Sevco /Celtic We Can Do Without Them

shull

BILL LECKIE says .........:thumbs2

SCOTTISH football is heading for a disaster.

Not the kind that means missing out on the World Cup for another 30 years, running out of money to pay players the average worker’s annual salary in a week or Brexit causing a Bovril shortage.

No, I’m talking about the kind of disaster where people die.

The kind that was never again meant to happen after 66 souls lost their lives at Ibrox in 1971 but which wasn’t taken seriously until 96 didn’t make it home from Hillsborough 18 years later.

The kind that was supposed to be taken out of the equation by all-seater stadia and high-tech turnstiles that would, in time, educate us to enjoy watching football in comfort and safety.

Trouble is, that equation doesn’t add up once you factor in the kind of halfwit who lacks the basic sense not to trample over their own mates in the name of celebration.

Because without that, all the computerised entry systems and carefully-calculated capacity levels in the world won’t save us from the day or night when horror strikes.

And as Sunday at Rubgy Park in Kilmarnock proves only too well, that horror is looming unless drastic action is taken right now.

An exit gate forced open by visiting Rangers fans “impatient” at the length of time it was taking to search them. Every aisle in the away stand jammed with punters. A last-gasp winning goal marked by the kind of pitch invasion that has crept back into fashion.

Then, most worryingly of all, morons dancing on the roof of an enclosure for disabled supporters — their own fellow Rangers supporters, by the way — before crashing through and landing on a helpless guy in a wheelchair.

If these had been scenes that shocked the nation, that came from nowhere, then maybe we could write them off as a blip. First day of the season, bit over-excited, won’t happen again.

They weren’t, though. Sadly — frighteningly — they’re not only familiar but almost inevitable, especially when our two biggest clubs are involved.

Remember the chaos when celtic scored in a home Old Firm game back in March, when fans came over the barriers to dance and gloat and goad? Remember the lame-brain leaping about with a toddler under his arm?

All it needed that day was someone to trip and a domino effect might have crushed that little kiddie. All it needed was for the away section to take the bait, jump the hoardings and all bets would have been off.

That section of celtic fans, ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ, delight in hurling fireworks and smoke bombs without caring who they land on. They’ll tell you it’s all just a laugh, part of the game.

They’ll even tell you that without them, there would be no atmosphere at matches, because they lead the singing.

As the saying goes, though, it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And the way things are going, one lost eye might well be a result.

We came close to full-on carnage at the end of the 2016 Scottish Cup Final, below, when thousands of Hibs fans came on the Hampden pitch for what started out as a joyous release of relief and happiness only to morph into a level of vandalism and violence which was about one decent uppercut away from a riot.

They’ll even tell you that without them, there would be no atmosphere at matches, because they lead the singing.

Hibs fans raided the pitch after the 2016 Scottish Cup final

That was the day Scottish football, Police Scotland and the Scottish Government should have realised there was a problem to be dealt with.

But because we just about got away with it, they waited for the fuss to die down then swept it all under the carpet.

This, sadly, has been the policy of both Rangers and celtic for more than a century about the behaviour of an angry, obsessive and downright obnixious element of their respective supports.

My column in Monday’s sports pages centred on the contempt the Rangers end at Kilmarnock had shown for their own club’s much-publicised Anyone Everyone campaign — to make the club open to supporters of all faiths, colours and blahdy blah — by bawling a non-stop megamix of anti-Catholic anthems.

The club have said not one word 

about these anthems. They never do. Neither did they publicly criticise their own players for openly encouraging fans who came on the park.

Yet they were double-quick to accuse Kilmarnock of having crappy turnstiles, hopeless stewarding and even caned the flimsiness of that disabled enclosure, which really should have been tested for its roof’s ability to support a celebrating mob

Then, brass neck on brass neck, they deflected even further by sighing about how celtic fans at a women’s match between the clubs on the same day had made sexist and sectarian comments to their team — their gall only matched by those celtic fans issuing a statement about how they “take pride in our efforts to support access to football for all, irrespective of race, religion or sex”.

You know, apart from all those chants supporting the IRA and hating “Orange b*stards”.

