Scotland Football Club

shull

3 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

As it has now become the norm in this country that resignation is off the agenda, at least in football it’s possible to dismiss the person responsible. In which case, Clarke should be dispatched post haste. Quite a few in that team tonight ought never to be selected again. It’s not their fault though, that they are not up to the task, that lies with the person who selected them. Unfortunately that was the first whole match I have seen in ages and Scotland are worse than I had suspected. Literally, the international equivalent of Saints. Absolutely nothing up front and lacking fight. 

^^^^^ A copy/paste post repeated throughout this thread. :1eye

What a waste of oxygen. :byebye

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

Che Adams has got to be one of the worst players I've ever seen playing for Scotland - and thats saying something.

The game today was lost in midfield but having absolutely zero presence up front really didn't help.

To put him in that bracket, after the amount of players most of us have seen over the years, is just a knee jerk reaction.

He's scored 4 from 18, not exactly Harry kane but not the worst.

I do agree he's been poor over the last 2 or 3 games, seemed to take far too many touches, but he's certainly not been alone.

Look at Stewart, hardly on for long, took THREE touches when he was just outside the 6 yard box but I could go on.

As a team, very disappointing two games recently, even against Armenia, who were honking, we should have scored 4 or 5. 

The manager rightly has to carry some of the blame over these games, as he, along with pretty much the same players, took plaudits in the previous 8 games, which we won. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

To put him in that bracket, after the amount of players most of us have seen over the years, is just a knee jerk reaction.

He's scored 4 from 18, not exactly Harry kane but not the worst.

I do agree he's been poor over the last 2 or 3 games, seemed to take far too many touches, but he's certainly not been alone.

Look at Stewart, hardly on for long, took THREE touches when he was just outside the 6 yard box but I could go on.

As a team, very disappointing two games recently, even against Armenia, who were honking, we should have scored 4 or 5. 

The manager rightly has to carry some of the blame over these games, as he, along with pretty much the same players, took plaudits in the previous 8 games, which we won. 

I just don't see any positive attributes from him. He's got no presence at all as a striker, isn't fast, isn't strong, doesn't score etc. 

I agree he was far from the only problem today. Many of them had really bad games and the managers lack of ability to change anything is a big problem as well.

It's just baffling that Adams seems to be a stick-on to start every game and it seems like its based on absolutely nothing as I don't see what he contributes at all.  

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

I just don't see any positive attributes from him. He's got no presence at all as a striker, isn't fast, isn't strong, doesn't score etc. 

I agree he was far from the only problem today. Many of them had really bad games and the managers lack of ability to change anything is a big problem as well.

It's just baffling that Adams seems to be a stick-on to start every game and it seems like its based on absolutely nothing as I don't see what he contributes at all.  

He does score, 4 from 18?

The managers lack of ability has won us 9 from 11.

Not sure who you think would be better than Adams, playing in the top league? 

THIS sums up what quite a few of us have been saying over the last few weeks..................................

Key players tired and out of form

After a long season, some of Scotland's marquee players looked leggy in Dublin, and many of them have not come off the back of stellar club seasons.

The Ireland defeat was Robertson's 58th game of the campaign after Liverpool played every club game they could have this term, and the captain failed to get up and down in his usual manner.

Callum McGregor has played even more club minutes, and is another to have started all three matches for Scotland.

Scott McTominay has been part of a struggling Manchester United team and toiled at centre-back against Ukraine while giving away possession 14 times in midfield against Ireland, while Grant Hanley and Billy Gilmour were part of a poor Norwich side which were relegated from the Premier League, conceding 84 goals and scoring just 23.

John McGinn has also been far from his best recently for Aston Villa, while striker Che Adams hasn't scored since February. It's not an ideal recipe for a small nation when the spine of your team is out of form.

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

THIS sums up what quite a few of us have been saying over the last few weeks..................................

Key players tired and out of form

After a long season, some of Scotland's marquee players looked leggy in Dublin, and many of them have not come off the back of stellar club seasons.

The Ireland defeat was Robertson's 58th game of the campaign after Liverpool played every club game they could have this term, and the captain failed to get up and down in his usual manner.

Callum McGregor has played even more club minutes, and is another to have started all three matches for Scotland.

Scott McTominay has been part of a struggling Manchester United team and toiled at centre-back against Ukraine while giving away possession 14 times in midfield against Ireland, while Grant Hanley and Billy Gilmour were part of a poor Norwich side which were relegated from the Premier League, conceding 84 goals and scoring just 23.

John McGinn has also been far from his best recently for Aston Villa, while striker Che Adams hasn't scored since February. It's not an ideal recipe for a small nation when the spine of your team is out of form.

I don't swallow the excuse the players have had a long season tired etc, all the the players from all teams are in the same boat. most of the Ukraine players hadn't played for months with the stress of their country being bombed which would have been more challenging.

That performance is down to 3 things. 

The players

Maybe players just aren't good enough or not as good as they think they are

The manager/Coach 

Tactically naive for the modern game.  the manager for me has been found wanting in these big games, the set up in the Croatia and Ukraine games in particular 

Scottish Football

We just haven't evolved in the way we play. 

If your a big lump of wood and hopeless your in the team as a defender if your a greedy Bastard and never pass your the striker,  it hasn't changed in my lifetime.

I watched the new young Italian team last night,  looking at every player individually you could never tell who was a defender who was a midfielder or striker every player was technically gifted and comfortable on the ball and could pass the ball with ease

Unsurprisingly there wasn't a big lump of wood in sight 

We need football players all over the park and not just in the Middle at The back and up front and stick with them 

Billy Gilmore hasn't had a good season was the wrong choice moving to Norwich but if fit would never be out my team. Rangers have another young guy coming through who has the potential to be even better 18 year old Alex Lowry think he's going to the top and should be the Scotland squad right now 

44 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Billy Gilmore hasn't had a good season was the wrong choice moving to Norwich but if fit would never be out my team. Rangers have another young guy coming through who has the potential to be even better 18 year old Alex Lowry think he's going to the top and should be the Scotland squad right now 

We could bounce this about all day BUT Lowry should be in the Scotland squad? :lol:

27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

We could bounce this about all day BUT Lowry should be in the Scotland squad? :lol:

A lot of sense in what Port said but , at the moment, I think young Lowry has as much chance of being in the squad as you have of being on mastermind. But….give him a year or two and he might well make it. You on the other hand…..   

5 hours ago, Rascal said:

Starting the day off with some reading after breakfast. A short drive later to take a walk in the country before a mid afternoon meal. 

1 minute ago, Rascal said:

A lot of sense in what Port said but , at the moment, I think young Lowry has as much chance of being in the squad as you have of being on mastermind. But….give him a year or two and he might well make it. You on the other hand…..   

Aye, but at the same time I don't make shite up.  :1eye

Must be in the Guinness Book of Records for telling whoppers. :lol:

1 minute ago, portmahomack saint said:

Told you before I'm a master at spotting real talent... and you should be paying me homage and total respect 

GIF by HULU

This lads going all the way..... Young Alex that is not me I'm already there :king 

I spoke my Rangers supporting mate, lightweight and nowhere close to the full Scotland squad, hardly got 90 minutes for Rangers last season.

You have told me lots before, my sides are still aching mate. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I spoke my Rangers supporting mate, lightweight and nowhere close to the full Scotland squad, hardly got 90 minutes for Rangers last season.

You have told me lots before, my sides are still aching mate. :lol:

You're hanging about with Ricky too much starting to tell porkies... you don't have any pals  :lol: