Danny Lennon interview

Guest TPAFKATS

I still don't think that is the whole story and Danny Lennon is a giant among men for the way he has retained his dignity instead of retaliating.
I think that at the time he was also being undermined by some senior players to whom he stayed too loyal. (Not saying any Mair on that)
Danny was a young ambitious manager learning his trade as he was going along.
He re-invented himself having learned from what was happening around him, and as I said at the time, had we stuck with him we would have been the main beneficiaries of that steep learning curve.
We would most definitely bite anyone's hand off to be as "bad" as he had us when he left!!!
The mythical "next level" was all most fans could see... the board were more visionary... they wanted to take us in "a new direction" and oh how they achieved that!
Great interviews in which Danny retains dignity through restraint methinks.

I got the feeling Thommo and Tealo were trying to make the point that any success was in spite of the managers split and more to do with them signing and guiding the youngsters.

15 hours ago, TediousTom said:

I shall answer your rather pointed response in four stages, the last being a direct question to you.

1)  You are correct...toward the end of Mr Daniel Lennon's time as our manager I did use the phrase "wee clueless" to describe succinctly my opinion of his management at that time. 

2) Before the league cup win? My assertion to that is that you are simply incorrect.  Is is also of concern that you would actually remember such a post considering the passage of time.  Such behaviour could easily be considered unhealthy at best, I would venture more toward "wierd" and "obsessive" behaviour.  

3)  No

4)  What is your point?

In addition I would also re-iterate the original sentiment of my post where I attempted to convey the warmth with which I have come to regard Mr Daniel Lennon.  I genuinely wish the wee fellow all the best in his future.  

I think a few of us back then ,thought that Danny had reached the end of his tenure however we didn't know then that he was being undermined by the very guy who was hired to help him . I wonder if the board knew then what was happening. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think the main thing which wasn't discussed in the interview or the studio chat afterwards was Danny's transfer dealings and the number of players leaving by mutual consent in the following 2 windows.

I don't see much point in bashing him about 2 11th place finishes which happened before the rules were changed and 11th would go on to equal ending up in the relegation play off place. For 3 of Danny's 4 years 11th = safety. His 2nd 11th place came in the year we won the League cup and beat Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts and celtic in the cups that season and finished closer in terms of points to 6th placed Dundee United than 12th placed Dundee. His first season was the one time when we seriously looked like being relegated.

In hindsight Danny Lennon had us in a group of clubs where for most of his 4 seasons at the helm we were within a few points (plus or minus depending on the year) of Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle, Inverness Caley, Ross County, Dundee, Hibs and even Aberdeen (pre-McInnes) and with a squad which fans often said was a top 6 squad but yet only Kenny McLean has gone on to finish season in a top 6 team since leaving us. In the years since leaving us Craig Samson, Gary Harkins, Dougie Imrie, Darren McGregor, John McGinn, Paul McGowan, (Hasselbaink moved to St Johnstone but hardly got a game) etc who were all touted as top 6 players have yet to play at clubs finishing there. (Goncalves should get there this season),

Different ways to look at things I guess but finishing closer to 6th rather than 12th is irrelevant - we were still 11th ahead of only an underprepared Dundee team whose promotion didn't finally get confirmed as Rangers replacements until July (12th?), and behind Hearts who had been forced to get rid of their high earners by this point and were restricted in who they could bring in as replacements. With the exception of the Aberdeen game the Cup wins all came in that brief period when Isma was on fire. With no Rangers (again) and Hearts 15 given a points deduction in DL's final season he was virtually given a GOOJF card from the bottom spot again but we flirted with 11th spot and the relegation play-offs most of the season until the post-split Hibs game. 

Other than that brief run already mentioned and the first "quarter" of the 2011/12 season DL 's tenure reminded me of a guy who'd slept in and was eating his toast while running for the bus. Once the BoD had decided not to renew his contract which was accepted by virtually everyone as certain after the meeting which followed the Killie match midweek then the correct course would have been to acknowledge this and let DL take a final bow after the Hearts game.