Rangers fans, meanwhile, were giving me it tight on social media for not having mentioned some banner celtic fans had flown the previous day, because that’s how their tiny minds work.

This kind of rubbish, this He-Said-She-Said whataboutery, is what holds back any progress on this issue. Rather than addressing their own behaviour, each club instantly points at the other and reminds us of something THEY did.

And you what’s most insulting of all? That if and when some game somewhere does end in disaster, they’ll unite in grief — green-and-white and red, white and blue scarves entwined at the scene, fans of one side making sure they’re seen being all respectful at the other’s gates.

But the lawlessness of too many angers me. The hypocrisy of too many sickens me.

And the failure of those in power to do anything about either terrifies me.

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Nice to actually see someone address the reality of this in the media for once.

It has been done in the media a few times

Alec Cameron,Ian Archer and Gerry McNee all commented on them

Just words i'm afraid as it's just whataboutery by their fans blameless at their actions

Those in charge are to blame

I agree with docking points and we will see if the silent majority of decent fans we keep getting informed about will take action

57 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

It has been done in the media a few times

Alec Cameron,Ian Archer and Gerry McNee all commented on them

Just words i'm afraid as it's just whataboutery by their fans blameless at their actions

Those in charge are to blame

I agree with docking points and we will see if the silent majority of decent fans we keep getting informed about will take action

The whataboutery is sickening. The only thing Sevvies could say about the disabled shelter was that nobody mentioned a banner Celtic displayed (and it’s Killie’s fault the shelter wasn’t designed to be stood/jumped on).

If both teams just stood up, accepted responsibility and dealt with their fans, our game would be in a better place. But because nothing is done, they don’t give a toss.

I seen today that the fan who launched the seat at Pittodrie has a two and a half year ban from football. That’s a crap punishment considering that seat could have caused a severe brain injury, or even a fatality. It should have been a straight ban for life. Shitty punishments like that aren’t going to deter the assholes from doing this, especially with such a lenient sentence that’s now been set as a precedent.

Both sides can do something weekly and it’s just same old. If Hibs, ourselves and Dundee United do something in the same week, Scottish football will be in “crisis”.

It’s Everyone else’s fault Statement

As expected, Sevco fans forcing their way through the gates is - everyone else’s fault.

No apology for the actions of their own fans putting others at risk, and no mention of apology for the fans who could have seriously injured their disabled supporters.

Get these cunts to absolute f**k.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:06 AM, shull said:

BILL LECKIE says .........:thumbs2

SCOTTISH football is heading for a disaster.

Not the kind that means missing out on the World Cup for another 30 years, running out of money to pay players the average worker’s annual salary in a week or Brexit causing a Bovril shortage.

No, I’m talking about the kind of disaster where people die.

The kind that was never again meant to happen after 66 souls lost their lives at Ibrox in 1971 but which wasn’t taken seriously until 96 didn’t make it home from Hillsborough 18 years later.

The kind that was supposed to be taken out of the equation by all-seater stadia and high-tech turnstiles that would, in time, educate us to enjoy watching football in comfort and safety.

Trouble is, that equation doesn’t add up once you factor in the kind of halfwit who lacks the basic sense not to trample over their own mates in the name of celebration.

Because without that, all the computerised entry systems and carefully-calculated capacity levels in the world won’t save us from the day or night when horror strikes.

And as Sunday at Rubgy Park in Kilmarnock proves only too well, that horror is looming unless drastic action is taken right now.

An exit gate forced open by visiting Rangers fans “impatient” at the length of time it was taking to search them. Every aisle in the away stand jammed with punters. A last-gasp winning goal marked by the kind of pitch invasion that has crept back into fashion.

Then, most worryingly of all, morons dancing on the roof of an enclosure for disabled supporters — their own fellow Rangers supporters, by the way — before crashing through and landing on a helpless guy in a wheelchair.

If these had been scenes that shocked the nation, that came from nowhere, then maybe we could write them off as a blip. First day of the season, bit over-excited, won’t happen again.

They weren’t, though. Sadly — frighteningly — they’re not only familiar but almost inevitable, especially when our two biggest clubs are involved.

