirren 16 years ago, before the current "academy" was in place.
As has been mentioned, Mclean & McAllister were both picked up from Rangers' academy.
So, over the past 16 years, our own academy has managed to come up with the McGinn brothers, one of whom is now back with us, with the other playing in the Championship plus Mallan, who is still with us. Earning us paltry transfer fees.
Zoomer.

[emoji23] Who's this angry little turd with the chip on his shoulder?

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

emoji23.png Who's this angry little turd with the chip on his shoulder?

he's had several aliases over the years... you may remember one of his first...Gary Blues.  He seems to get off on Stats and abuse...

1 hour ago, Vambo57 said:
he's had several aliases over the years... you may remember one of his first...Gary Blues.  He seems to get off on Stats and abuse...

He's not even worth replying to he's that feeble. Let him bleat way - nobody takes much notice, do they?

Edited by Soctty

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

Zoomer.

Where players started, is not where they finished, or indeed where they were fully developed for club and country!

The fact is we may not If the club decide to go for it, succeed in applying for Elite status.

so that leaves the current academy with a substantial funding cut, if that gap is not bridged we will see the supply of young talent developed by us dissapear. Whatever option is taken, the fact is the academy will need additional funding to just stand still.

would it not be a fantastic legacy to leave saints fans and generations to come, an academy where we fixed the roof whilst the sun was still keeking in, and ensured a continuous supply of young talent to step up to first team football.

can i ask, if we don't organise and help fund it, who do you think will?

Guest TPAFKATS

St. Mirren's level of involvement with Project Brave, Elite Academy or whatever the next version of the SFA's emperor's new clothes approach to shafting youth development is a decision for the club to address.

Expecting a consultation with fans on it is nonsense IMO.

18 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

St. Mirren's level of involvement with Project Brave, Elite Academy or whatever the next version of the SFA's emperor's new clothes approach to shafting youth development is a decision for the club to address.

Expecting a consultation with fans on it is nonsense IMO.

The current chairman was at pains to convince the fans at Buy The Buds meetings he would seek to involve them through Smisa on the big decisions that affect the club and the Scottish game. IMO the future of our, and the nation's youth development policy is about as big as it gets.

where would we be now if we hadn't developed our own, and hoovered up some gems from sevco etc to further develop and sell on???

Guest TPAFKATS
The current chairman was at pains to convince the fans at Buy The Buds meetings he would seek to involve them through Smisa on the big decisions that affect the club and the Scottish game. IMO the future of our, and the nation's youth development policy is about as big as it gets.
where would we be now if we hadn't developed our own, and hoovered up some gems from sevco etc to further develop and sell on???

Your post implies that I was suggesting we shouldn't have a youth policy. That's not the case.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Your post implies that I was suggesting we shouldn't have a youth policy. That's not the case.

Not the implication at all, your post suggested that the fans/smisa members/shareholders didnt have a stake in this, or indeed shouldnt be involved in the process. Quite clearly our chairman said we would be involved, consulted and kept informed. 

So far he has got nothing out of three on that front, and that is a major concern we were promised!

Guest TPAFKATS

Not the implication at all, your post suggested that the fans/smisa members/shareholders didnt have a stake in this, or indeed shouldnt be involved in the process. Quite clearly our chairman said we would be involved, consulted and kept informed. 
So far he has got nothing out of three on that front, and that is a major concern we were promised!

He didn't say involved, consulted and kept informed specifically about this though.
The club has a stake in this and I'm sure fans will be kept informed via official statements and via smisa.

Just now, TPAFKATS said:

He didn't say involved, consulted and kept informed specifically about this though.
The club has a stake in this and I'm sure fans will be kept informed via official statements and via smisa.

Say what..? Leaving aside the small fact Project Brave wasnt really on the table a year ago. (So how could he say he would or wpuldnt consult?)

he said all big decisions and even cited the example of the family stand fans being shunted for sevco as an example of The kind of level he would consult at. This is much, much bigger and affects the short, medium and long term future of the club, and the game in Scotland.

if you disagree bud that is fine, you are entitled to your own opinion, but c 'mon... you dont think this is an important process the support should be involved in? 

Guest TPAFKATS
Say what..? Leaving aside the small fact Project Brave wasnt really on the table a year ago. (So how could he say he would or wpuldnt consult?)
he said all big decisions and even cited the example of the family stand fans being shunted for sevco as an example of The kind of level he would consult at. This is much, much bigger and affects the short, medium and long term future of the club, and the game in Scotland.
if you disagree bud that is fine, you are entitled to your own opinion, but c 'mon... you dont think this is an important process the support should be involved in? 

Well I was only quoting you saying he would consult. Now you say he couldn't.

I do disagree, as per my original post. The support centre consulted on every decision. The folk running the club need to make these decisions.
Inform yes, listen to any feedback fair enough.

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Well I was only quoting you saying he would consult. Now you say he couldn't.

I do disagree, as per my original post. The support centre consulted on every decision. The folk running the club need to make these decisions.
Inform yes, listen to any feedback fair enough.

Ha, ha.. nice try at deflection. You! Said he wasnt specific in saying he would consult over Project Brave.

I said he couldnt be specific about something he had no idea was coming. But he was specific about consulting on the big issues for club and country. I take  it you dont want to be involved in any consultation? Thats fine., but many, many, many others do. Thats why they Bought The Buds..! to stop us sleepwalking into oblivion. Surely no one wants to go back to having no influence over the stadium being re-branded, or given over to the old bigots?

Guest TPAFKATS

You can't consult the shareholders in every decision the club makes. You can inform them, together with an explanation of why a decision was arrived at.
We are in danger of demanding a vote on every decision the club make. We'll end up with nothing getting done!
Each member of smisa / buythebuds is a (very) minor shareholder who voted to elect a representative to the board of the Club.

LPM you're posts on here read like you aren't happy at the club being run the way you want with regards to almost everything.