Sevco /Celtic We Can Do Without Them

shull

3 minutes ago, Slarti said:
27 minutes ago, saint in exile said:
Agree with what you say, but this isn't a fan. This was a guy on the pitch abusing a fellow professional.  He should get a hefty ban, and the club fined.
In fact, I'd go as far as banning the referee for not dealing with it appropriately.

How should a referee deal with a "he said/she said" situation?

There were witnesses - other teammates - to what was said. 

21 minutes ago, Slarti said:
24 minutes ago, saint in exile said:
There were witnesses - other teammates - to what was said. 

So a few players from one team accuse a player from another team of saying something and the ref should just believe them?

I don't know what was said, but from the reaction of Kamara it was something nasty.

There are plenty of examples of the referee siding with one player's account of an incident against another's. Its part of the game. It's especially prevalent in contested penalty incidents, so why not in situations such as this?  If he sent off the SP guy, and then it was proven nothing racial was said, then the guy would have won an appeal, as happens in any other circumstance.

Didn't the referee book Kudela, for his part in the incident?

Edited by saint in exile

I don't know what was said, but from the reaction of Kamara it was something nasty.
There are plenty of examples of the referee siding with one player's account of an incident against another's. Its part of the game. It's especially prevalent in contested penalty incidents, so why not in situations such as this?  If he sent off the SP guy, and then it was proven nothing racial was said, then the guy would have won an appeal, as happens in any other circumstance.
Didn't the referee book Kudela, for his part in the incident?

You don't know what was said, I don't know and the ref doesn't know. End of story.

Really??? There are plenty of examples of referees taking a player's account of something they (or their assistants) never saw and awarding penalties? I think you're talking shite there.

I have no idea who got booked or for what. I never saw it as I have no interest in watching Sevco games.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

You don't know what was said, I don't know and the ref doesn't know. End of story.
Really??? There are plenty of examples of referees taking a player's account of something they (or their assistants) never saw and awarding penalties? I think you're talking shite there.
I have no idea who got booked or for what. I never saw it as I have no interest in watching Sevco games.

No, there are plenty of examples in the "he dived....naw ah didnae" category, for example. Or when a player claims to have been hit by another, gets the other guy sent off, but the decision is wrong. The stats on red cards being overturned would back that up.

Also, I don't think it's "end of story".  I think this will simmer for a while yet.

2 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Agree with what you say, but this isn't a fan. 

I know it’s not a fan but sevco are complaining about a comment from one guy while they turn a blind eye to 50k fans singing anti catholic songs

Cant have it both ways sevco.

Just now, HSS said:

I know it’s not a fan but sevco are complaining about a comment from one guy while they turn a blind eye to 50k fans singing anti catholic songs

Cant have it both ways sevco.

We all know that the fans of the arse cheeks are, in the main, bigoted morons. But on the pitch, at least, the players tend to leave that in the dressing room. There are very few died in the wool OF fans playing for them now, anyway.

As for having it their own way, haven't they been doing that for decades?

No, there are plenty of examples in the "he dived....naw ah didnae" category, for example. Or when a player claims to have been hit by another, gets the other guy sent off, but the decision is wrong. The stats on red cards being overturned would back that up.
Also, I don't think it's "end of story".  I think this will simmer for a while yet.

So you're comparing apples with hippos.

It may well "simmer", but without any corroborating evidence it's really a non-story and definitely non-actionable.

4 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Agree with what you say, but this isn't a fan. This was a guy on the pitch abusing a fellow professional.  He should get a hefty ban, and the club fined.

In fact, I'd go as far as banning the referee for not dealing with it appropriately.

How can you blame the ref?

The only one who heard it was Kamara

How can he act on he said she said

We all know fitba players are fine,honest and upstanding people

Gerard has more faces than the toon hall clock

His stance over the Eva incident spring to mind

There is no doubt, IMO, the reaction of the Rangers players confirms this wasn't another player "swearing" at him, as claimed by Prague.

That claim, in itself, again IMO, indicates it was more than that.

How far this can/will go, who knows as, ultimately, there is an element of doubt to conclusively prove what was said.

PS If this had happened to a St Mirren player I'd imagine the responses would be slightly different. 

Edited by faraway saint

18 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

How can you blame the ref?

The only one who heard it was Kamara

How can he act on he said she said

We all know fitba players are fine,honest and upstanding people

Gerard has more faces than the toon hall clock

His stance over the Eva incident spring to mind

I didn't blame the ref. I said he handled it badly. The only person to blame, if it was a racist remark, is the guy who said it. If it can be proven he didn't, then Kamara should get his arse kicked.