Remember the chaos when celtic scored in a home Old Firm game back in March, when fans came over the barriers to dance and gloat and goad? Remember the lame-brain leaping about with a toddler under his arm?

All it needed that day was someone to trip and a domino effect might have crushed that little kiddie. All it needed was for the away section to take the bait, jump the hoardings and all bets would have been off.

That section of celtic fans, ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ, delight in hurling fireworks and smoke bombs without caring who they land on. They’ll tell you it’s all just a laugh, part of the game.

As the saying goes, though, it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And the way things are going, one lost eye might well be a result.

We came close to full-on carnage at the end of the 2016 Scottish Cup Final, below, when thousands of Hibs fans came on the Hampden pitch for what started out as a joyous release of relief and happiness only to morph into a level of vandalism and violence which was about one decent uppercut away from a riot.

Hibs fans raided the pitch after the 2016 Scottish Cup final

That was the day Scottish football, Police Scotland and the Scottish Government should have realised there was a problem to be dealt with.

But because we just about got away with it, they waited for the fuss to die down then swept it all under the carpet.

This, sadly, has been the policy of both Rangers and celtic for more than a century about the behaviour of an angry, obsessive and downright obnixious element of their respective supports.

My column in Monday’s sports pages centred on the contempt the Rangers end at Kilmarnock had shown for their own club’s much-publicised Anyone Everyone campaign — to make the club open to supporters of all faiths, colours and blahdy blah — by bawling a non-stop megamix of anti-Catholic anthems.

The club have said not one word 

about these anthems. They never do. Neither did they publicly criticise their own players for openly encouraging fans who came on the park.

Yet they were double-quick to accuse Kilmarnock of having crappy turnstiles, hopeless stewarding and even caned the flimsiness of that disabled enclosure, which really should have been tested for its roof’s ability to support a celebrating mob

Then, brass neck on brass neck, they deflected even further by sighing about how celtic fans at a women’s match between the clubs on the same day had made sexist and sectarian comments to their team — their gall only matched by those celtic fans issuing a statement about how they “take pride in our efforts to support access to football for all, irrespective of race, religion or sex”.

You know, apart from all those chants supporting the IRA and hating “Orange b*stards”.

Rangers fans, meanwhile, were giving me it tight on social media for not having mentioned some banner celtic fans had flown the previous day, because that’s how their tiny minds work.

This kind of rubbish, this He-Said-She-Said whataboutery, is what holds back any progress on this issue. Rather than addressing their own behaviour, each club instantly points at the other and reminds us of something THEY did.

And you what’s most insulting of all? That if and when some game somewhere does end in disaster, they’ll unite in grief — green-and-white and red, white and blue scarves entwined at the scene, fans of one side making sure they’re seen being all respectful at the other’s gates.

But the lawlessness of too many angers me. The hypocrisy of too many sickens me.

And the failure of those in power to do anything about either terrifies me.

An excellent article. Thanks Cornwall. 

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

I thanked Ricky for posting it.  I'd never have seen it otherwise.  :)

That's what happens when you have a massive ignore list, you only read peoples posts that you, generally, agree or enjoy.

Poz was the same, he was trying to start his own private forum, maybe you should do the same? 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That's what happens when you have a massive ignore list, you only read peoples posts that you, generally, agree or enjoy.

Poz was the same, he was trying to start his own private forum, maybe you should do the same? 

Lol. Maybe you should join the real world. One where people treat each other with respect, whether or not they agree with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shame that the BBC told the truth again - till someone told them to stop that sort of thing.  It upsets the natives.

The Beeb lost its bottle.   Here is what their article honestly said, originally. 

The last two paragraphs have been cut.

(Seems fair... as Clubs only go out of business and lose their history in engerland, I guess?)

not rangers.jpg

Yes it's the same song.

We know the meaning of it is against the bigots rather than the Queen and Pope per se.
Well meaning but ironically double sectarian!

I fought long and hard for many a year in the face of a lot of denial and abuse from fellow fans who felt it was ok to sing f*** the pope and f*** the queen!

We have come a long way.

We still have a long way to go.

It's not enough to not join in... We MUST oppose sectarianism at every opportunity... Regardless of the personal cost.