Scotland Football Club

shull

1 minute ago, linwood buddie said:

Sorry Sir International Football Expert please let us share your obvious experience of following international football🙏🏻

No not an expert (well I am really but I don’t need to be to point this out). Just pointing out that there was a reason we were playing Israel tonight. To quote you “penalties to beat Israel”. Why shouldn’t we need penalties to beat Israel? 
you do know don’t you why the semi finals were between Scotland, Israel, Norway and Serbia don’t you?

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No not an expert (well I am really but I don’t need to be to point this out). Just pointing out that there was a reason we were playing Israel tonight. To quote you “penalties to beat Israel”. Why shouldn’t we need penalties to beat Israel? 
you do know don’t you why the semi finals were between Scotland, Israel, Norway and Serbia don’t you?

No don’t know anything about the Euro Nations League play offs ,nothing no siree ,maybe you could fill me in .Give me a minute to grab some popcorn , your expertness.

8 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

So what's your prediction smart arse or you waiting till after the game ? 

You’re missing the point mate. Serbia beating us won’t mean your statement was correct.
The implication by both of you was that if we can only beat Israel on pens then we’ve no chance against Serbia. 
The 4 teams were in the semis because they prevailed from a division of teams all deemed to be of similar standard. 
Of course we might lose to Serbia (for what it’s worth I’m surprised they beat Norway tonight), but it’ll be no reflection whatsoever on the fact we only beat Israel on penalties. 
All 4 teams are of a similar standard. 
Just annoys me when old farts (I’m 54 by the way) are still daft enough to dismiss nations on the basis that they have not been a force historically speaking. 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You’re missing the point mate. Serbia beating us won’t mean your statement was correct.
The implication by both of you was that if we can only beat Israel on pens then we’ve no chance against Serbia. 
The 4 teams were in the semis because they prevailed from a division of teams all deemed to be of similar standard. 
Of course we might lose to Serbia (for what it’s worth I’m surprised they beat Norway tonight), but it’ll be no reflection whatsoever on the fact we only beat Israel on penalties. 
All 4 teams are of a similar standard. 
Just annoys me when old farts (I’m 54 by the way) are still daft enough to dismiss nations on the basis that they have not been a force historically speaking. 

If that's the case I'm not sure why your were quoting me,  I never mention penalties or Israel,  and I fancied Serbia would beat Norway, so that makes me smarter than you,, I was hoping for a Norway win, as Serbia will be a far harder game,  can we win ? of course and I hope we do, but my head says we wont,  

Lets see how the bookies price the game up,  do you think they'll agree with me ?? 

As dismal as last night's performance was, we are not without a chance of getting through against Serbia. Slim chance maybe, but still a chance. Unlikely results do happen. After all, Serbia had no chance of beating Norway last night (apparently).

Out of interest I had a wee look at the BBC's "Man of the Match" report.

Ryan Jack was the choice, with a score of 7.47

The next best was McBurnie with a score of 4.9 and the rest slowly dropping in numbers to O'Donnell.

With every player, bar one, under 5 this reflects my view we really didn't have a player who done anything of any worth. 

It's very disappointing, and worrying, that players over the last couple of years seem to leave club form in the dressing room.

At least no fans were fleeced to watch that rubbish. Israel was by far the better team, although no great shakes. Most of the Scotland players are vastly overrated and are found out when playing against international teams. Club form means nothing in that sphere. The manager, however, will no doubt feel encouraged enough to pick the same players (who couldn’t even manage one shot in a crucial game, remember) for the next games including against Serbia. It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone they have been fooled. 

33 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

At least no fans were fleeced to watch that rubbish. Israel was by far the better team, although no great shakes. Most of the Scotland players are vastly overrated and are found out when playing against international teams. Club form means nothing in that sphere. The manager, however, will no doubt feel encouraged enough to pick the same players (who couldn’t even manage one shot in a crucial game, remember) for the next games including against Serbia. It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone they have been fooled. 

Not that I bother about Scotland any more, but has that manager not managed to pick a defence that has been pretty much watertight for at least SIX  games when playing against international teams?

Rather a reasonable foundation on which to build I would suggest?

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

Not that I bother about Scotland any more, but has that manager not managed to pick a defence that has been pretty much watertight for at least SIX  games when playing against international teams?