It was the shabby nature of his departure and the laziness evident in choosing his successor that rankle now as they did three years ago.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Yet won more major trophies than almost every manager working in the SPFL today.

He underperformed right enough...

Almost every manager? Whit?

That's not even nearly true :lol:

The cup win was fantastic and Lennon deserved another season because of it.

However, there's a reason no club will go near him now. Even those he had a previous affinity with like Raith and Cowdenbeath have passed on him in recent weeks.

Almost every manager? Whit?

That's not even nearly true [emoji38]

The cup win was fantastic and Lennon deserved another season because of it.

However, there's a reason no club will go near him now. Even those he had a previous affinity with like Raith and Cowdenbeath have passed on him in recent weeks.

It's completely true.

Cheers.

7 out of 42 is almost every ?

f**king hell [emoji38]

Not withstanding that a good portion of them have only ever managed part time clubs, that's absolute bunk.

Please list the managers with a major trophy win. All 35 of them who have won one of the three major trophies available.

I still don't really get why Craig was brought in in the first place if he was too "old school". He was the board's choice rather than Lennon's? Interesting though that the board seemed to follow the same pattern after Craig went: Murray painted as the 21st century manager followed by the more traditional Alec Rae.

Regarding Austin MacPhee, Scottish football is very conservative and tends to stick to those who have been part of the scene for a long time without being particularly successful. Gary Locke, Jim McInally and Jim Duffy all come to mind. It's hard to imagine a Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger coming out of our environment as there is a lot of suspicion surrounding guys like Cathro and MacPhee who haven't been "top level players". You forever hear it on the radio from old pros like Allan Preston. I applaud Ann Budge for giving them a chance and hope she sticks with them. 

Please list the managers with a major trophy win. All 35 of them who have won one of the three major trophies available.

What a bizarre exchange.

Brendan Rodgers
Derek McInness
Tommy Wright
Jim McIntyre
Neil Lennon
Peter Houston
John Hughes

Aye almost every right enough :lol:

18 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Our Ex-Chairman posted on twitter that he doesn't fully agree with DL's version of events however he prefers a dignified silence for the good name of SMFC.

Our ex-chairman can f**k off as far as i'm concerned. An absolute shocker of a man and i'll never forgive him or the rest of them for the mess they've left us in.

DL had a smaller budget than GUS. This budget was then reduced every season. I was at the meeting when we finished 8th and because of rangers gilmour was nearly in tears as he stated we were in a good position extra cash available however he was forced to budget for 11th.

DL did well for St Mirren and I am in no doubt we would not have won the cup without him

23 minutes ago, Soctty said:

His utter dimness almost knocked me off track for a moment - it's not that difficult to understand, surely?

TC was so quick to try amd put you down that he didnt read your post properly.

Now he wont have the decency to realise his obvious daft mistake and back down.

Its hilarious.

Danny Lennon will always be remembered fondly for giving us another national cup but my memory isn't that bad we were pretty woeful a lot of the time under Danny... Who knew what calamitous decisions the old BOD were about to make. It's pretty irrelevant now, it's all history and it's what's happening now that matters.

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Our ex-chairman can f**k off as far as i'm concerned. An absolute shocker of a man and i'll never forgive him or the rest of them for the mess they've left us in.

However those of us who remember the dark days of the early 1990's remember with clarity just how precarious our club's existence was and the wonderful job that Mr S Gilmour and Mr G Campbell played in staving off likely extinction.

If someone had come to any reasonable supporter and said "Today it is 1993, in 2017 the club will be languishing in the second tier of Scottish football however in that time we will win two promotions, win the challenge cup once (hopefully twice by the end of this month), be to two league cup finals and actually winning one, have a new all seated stadium, a custom built training facility of our own and be debt free" then I would say with a degree of certainty that any supporter more intelligent than a potato would have bitten your hand off for that. 

Still that Reg Brealey may have done better eh?