I didn't blame the ref. I said he handled it badly.

So you would ban the ref even though you don't blame him for anything.

What actually is the appropriate response, in your opinion, for the ref to take for a comment that no officials heard and that, no doubt, the accused would deny? Whether or not you, or the ref, thinks that the accuser is telling the truth is irrelevant, as without evidence, there is no action to take.

11 minutes ago, Slarti said:

So you would ban the ref even though you don't blame him for anything.

What actually is the appropriate response, in your opinion, for the ref to take for a comment that no officials heard and that, no doubt, the accused would deny? Whether or not you, or the ref, thinks that the accuser is telling the truth is irrelevant, as without evidence, there is no action to take.

No, I don't blame him for the incident. I believe he handled the situation badly and allowed it to get out of his control.  Refs have been banned for that in the past.

Yes, the accused has denied it, but I'm sure that at least 2 Rangers players heard what was said.  It may have been racist, I may have been something else. Whatever it was, you can gauge by Kamara's reaction that he wasn't being wished a Happy Birthday.  If it was a benign comment, then Kamara's up for an Oscar this month.

One last point and then I'm out. Patrice Evra claimed during a match that Luis Suarez made racists towards him. There were no independent witnesses and the ref took no action, even though Evra told him what had happened. Suarez was later fined and banned. One player's word against another's.

No, I don't blame him for the incident. I believe he handled the situation badly and allowed it to get out of his control.  Refs have been banned for that in the past.
Yes, the accused has denied it, but I'm sure that at least 2 Rangers players heard what was said.  It may have been racist, I may have been something else. Whatever it was, you can gauge by Kamara's reaction that he wasn't being wished a Happy Birthday.  If it was a benign comment, then Kamara's up for an Oscar this month.

I've not read any other rangers player saying they actually heard anything.

One last point and then I'm out. Patrice Evra claimed during a match that Luis Suarez made racists towards him. There were no independent witnesses and the ref took no action, even though Evra told him what had happened. Suarez was later fined and banned. One player's word against another's.
And that's exactly my point. What happens afterwards is a totally different matter. At the time, the ref had no evidence to take action and so didn't. The same in this situation, so how exactly did he handle it badly? You think he should have sent a player off on the word of an opposition player. That WOULD have been bad handling of the situation.

Yeah, because players are known to all be honest about things that happen during games and not overreacting. Like Rivaldo?

27 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Yeah, because players are known to all be honest about things that happen during games and not overreacting. Like Rivaldo?

If you'd seen the incident you'd have been able to see this wasn't an over reaction to a "swear word" as claimed by Prague.

In fact, as you haven't seen it it's probably best you let it go, although I doubt you will. 

PS using an extreme case like Rivaldo is a stupid comparison, but you know that, right? 

Edited by faraway saint

13 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I've not read any other rangers player saying they actually heard anything.

As for Kudela's version of events on the pitch, Kamara described that as "a complete utter lie, which does not stand up to any form of scrutiny", adding that it was loud enough for team-mate Bongani Zungu to overhear.

If you'd seen the incident you'd have been able to see this wasn't an over reaction to a "swear word" as claimed by Prague.
In fact, as you haven't seen it it's probably best you let it go, although I doubt you will. 
PS using an extreme case like Rivaldo is a stupid comparison, but you know that, right? 

But i don't need to have seen it. The fact is that none of the officials heard it, so no action could be taken. I'm not saying that there was/wasn't a racial comment involved, all I am pointing out is that the ref didn't handle it badly, as claimed, he handled it in the only logical way he could.

Rivaldo isn't a stupid comparison, simply because I wasn't comparing anything. I was using it as a well known example of what I was saying.

Rangers' Glen Kamara insists he was racially abused by Ondrej Kudela and said the Slavia Prague player's denial is "a complete utter lie".

As already pointed out, footballers are well known to be "completely honest".

As for Kudela's version of events on the pitch, Kamara described that as "a complete utter lie, which does not stand up to any form of scrutiny", adding that it was loud enough for team-mate Bongani Zungu to overhear.

And again.

SLAVIA PRAGUE keeper Premysl Kovar appeared to confirm team mate Ondrej Kudela called Rangers star Glen Kamara a 'f***ing monkey' in a sensational voice recording.

But a bombshell voice recording left by Slavia back-up keeper Kovar, who was one of two keepers on the bench for the visitors, which was released into Czech social media may blow their claim out of the water.

Kovar said in the recording: "We were kept on the field for an hour because of 'Kudy.' He told the man he was a f***ing monkey."