Rather a reasonable foundation on which to build I would suggest?

Last 6 games we have leaked a goal in 4 of them, only 2 games that we have been "watertight" have been against San Marino and last night against Israel. 

Only one of these last 6 games have been against decent opposition, and that was the Czech Republic (reserve side due to covid outbreak) 

It is what it is, the manager can only pick the best he has to choose from, as I've mentioned, the majority of these players are not performing anywhere close to their club form.

All down to one game, 90 minutes, or maybe 120, from qualifying for a tournament and all that false hope will reemerge. 

11 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

If that's the case I'm not sure why your were quoting me,  I never mention penalties or Israel,  and I fancied Serbia would beat Norway, so that makes me smarter than you,, I was hoping for a Norway win, as Serbia will be a far harder game,  can we win ? of course and I hope we do, but my head says we wont,  

Lets see how the bookies price the game up,  do you think they'll agree with me ?? 

To be fair I may have misinterpreted your post and if so I humbly apologise.

I read it as if we need pens to beat Israel then Serbia will sweep us aside. I think that was an acceptable way to interpret the post, but re-reading it now, I can see you may have simply meant if we get through we’ll get gubbed.

Either way I still don’t think theirs much between the teams and I don’t think we’ll get swept aside. I do agree of course that the bookies will make Serbia favourites and probably rightly so.

Re Norway v Serbia, I had just been quite impressed with the way Norway have played in their recent games (particularly the mauling of NI) whereas I felt Serbia had been a bit more in the doldrums recently. 

I suppose it just goes to prove my point that there’s little between all the teams.

Head says we’ll lose 1-0 in Serbia.

Heart says we’ll win 2-1.

PS you did mention pens 😃

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

To be fair I may have misinterpreted your post and if so I humbly apologise.

I read it as if we need pens to beat Israel then Serbia will sweep us aside. I think that was an acceptable way to interpret the post, but re-reading it now, I can see you may have simply meant if we get through we’ll get gubbed.

Either way I still don’t think theirs much between the teams and I don’t think we’ll get swept aside. I do agree of course that the bookies will make Serbia favourites and probably rightly so.

Re Norway v Serbia, I had just been quite impressed with the way Norway have played in their recent games (particularly the mauling of NI) whereas I felt Serbia had been a bit more in the doldrums recently. 

I suppose it just goes to prove my point that there’s little between all the teams.

Head says we’ll lose 1-0 in Serbia.

Heart says we’ll win 2-1.

PS you did mention pens 😃

Apology accepted my friend,  probably the wrong choice of words on my part [brushed aside]  but I thought Serbia would be the ones to beat before a ball was kicked yesterday,  most of their squad play in the top leagues in Europe,  Italy, Spain, Germany, England and France,  It's not mission impossible but will be very very tough,  fingers x we can do it,  I'm that stupid I'll probably back them :lol:

This little description of the Serbian team by the BBC certainly explains why they beat Norway last night and also why we are underdogs against them.

"Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic came off the bench to score both his country's goals in Oslo, the second a delightful dinked finish.

His 6ft 3in frame makes him a threat in the air but he's far from just a physical player. His touch is fantastic - you know, for a big man - and is arguably the complete midfielder. Links to Europe's biggest clubs have been plentiful.

Sevilla's Nemanja Gudelj, Napoli's Nikola Maksimovic, and Dusan Tadic of Ajax started as the midfield three in Norway and bossed the game for large spells.

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic is a handful up top and played alongside Filip Djuricic, who plays for an impressive Sassuolo side in Serie A and scored twice in Serbia's World Cup qualifying win over Scotland in 2013.

Veteran captain Aleksandar Kolarov marshalled a back three which managed to keep Haaland quiet. And they didn't even call on Real Madrid's £54m striker Luka Jovic off the bench."

Edited by Prague Buddie

Thought it was a joke when I heard McGinn called into Scotland squad but on reflection it just about sums things up. Admittedly there are no fans presently , but pro footballers are there to entertain fans who have to pay for the privilege. This lot don't bother with that part, as they are not up to it. I just heard a sycophantic interview with Clarke where the interviewer danced around trying not to get the manager to admit the display was woeful. It was pathetic and Clarke got off the hook easily. Reminded me of bbc interviewing a government minister .